[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Downtempo Music Suggestions?

Savage Beatings

Everyone who likes down tempo has a little Massive Attack in their collection. Citizen Cope doesn't fit squarely within this genre, but many of his songs get me in the same groove. Groove Armada isn't consistently down tempo, but much of their work would qualify. Moby, Bonobo, and Tosca are worth checking out. Iron and Wine and Sufjan Stevens are less techno/electronica - more folksy - but still. Going back a few years, Faithless (a DJ) put out some discs that are worth checking out.

But without question, get all four of Zero 7's albums and (at a minimum) Walkie-Talkie and Moon Safari by Air. Morcheeba was awesome before Skye left the band - Big Calm is still a favorite of mine. Kruder and Dorfmeister put out some super-stoney stuff a few years back (K&D Sessions). Although they've been around forever, the Flaming Lips certainly have some tracks that would fit the bill.

savage, I think you're already plenty familiar with portishead and the sneaker pimps? if not you might want to check them out.

getting ideas where this whole "downtempo" thing might come from from yo mama's post...you might dig some older brian eno ambient stuff, and kraftwerk, and maybe check out some terry riley (like "a rainbow in curved air").

and it may seem like a bit of a genre curveball, but for me, some jamaican dub music gives off a similar vibe. augustus pablo, king tubby, aston barrett, stuff like that.