[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Still playing patty-cake w/the "let's descecrate military funerals" aholes

BeeR

Well, at least people aren't keeping the Westboro church's name in the news by legislating against them, writing articles about them, or discussing them on message boa....ooops.

Let's face it, they're absolute publicity hounds. EVERY time you discuss them, they think an angel gets its wings. If there was any question about that in the least, it was answered when they decided they would picket Liz Taylor's funeral - "yes, god hates the US because we accept queers! Look at Liz Taylor, struck down after a long life of fame, wealth, and material comfort! You could be next!"

Let's face it, they're absolute publicity hounds. EVERY time you discuss them, they think an angel gets its wings. If there was any question about that in the least, it was answered when they decided they would picket Liz Taylor's funeral - "yes, god hates the US because we accept queers! Look at Liz Taylor, struck down after a long life of fame, wealth, and material comfort! You could be next!"

Happy to concede you're correct but I think the gay-hate thing has always been a running theme w/them, and I believe Taylor was a strong advocate for gays.

None of that is really relevant though. Permitting anyone to spew what they spew within audible or visual range of any funeral, never mind one for someone who died young giving their life for their country, is stupid and repulsive beyond words. Also ironic that the country they died for can't be bothered to handle this with even a shred of concern or common sense.

Edited by BeeR

It's not only military funerals they picket. There was a 15 year old girl abducted in our little town here about a year ago. When her body was found it was determined that she had been raped and then burned in an attempt to destroy evidence. The autopsy suggested that she was still alive while being set on fire as she had inhaled a bunch of smoke. The community held a vigil on a Sunday night for her in the town square and these Chia Pets showed up to protest that. I've never wanted to hurt someone so bad in my life as I did them that night. Bunch of ^%$#&^#@*%^$^% Chia Pets.

I take it that you consider the Constitution part of the legal system?

Exactly. The Supreme Court just handed down a 8-1 verdict in their favor. In my view, that was correct. However vile these people are (and God knows I have as much reason as anyone to detest them), they are the price that must be paid for free speech.

Selectively banning what we don't like is a very slippery slope, very easily traveled. What if a leftist government banned Glenn Beck? What if a rightist government banned Keith Olbermann? There are way too many people who want to ban this, that or the other without properly understanding the consequences in the longer term.

It's not only military funerals they picket.

This a good point which illustrates the element of political grandstanding involved in the legislation.

There's no real reason to treat a military funeral differently than any other funeral.

Permitting anyone to spew what they spew within audible or visual range of any funeral, never mind one for someone who died young giving their life for their country, is stupid and repulsive beyond words. Also ironic that the country they died for can't be bothered to handle this with even a shred of concern or common sense.

I think MANY people think long and hard about how to shut these arseholes up. But I tend to agree with Ursa - the first amendment isn't there to defend speech you like and agree with, it's there to defend speech you DON'T like, whether it be an intelligent opinion you disagree with, or unfortunately, vile and hateful speech in the service of nothing other than grandstanding.

Really, this is an example of speech that does nothing more, in the end, than hurt feelings. As reprehensible as it is, it isn't shouting "fire" in a crowded building or shouting "bomb" on an airplane.

I actually think a likely end result of Westboro's actions will be violence - someone is going to beat the sh*t out of them, or worse.

It's not only military funerals they picket. There was a 15 year old girl abducted in our little town here about a year ago. When her body was found it was determined that she had been raped and then burned in an attempt to destroy evidence. The autopsy suggested that she was still alive while being set on fire as she had inhaled a bunch of smoke. The community held a vigil on a Sunday night for her in the town square and these Chia Pets showed up to protest that. I've never wanted to hurt someone so bad in my life as I did them that night. Bunch of ^%$#&^#@*%^$^% Chia Pets.

I would happily provide an alibi and perjure (sp?) myself in court about it if you hurt em real bad. :wacko: "That's impossible your honor, he was at my house playing cards all night."

Re the "free speech" bit, frankly that's weak as hell. It's nowhere near that simple. Freedoms have limits, as they should. It's all a question of where to draw the line. And if you want to take the "hurt feelings don't matter" angle, then people should have the right to burn crosses in their yard if they want. Right?

Riiiiiiiight.

PS I am actually OK w/their right to spew their mindless, hateful BS based on the freedom of speech angle. Not just within visual or audible range of the funeral. How any sane person past the age of 2 can consider that unreasonable I've no idea. Yet our brilliant legal system disagrees. It's a joke.

Here's the thing though, they're not even dangerous. In fact, they may be the most unifying force in America. From Glenn Beck to Rachael Maddow, everyone and I mean everyone hates them, despises them. Their message, if anything, has the opposite effect. It causes compassion in the hearts of people who probably don't even like gays because they feel bad for what the family is going through. It causes patriotism to well up in even the most staunch anti-war, I wish we were France types because they're so outraged by the cruelty.

The last thing we need to give them is martyrdom status that would come with legally trying to shut them up. Mind you, we have decency laws. I mean you can't beat off at a funeral or anything, couldn't we find legal precedent in that?

Oh, and I agree on the absurdity of the Liz Taylor. Don't like gays or god will cut you down in your old age after a life of luxury. Let that be a lesson homo-lovers.

Here's the thing though, they're not even dangerous. In fact, they may be the most unifying force in America. From Glenn Beck to Rachael Maddow, everyone and I mean everyone hates them, despises them. Their message, if anything, has the opposite effect. It causes compassion in the hearts of people who probably don't even like gays because they feel bad for what the family is going through. It causes patriotism to well up in even the most staunch anti-war, I wish we were France types because they're so outraged by the cruelty.
Disagree completely w/your first sentence but otherwise good point.

The last thing we need to give them is martyrdom status that would come with legally trying to shut them up. Mind you, we have decency laws. I mean you can't beat off at a funeral or anything, couldn't we find legal precedent in that?
Darn. So much for the "you can do anything you want as long as nobody gets hurt" bit.

Anyway, there is IMO no way they become "martyrs" if they were legally restrained/shut up. More like much "about fn time" type rejoicing for reasons you already mentioned. They might, however, if someone beat the living #$%! out of them.

Worth the risk I think.

Edit: I take back that last comment. I think. Just wondering if a better idea would be to kidnap their leader and force him to pose in homo/cross-dressing poses, take photos/videos, and shoot em out worldwide.

Edited by BeeR

Disagree completely w/your first sentence but otherwise good point.

Darn. So much for the "you can do anything you want as long as nobody gets hurt" bit.

Anyway, there is IMO no way they become "martyrs" if they were legally restrained/shut up. More like much "about fn time" type rejoicing for reasons you already mentioned. They might, however, if someone beat the living #$%! out of them.

Worth the risk I think.

How are they dangerous? Besides the increasing possibility of violence erupting at one of the protests. I was talking "dangerous" the way radical organizations are dangerous, recruiting disenfranchised youth and growing in strength. Is Westboro Baptist growing much at all? Is there anyone outside of their pathetic little circle who is remotely sympathetic to their cause? Isn't it still pretty much dude's extended family?

Answered your own question. I wasn't saying they were comparable to the PLO or anything.

In which case they are really only dangerous to themselves, for the most part.