[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rotator cuff surgery

nuke'em ttg

I'm tryin ta hold off till winter so i can keep rollin at work now, but the pain wakes me up. I know Rehab is a big deal which i hate cause i'd rather be workin. Anybody been through this procedure? I watched a video on orthoscopic and that's still crude as hell, no wonder my knees hurt after those. I thought it was just 3 incisions and a little scope with a grinder not a friggen screwdriver jammed in there and then run the scope through that :wacko:

I had two shoulder surgeries after I blew out my shoulder lifting weights. Both of mine were actually under the knife, and I was up and at it ptetty fast. I bet you wonder why you waited so long. Getting rid of the pain was awesome.

I had two shoulder surgeries after I blew out my shoulder lifting weights. Both of mine were actually under the knife, and I was up and at it ptetty fast. I bet you wonder why you waited so long. Getting rid of the pain was awesome.

What's pretty fast Beau? are you sayin the knife is the way ta go, i thought that would be worse recovery time? my last cortizone only lasted maybe a week and i'm eatin aleve like M&M's

I'm just sick of surgeries and down time...did ya get yours fixed?

Nope. It's still a major pain in my ass so to speak. Blew it out when I was 16 and pitching in HS ball, Travel team ball, and American legion ball. I was throwing at least double the allowed innings for my age group.

A few years back it was feeling pretty good so I started throwing with a friend of mine. Was clocking a pretty good fastball and finally got the curve working again and then one night... POP. Right back where we started from all those years ago. I cant even throw darts for an entire league night anymore. Just hurts too damn much.

Nope. It's still a major pain in my ass so to speak. Blew it out when I was 16 and pitching in HS ball, Travel team ball, and American legion ball. I was throwing at least double the allowed innings for my age group.

A few years back it was feeling pretty good so I started throwing with a friend of mine. Was clocking a pretty good fastball and finally got the curve working again and then one night... POP. Right back where we started from all those years ago. I cant even throw darts for an entire league night anymore. Just hurts too damn much.

well i tell ya a chiropractor wasn't able ta keep me up and runnin like he did with by back, in the morning i have ta lift my right arm with my left ta get goin :wacko:

well i tell ya a chiropractor wasn't able ta keep me up and runnin like he did with by back, in the morning i have ta lift my right arm with my left ta get goin :wacko:

I have to to the exact same thing. Thing for you to keep in mind... It is taking a terrible toll on my elbow now as well. I am right handed and my left is now at least twice as strong as my right when it comes to work related stuff.

I have to to the exact same thing. Thing for you to keep in mind... It is taking a terrible toll on my elbow now as well. I am right handed and my left is now at least twice as strong as my right when it comes to work related stuff.

yep, same dang thing, i'm glad all i'm doin is unsrewin chit with my left hand and not havin ta fix chit with it :wacko:

I've had both shoulders done. The right one (full-knife,scar from the top all the way down to the arm pit) was 20 years ago. The left one was 3-4 years ago and it was scoped. The rehab seemed faster on the first one, but I was 18 years younger (41yo). The rehab on the left took 3x per week (started 2 weeks after surgery) for 3 months. I opted for 3 more months @ 2x per week to be sure (again age diff?). My Doc said no one does the full knife anymore except in special circumstances. He didn't elaborate.

On the first one, I went back to work after a week, but I was teaching AutoCad and I could minimize using it.

On the last one, I tried therapy first for a month. It seemed to be working but on an exercise one day I heard that 'snap' and that was that.

Any other questions, just ask. Good Luck!

Edited by rocknrobn26

I've had both shoulders done. The right one (full-knife,scar from the top all the way down to the arm pit) was 20 years ago. The left one was 3-4 years ago and it was scoped. The rehab seemed faster on the first one, but I was 18 years younger (41yo). The rehab on the left took 3x per week (started 2 weeks after surgery) for 3 months. I opted for 3 more months @ 2x per week to be sure (again age diff?). My Doc said no one does the full knife anymore except in special circumstances. He didn't elaborate.

On the first one, I went back to work after a week, but I was teaching AutoCad and I could minimize using it.

On the last one, I tried therapy first for a month. It seemed to be working but on an exercise one day I heard that 'snap' and that was that.

Any other questions, just ask. Good Luck!

is yer arm in a sling for awhile?

only time i really need it bigtime is liftin myself into the scuttle hole and crawlin thru trusses and gettin back down, and climbin a ladder

is yer arm in a sling for awhile?

only time i really need it bigtime is liftin myself into the scuttle hole and crawlin thru trusses and gettin back down, and climbin a ladder

It was in a sling for about a week...maybe two, mostly as a reminder not to use it. Methinks hefting yourself thru a scuttle hole is not a good idea until the PT gives you clearance.

I tore mine. The last straw was playing softball last Spring and diving for a ball in the outfield...stupid.

Went in for the Arthrogram (sp?) and that was painful, and decided rehab was the route to go. Mistake.

It still bothers me every day, and I haven't even gotten active this year. I'm in the same boat as you Nuke.

I tore mine. The last straw was playing softball last Spring and diving for a ball in the outfield...stupid.

Went in for the Arthrogram (sp?) and that was painful, and decided rehab was the route to go. Mistake.

It still bothers me every day, and I haven't even gotten active this year. I'm in the same boat as you Nuke.

So I take it I wont be inviting you out for golf this year then? :wacko:

Great info guys...thanks! My right one is in the same boat, Nuke. Keeps me awake aching, gotta use my left sometimes just to lift it where I need it. Now I'm having some nerve problems in that arm down to my hand. Harder and harder to just shake off.

Initially happened maybe 6 years ago...heard the pop. But I'd always heard rehabbing it took just as long as surgery/rehab. I think that was bum info now. Heartening to hear you did well with yours, Beau!

Edited by SteelBunz

Great info guys...thanks! My right one is in the same boat, Nuke. Keeps me awake aching, gotta use my left sometimes just to lift it where I need it. Now I'm having some nerve problems in that arm down to my hand. Harder and harder to just shake off.

Initially happened maybe 6 years ago...heard the pop. But I'd always heard rehabbing it took just as long as surgery/rehab. I think that was bum info now. Heartening to hear you did well with yours, Beau!

Yep same thing, it hurts between my knuckles, this isn't as bad of pain as Meningitis on my brain cell, but it's enough for me to wake up and say ARRRRRR Matey

I had rotator cuff surgery - subacromial decompression and repaired and moved a tendon that was "shredded". Apparently the tendon damage was not detected on the MRI, and the surgeon said he was surprised that I wasn't in more pain. I had spent a few months trying to do physical therapy, Advil, cortisone shot, etc. For a while there I couldn't lift my arm above my shoulder without a ton of pain. Nothing worked except the surgery. The recovery was mostly inconvenient. (Try brushing your teeth with your non-dominant arm) Anyway, IIRC it was 4 weeks in a sling where I did not take the arm out except for PT and simple stretching exercises. Had about 10 weeks of PT total. My full strength did not return for about 6 months. I consider the surgery a success, although the shoulder gets a little achy once in a while when the weather changes rapidly. Small price to pay considering where I was.

What's pretty fast Beau? are you sayin the knife is the way ta go, i thought that would be worse recovery time? my last cortizone only lasted maybe a week and i'm eatin aleve like M&M's

Of my two, one was an "open Bankart".

http://www.rcsed.ac.uk/journal/vol44_4/4440034.htm

Artho is less invasive and should have better recovery time. Even with back to back under the knife surgeries, I was up and playing basketball (against docs orders) in 5 weeks. The sling was only about 2-3 weeks if I recall correctly.

I was younger then (20 years old). But again, I think that the daily pain just ate away at you and no way I would put it off.

I was unable to change the radio in my vehicle, and finally had it done. It was that bad. I know each surgery is different based on the severity. Mine was about 8 years ago. They cut it, and cut one of the cuff tendons, don't know the exact name of this tendon, as tthe term rotator cuff as I understand it may mean different connective tendons...

With me, they cut the tendon clean, and scraped the point on my upper arm where it used to be attached. Then they stretched that cut tendon down my arm to the point at which it used to be attached and stapled it in place on the newly scraped bone. These "staples" eventually dissolve. The tendon re-attaches to the scraped bone as it heals natuarally. I was in a sling for a month. The first week was absolute agony. Just getting my hand under my armpit for washing was a mutha. If my elbow moved away from my body even a tiny bit, I was screaming. Forget about putting a shirt on, it wasn't possible. No way could I move my elbow away from my side even a half inch. I slept sitting up in a recliner. I could not even lay on my back.

I didn't start rehab until week 3. Until then it was just total immobilization. I was told it would be 6 months, but I got back to work in just over 3 months. Rehab was a very painful experience, but even my doc was surpised I came back so soon... the more pain in rehab, the more gain in my case. They termed mine a shoulder reconstruction.

When they have to cut the main tendon, scrape bone and stretch and staple, as I understand it, it's a worst case injury. I was 5 weeks after surgery, and another guy, same surgeon as mine had artho, and he was doing the same excersizes as me at just 2 weeks after the artho. Depends on the severity. Reconstruction is not artho. Much longer rehab and a boatload more pain.

The rotator cuff is actually a group of muscles/tendons and ligaments. Depends on what has to get fixed. Good luck.

I had my right shoulder scoped a few years ago. My doc had me start physical therapy almost immediately. It turned out to be one of the best things I ever did for myself because my shoulder has been pain-free ever since.

I had my right shoulder scoped a few years ago. My doc had me start physical therapy almost immediately. It turned out to be one of the best things I ever did for myself because my shoulder has been pain-free ever since.

:wacko: Looks like this would be a good Christmas present ta get myself, business slows anyway from Dec 15 ta Jan 15.

+1