[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Local Traffic Report

Perchoutofwater

Listening to the radio on the way into work I heard the local traffic report. I work in a city of roughly 100,000 people. There are quite a few rural suburbs. There were two wrecks mentioned on the traffic report causing delays. The first was a woman hit a group of wild hogs disabling her vehicle. The second was a lady hit a horse disabling the vehicle and causing medical personnel to have to come to the scene. I just kind of got a kick out of that. I live out in the sticks, but both of these were in fairly heavily populated areas.

Here in the DC area, I turn on the traffic radio as a little moment of comic relief. You absolutely never know what is going to be on there. I've heard everything from buses on fire to an office chair landing on its wheels on the Beltway, moving lanes from one traffic report to the next. We've had a truck load of potatoes dumped on the highway as well as about 2000 lbs of black powder. We've had themed days such as ladder day when 4 separate tie ups were reported simultaneously because ladders had fallen off vehicles into the road. However, the best may have been when an ostrich had escaped from a farm and was running around terrorizing vehicles.

I'm up to 7 and counting this year. I'll probably get another one or two this weekend.

Perhaps you can convince the Texas Animal Damage Control Service (or some other state agency) to provide you with one of these to assist you with your public works.

Edited by Furd

There's an interesting article in this month's Smithsonian about the wild hog population explosion across much of the US.

I hope than you are drawing down on the local swine Perch.

There was a great show on eitehr Discovery or the History channel called "Pig Bomb" that described the growing threat of feral hogs arcoss the US.

Good watch if it gets repeated.

Perhaps you can convince the Texas Animal Damage Control Service (or some other state agency) to provide you with one of these to assist you with your public works.

No thanks. For the money I'd rather have the Leupold VX 3 with a B&C reticle over that Russian piece of crap. I have no need for the suppressor so that is just money wasted. I can get a much more accurate gun for 1/2 that. It won't look as cool but it will be a lot cheaper and more accurate.

Here in the DC area, I turn on the traffic radio as a little moment of comic relief. You absolutely never know what is going to be on there. I've heard everything from buses on fire to an office chair landing on its wheels on the Beltway, moving lanes from one traffic report to the next. We've had a truck load of potatoes dumped on the highway as well as about 2000 lbs of black powder. We've had themed days such as ladder day when 4 separate tie ups were reported simultaneously because ladders had fallen off vehicles into the road. However, the best may have been when an ostrich had escaped from a farm and was running around terrorizing vehicles.

Oh man the stories I could tell you from my days as a beltway bandit. Car-B-Qs are almost a common side around old 495. I've seen sheep dodging traffic after a wreck, I've been stuck in traffic for so long around the 270 spur that I got out of my car and walked up 5 cars to an ice cream truck and bought me a giant cookie ice cream sammich, I've gotten behind Flounder during the "Smell my Face Beltway Race" and followed him from Rockville to just past bridge heading to Tyson's corner, I've seen accidents happen right in front of me and no one stopping, just swerving around the wrecks, I've seen paint spilled, domestic argument that spilled out of the mini-van during rush hour, A bus full of Orthodox Rabbis that got out of the bus on the shoulder and were sitting there in a line, been stopped before and waiting for 3 hours after one of the sniper shootings, seen a hooker walking down 495 heading from Largo to Oxen hill, a dude pissing off of the old Windrow Wilson Bridge, and I've seen a tractor trailer jack knife and pass right over a mini-coop with hardly any damage to the roof (though that one was on 695 up in Baltimore).

Down here, if you sit in traffic for more than 15 minutes, it hits the news. Up there, 5+ hours then it hits the news.

There's an interesting article in this month's Smithsonian about the wild hog population explosion across much of the US.

Hmm - Wild hog population growing and temps going up - Penny Laneing Global Warming!!!!

Edited by gbpfan1231

No thanks. For the money I'd rather have the Leupold VX 3 with a B&C reticle over that Russian piece of crap. I have no need for the suppressor so that is just money wasted. I can get a much more accurate gun for 1/2 that. It won't look as cool but it will be a lot cheaper and more accurate.

Dragonuvs are way cool.

Dragonuvs are way cool.

It is a cool looking gun, I won't argue that. I don't particularly care for the scope and have no need for the suppressor. I can get a much more accurate gun with a much better scope for less than 1/2 of what they want for that. It won't look as cool or scary, but it will get the job done, and better.

yup we have them up here also. hunted them last winter. i didn't get one but we did get 2. sumbithces are worse than turkeys on crops and acorns.