[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Its April 6th!

tazinib1

Judge Susan Nelson told the players and owners in a Minnesota court Wednesday that she needs "a couple of weeks" to fairly decide whether to end the NFL lockout, approve it, or force the sides back to mediation.

Nelson "peppered" NFL owners counsel David Boies with questions during Wednesday's hearing, and it's believed the players continue to have the upper hand. Writes Profootballtalk's Mike Florio, a former practicing attorney, "In my own experience, the side that gets the bulk of the questions is the side that is teetering on the brink of defeat. ... At this point, there’s a good chance that Judge Nelson wants the NFL (owners) to realize that there’s an incentive to settle this thing quickly."

NFL Anti-Trust Judge Susan Nelson will take the case "under advisement" and will require a few weeks to issue a ruling about the lockout. She may side with the players and lift the lockout, she may side with the owners leaving the lockout intact or she may wait for the National Labor Relations Board to rule about the NFLPA union decertification being a sham. For now, lawyer-ball continues...

I hope for Florio's clients sake that he was a hell of a lot better at practicing law than he is at understanding football.

:wacko:

Ya know when I read who was credited with the comment, I shook my head and thought the same damned thing.

Will an appeal by either side delay football operations?

Yes, either side will indeed file an appeal - and yes, it will add at least a 4-6 week delay (2-4 weeks for the hearing date and another 2 weeks for the ruling) as it heads to the Eighth Circuit. The only ruling that gets football going again is a ruling for the injunction (for the players) that is not stayed (put on hold) during the appeal.

Yes, either side will indeed file an appeal - and yes, it will add at least a 4-6 week delay (2-4 weeks for the hearing date and another 2 weeks for the ruling) as it heads to the Eighth Circuit. The only ruling that gets football going again is a ruling for the injunction (for the players) that is not stayed (put on hold) during the appeal.

So a ruling for the players could get things going? What are the odds that we see that BEFORE the draft, thus kick starting a massive trading frenzy?

For the record, I have backed off rooting for either side. I just want this crap over with.

So a ruling for the players could get things going?

Yes, that's what the players are asking the judge for - an injunction that stops the lockout. But the owners would appeal that ruling.

What are the odds that we see that BEFORE the draft, thus kick starting a massive trading frenzy?

Judge Nelson will likely rule the week before the draft, maybe a bit earlier.

Spot on

Judge Nelson will likely rule the week before the draft, maybe a bit earlier.

I want this crap over with. And I would like to see something done before the draft so teams can pursue needs via FA. So..I guess I'm rooting for a player ruling for the sole reason to get things going again.

I want this crap over with. And I would like to see something done before the draft so teams can pursue needs via FA. So..I guess I'm rooting for a player ruling for the sole reason to get things going again.

No way this is done before the draft. The ruling will come before th draft, but then will most probably be immediately appealed by the losing side.

It's likely we won't see any FA movement for 2 months or more - most probably another month or so longer than even that as the sides finally sit down and try to hammer somthing out.

Edited by Bronco Billy

No way this is done before the draft. The ruling will come before th draft, but then will most probably be immediately appealed by the losing side.

But if the ruling is in favor of the players and the owners appeal is stayed, business would re-open. Alot of ifs, but there is a chance.

But if the ruling is in favor of the players and the owners appeal is stayed, business would re-open. Alot of ifs, but there is a chance.

That actually seems reasonably likely. From what I heard on Mike and Mike this morning, the judge sort of intimated that was where she was heading. Siding with the players to lift the lock-out and declare business as usual while the owners appealed. Now, that doesn't mean the owners have to do anything, so it could all be for not. However, I don't see why the owners wouldn't want to do things to improve their teams competitively in the likely event that this thing gets worked out and there is football. Perhaps it damages their case if they go about business as usual?

I hadn't heard this before, but Vrabel the beer thief apparently wants the owners and players to meet, sans lawyers. As he said, "Get the guys who write the checks in the room with the guys they write them to and figure something out." Good for him, I suppose, but careful what you ask for. My guess is that the owners have been to a few more of these rodeos than the players have...