[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cowboys Homers

Cowboyz1

How would Tyron Smith change the line. I am wondering how the line would shift. I think Free did enough the be the incumbent tackle going into training camp and although Columbo is a bit long in the tooth he is still the most solid linemen (when healthy) we have besides Gurode and Free. So that said who moves where? Say Smith takes Columbo's position then do you slide Mark to left Guard and release Kosiar. Or Does he take Free's left tackle position and slide Doug inside. Gurode at Center then what, Davis at right or does he get bumped.

The weakest link in the line I would say is Davis or Kosiar because of thier age and Kosiar breaking down. But is Smith better then both current tackles at draft time?

I am trying to figure out who gets bumped but can't really decide. I don't know if it's injuries that have slowed the line or talent.

Free was pretty solid against some stiff competition last year. Columbo is the heart and nastyness of the line. Gurode is a pro bowl center and doesn't get moved often but the knock on him is line calling and a whiffed snap or two. Kosiar was missed badly when he was injured but was it because he was doing the line calls or talent? Davis is just a big slow tank but can run block. I would say we need a guard short term more then tackle but in the long term it would be nice to have a star tackle ready to take over. But how do you sit the 9th pick. You can't, so who moves where and how will that effect the line.

What do you think?

Jerry has taken an OL in the 1st round only once and that was a bust (Jacob Rodgers). Hopeully, we get a CB to replace Newman. Look to free agency and the draft for depth, solid depth, and maybe we can find another Erik Williams in the 2nd or later. There are plenty of like rated OL in the draft, but only 2 stud CB's. Please, Jerry, get us a stud CB.

Jerry really has 4 paths he really could take:

1.) trade down and draft castonzo later (best option)

2.) take tyron smith (recommended)

3.) take prince amukamura (alright)

4.) the jerry jones option-draft a player that you have no need whatsovere at that position, BUT the player is flashy. julio jones! (not recommended)

oh and forget to add this- the normal way to prioritize these is 1 is you first 2 is your second option etc...jerry is likely prirotizing these backwards (4 is best option, 3 is second, 2 is third, and lastly is 1st). Gotta love over controlling owners that know nothing but how to make headlines

Edited by bostonsoxandy

Or Jerry Jones could do the smart thing and take JJ Watt.

I wouldn't mind this kid at all. Watt is a beast and if a Miller drops or Darius or peterson, I would like any of those players. I just don't know what a tackle would do to the line right now. A guard yes but a Tackle? Meehhh.

Columbo, Kosar and Davis all had poor years last year, no doubt. Much of it seem health related. If those guys have healthy legs that they can use to get to the point of attack with a defender, they'll be fine. If not, all their upper body strength means nothing. Davis seems like the one who struggled the most last year without any outward signs of injury. He may need to be the first replaced. I don't think Smith addresses that need, but let's face it, all of those guys will need to be replaced earlier rather than later. Multiple o-line prospects need to be brought in and drafted this year.

I watched Watt this year alot and while he has a high-motor and gives maximum effort, I never saw definitive talent. Not a guy I would want to draft in the top ten.

And Rogers was a second round draft choice, not a first. Jones has NEVER drafted one in the first. My guess is he wants to trade down depserately and get multiple D and O lineman. I think this might actually happen if the supposed "feeding frenzy" for QB's develops that Mayock has been talking about.

The problem with drafting Smith is that he still has a big learning cuve to get past. He's 20 years old and I think most will say he has some maturing on the field to do. Lets be serious here, the Cowboys window isn't just opening, it's just starting to close with this crop of players. I don't think you can use a top ten pick on a guy that may take a few years to get something out of.

And zero chance Darius, Miller, or Peterson are at 9.

The problem with drafting Smith is that he still has a big learning cuve to get past. He's 20 years old and I think most will say he has some maturing on the field to do. Lets be serious here, the Cowboys window isn't just opening, it's just starting to close with this crop of players. I don't think you can use a top ten pick on a guy that may take a few years to get something out of.

And zero chance Darius, Miller, or Peterson are at 9.

Totally agree with you. I don't think any of those three will drop but I would love to see it happen. I would like to see them go D line early and secondary. It was the D that let us down last year as the O averaged 30 points a game with Kitna at QB and an injured line. With Romo back and the line healthy I think a D upgrade will do wonders to turn our fortunes around.

Cant wait to see what happens.

GET THE CBA DONE FELLAS. WE NEED FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jerry really has 4 paths he really could take:

1.) trade down and draft castonzo later (best option)

2.) take tyron smith (recommended)

3.) take prince amukamura (alright)

4.) the jerry jones option-draft a player that you have no need whatsovere at that position, BUT the player is flashy. julio jones! (not recommended)

or path number 5...trade up into the 6th spot with Cleveland and take Patrick Peterson DB. The Browns should still get Julio with the 9th pick.

Edited by ABearWithFurniture

I watched Watt this year alot and while he has a high-motor and gives maximum effort, I never saw definitive talent. Not a guy I would want to draft in the top ten.

I heard on Sirius radio that he averaged 1.8 sacks/TFL per game as a Badger. This past year he produced in big games. He doesn't rack up his numbers in blowouts. I think Watt is a guy that will be a solid pro bowler year in and year out. Pair that with the type of guy he is, leadership abilities and the high motor...

I heard on Sirius radio that he averaged 1.8 sacks/TFL per game as a Badger. This past year he produced in big games. He doesn't rack up his numbers in blowouts. I think Watt is a guy that will be a solid pro bowler year in and year out. Pair that with the type of guy he is, leadership abilities and the high motor...

Hope you're right about him, no matter where he goes. Eleven and a half sacks in twenty-six games the last two years just doesn't impress me that much. I remember him having a nice game against Ohio State. Would have been nice if he had shown up against TCU. :wacko:

Jerry has taken an OL in the 1st round only once and that was a bust (Jacob Rodgers). Hopeully, we get a CB to replace Newman. Look to free agency and the draft for depth, solid depth, and maybe we can find another Erik Williams in the 2nd or later. There are plenty of like rated OL in the draft, but only 2 stud CB's. Please, Jerry, get us a stud CB.

rodgers wasnt a 1st rounder, he went in round 2, and that was Parcells baby there, Parcells also chose a guard in round 4 of the same draft out of LSU and he was also a bust. jerry has never taken a OL in the first round. Flozell and larry allen were both 2nd rounders.

or path number 5...trade up into the 6th spot with Cleveland and take Patrick Peterson DB. The Browns should still get Julio with the 9th pick.

Bingo, this is the perfect plan for Dallas. Id gladly give up a 3rd for a 5th to make this jump of 4 picks. Though Cleveland has to worry about Washington trading with Tennesse and snagging Jones at 8, as everyone will know this is what Cleveland is thinking, but who cares from Dallas perspective.

This is a very deep draft, with very few high end talent. So the type of player Dallas gets in round 3, will likely have similar talent 60 picks later if they get the Browns 5th rounder.

If Dallas fails to get Peterson, then I take Robert Quinn out of North Carolina who looks an awful lot like Demarcus Ware coming off the edge. Can you imagine if you didnt have to blitz because you had 2 legit pass rushers, and then a double team on Ratliff up the middle. Pass rusher is the quickest way to fix the secondary, and Im not ready to bury Newman just yet.

If dallas cant get peterson, this is how my draft looks if Im the Boys GM.

1st round - Robert Quinn OLB - Pass rusher

2nd round - Brandon Harris - CB - Miami or Aaron Williams CB - Texas

3rd round - Rodney Hudson - G/C - Fla St.

4th round - Jake Kirkpatrick, C, TCU

5th round - FS or OT

6th round - FS or OT

7th round - flyer RB, cut Barber

rodgers wasnt a 1st rounder, he went in round 2, and that was Parcells baby there, Parcells also chose a guard in round 4 of the same draft out of LSU and he was also a bust. jerry has never taken a OL in the first round. Flozell and larry allen were both 2nd rounders.

oooops, sorry bout that. point is Dallas never takes OL in the 1st round. this year should be no different.

1st round - Robert Quinn OLB - Pass rusher

I guess Anthony Spencer is as good as gone? Victor Butler is out as a third down specialty rusher?

I'd much rather see a down DE like Cam Jordan, or yes, even JJ Watt, than Quinn that can rush the passer and play the run. I'd just prefer to get one of them in the 12-20 spot where they should be drafted or go up and get a guy like Fairley.