[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Grandma needs a phone

chester

She's 102 years old and an amazing woman. Lives by herself and is completely there mentally. Just decided that she wants a cell phone for emergencies. She already has one of those 911 buttons to press strapped to her arm but sometimes is out of distance to talk to the machine (taking out the garbage, small walks, etc). She is very hard of hearing and sight. She needs a phone that is loud and has hugh buttons that will never get used unless something happens. She could piggy-back on our plan (Verizon) or get a pay as you go thing. Anybody have experience with this Jitterbug type stuff?

ps

I could tell endless stories, but my favorite is 'you know how when you go to parades and see all those old WW2 veterens marching? When I was a kid, they were Civil War veterens'

Can't help ya there but had to :wacko: @ the veteran comment!

Agree. :tup:

She graduated from the University of Wisconsin in the 30s. We're talking about a woman during the depression. That's got to be rare.

and edit: not my Grandma, my wife's.

More phone info needed. In exchange I can add more of her early 20th century tales.

She graduated from the University of Wisconsin in the 30s. We're talking about a woman during the depression. That's got to be rare.

and edit: not my Grandma, my wife's.

More phone info needed. In exchange I can add more of her early 20th century tales.

Looked it up @ Consumer Reports (Recommended-60 in a range of 58-72)

CR's Take - Jitterbug J

A good choice for people who want a simple phone with a high level of service support. And a contract is not required.

HighsCompared to its predecessor (the Dial), the Jitterbug J is smaller, lighter, and has a larger, higher-resolution display. It also adds Bluetooth support and text messaging capability (though cost extra). Geared toward people who need a cell phone that's easy to use, the Jitterbug J's large, simple buttons are easy to see and master. The earpiece is very comfortable, as well. Most notable is the support from Great Call, the service provider. They don't charge extra for directory assistance, and they'll also remotely update your phone's address book if you call in, fax, or mail them a list of your contacts. It even has a dial tone to simulate the conventional-phone experience. Very good voice quality when talking, good when listening--on a par with many other CDMA phones. Adequate 4.5 hours of talk time. A good mixture of controls and features for making and taking calls. Excellent display and keypad readability under most lighting conditions. Has voice command.

LowsLacks many standard capabilities and features found on other phones such as voice memo, headset jack, programmable shortcuts, and multimedia capabilities (Web browser and music player), though meant to be a simple no-frills phone. Thicker than most. Earpiece volume control not easily accessible while on a call. Lacks single-key, last-number redial. Can't create custom preset text messages. Ringer is not easy to mute.

Now can we have more stories? :wacko:

ETA:

CNET likes it also...

Edited by rocknrobn26