[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vacation Houses in Michigan

Brentastic

Hey huddlers,

I've been looking on vrbo.com for some vacation homes in Michigan to rent. The site stands for Vacation Rentals By Owner - and it has tons of stuff. Problem is that the rentals are weekly and there are so many, it's tough to filter.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has a better approach to this? Trying to find a house that sleeps 10 people (5 couples), preferably on the lake and any other perks (boat, swimming pool etc...). I'm just trying to make the process easier but maybe that's not possible.

I just booked this one for four nights in July. It was one of the few I found that wasn't weekly. 10 people might be tough but it says sleeps 10. Also allows pets. It's a gated community at Shuss Mountain and Shanty Creek. They have access to a private beach and a community pool.

Seems like a great deal for $150 per night.

VRBO is not a weekly only site. I've rented many places using vrbo that haven't been weekly. Some properties, in high demand locations or during peak times, may only rent for a week, but it is not true of all properties. The filters they have on there aren't very good and usually I spend a lot of time searching before finding the right spot.

I just booked this one for four nights in July. It was one of the few I found that wasn't weekly. 10 people might be tough but it says sleeps 10. Also allows pets. It's a gated community at Shuss Mountain and Shanty Creek. They have access to a private beach and a community pool.

Torch Lake area might be my favorite place in the whole world. Gorgeous country. Amazing lake.

Also, had a terrific meal at Lulu's in Belliare last summer. Short's Microbrew was good too.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

VRBO is not a weekly only site. I've rented many places using vrbo that haven't been weekly. Some properties, in high demand locations or during peak times, may only rent for a week, but it is not true of all properties. The filters they have on there aren't very good and usually I spend a lot of time searching before finding the right spot.

This.

Even though the default may say "Weekly", you can contact the owner directly and make an offer for any length of stay you want, and leave it up to them on whether to take it. Most savvy owners would rather have 4 days of rental fees than have the place sit empty.

We do this all the time at the Jersey shore, and its never failed. Wait until the last minute, search for places that are still available, and make an offer. Most people will take something reasonable if their only other option is to have it sit empty and get nothing. remember, these places are investments for most of these owners, and they have mortgages on these properties. They need to pay the rent with your money, and in most cases don't want the place to sit unrented.

Yeah, I found one on that site I'd like to book, here.