[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Knee Injury

Dutch Oven

In my complete awesomeness, I busted my arse on the ice Saturday night and did something to my knee. It hurt like hell yesterday, but isn't that bad today. I can walk on it, but my knee is very tight in the front causing me to walk with a bit of a limp. Is this tightness just swelling in the knee that may go down in a day or two? I really don't want to go to an ortho and blow my insurance premium on an MRI if I don't have to. Neve had a knee injury before so I thought I would see if anyone has experienced this.

Thanks fellers.

In my complete awesomeness, I busted my arse on the ice Saturday night and did something to my knee. It hurt like hell yesterday, but isn't that bad today. I can walk on it, but my knee is very tight in the front causing me to walk with a bit of a limp. Is this tightness just swelling in the knee that may go down in a day or two? I really don't want to go to an ortho and blow my insurance premium on an MRI if I don't have to. Neve had a knee injury before so I thought I would see if anyone has experienced this.

Thanks fellers.

The tightness more than likely is swelling. As far as getting treatment, it depends on your lifestyle. If you are into sports, wait a few days and see how it feels. An ortho can do some basic tests for stability, and the most it may cost you is a co-pay. If he recommends an MRI, at that point you decide the next step. Because they generally don't recommend MRI's just for fun. It means they suspect some damage. At that point you just ask yourself how much $ do you want to spend to maintain a lifestyle.

I tore my ACL back in '97. Got it fixed because I was younger then and still wanted to play recreational sports. I tore it again (I think) about 2 years ago and have not gone to the doctor yet. Mainly because I know it's torn and I know what the solution is. I'm 41 now, and have been struggling with the decision to get it fixed. I probably will this year. I want to get back into playing soccer again.

The point is, I've gone two years, and at times I will feel discomfort, but can live with it.