[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Adventures in Retail

Rovers

I would think an "expert" and a "keeper" would not need advice, but apparently you can't get from one area of the store to the restroom without getting accosted, so here is the advice. TAKE OFF YOUR VEST WHEN HEADING TO THE PISSER. Without that identifying clothing article you are just another poorly dressed DIYer in need of a piss. I hope this helps.

LOL.....trust me.....this won't help. Anyone who walks through the store with purpose and looks like he/she knows where they are going gets accosted by customers. HD should have me on the payroll...I answer more questions for customers while I'm shopping than I probably would if I actually worked there. LOL :wacko:

I've noticed they've stocked the stores with more employees too lately. Last Weds., I was stopped by no less than 8 employees. Seemed like an awfully friendly day.....lol. It comically felt a bit like the scene in Airport with all the Hare Krishna-ish flower children offering salvation. But I have to say.....I left with a smile that day. :tup:

LOL.....trust me.....this won't help. Anyone who walks through the store with purpose and looks like he/she knows where they are going gets accosted by customers. HD should have me on the payroll...I answer more questions for customers while I'm shopping than I probably would if I actually worked there. LOL :rofl:

I've noticed they've stocked the stores with more employees too lately. Last Weds., I was stopped by no less than 8 employees. Seemed like an awfully friendly day.....lol. It comically felt a bit like the scene in Airport with all the Hare Krishna-ish flower children offering salvation. But I have to say.....I left with a smile that day. :bow:

:wacko:

I was in my local HD a week or so back and was in the lumber section. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw "the orange" and I quickly turned that way to ask a question. It was some dude in an orange construction vest walking by (a customer). I was able to get my entire question out before I realized it wasn't an apron thingy and the dude just kinda went :lol: as he walked by. What a dumbazz. :rofl:

Oh, and to speak to the topic in general, I worked for 2 years at a wings joint which was frequented by ... well, let's just say folks of a lower income/class. :tup:

HD is a victim of it s own success. When it first opened ut was simply brilliant. Everything under one roof, and cheap, w knowledgeable staff. But it now takes an hour and a half to buy anything to long lines and clueless staff. Before leaving the us, I found its cheaper fir me to overpay by 10-15 percent at the hardware store than to go to HD. And they have the WORST paint dept ever, in any store.

HD is a victim of it s own success. When it first opened ut was simply brilliant. Everything under one roof, and cheap, w knowledgeable staff. But it now takes an hour and a half to buy anything to long lines and clueless staff.

same thing with Radio Shack.

How are they still in business???

Funny Radio Shack should be brought up here. I actually went there twice this week. First stopped by to see if they had universal power adapters. Turns out they do. We needed one for our baby monitor since one of our cats enjoys chewing up certain types of power cords. Sony wanted $27 plus shipping for a replacement. :tup:

When I was there, I had to wait for them to reboot their computer system before I could pay. God forbid they just use a calculator to figure out what I owed.

Stopped by the next day 'cuz I had left my car phone charger in my Toyota and I had my wife's SUV for the day. The same guy - a manager - who had helped me the day before says "yeah, this one comes with a one year warranty... if it breaks you can bring it back and get a new one". I'm thinking "whatever", and just so happened to look down at the little screen where you pop in your PIN code or whatever, and it says $19.99 for the charger and $3.95 for this one-year deal. I say "yeah ummm I don't need that one-year thing". Dude's like... :wacko: "oh.. ok". Tried to pull a fast one. Dumbazz.

LOL.....trust me.....this won't help. Anyone who walks through the store with purpose and looks like he/she knows where they are going gets accosted by customers. HD should have me on the payroll...I answer more questions for customers while I'm shopping than I probably would if I actually worked there. LOL :wacko:

I've noticed they've stocked the stores with more employees too lately. Last Weds., I was stopped by no less than 8 employees. Seemed like an awfully friendly day.....lol. It comically felt a bit like the scene in Airport with all the Hare Krishna-ish flower children offering salvation. But I have to say.....I left with a smile that day. :tup:

A lot of your experiences are very store dependent. The personell and their knowledge base varies widely. In this store, one of the biggest in the NE, we have a guy who has a hort degree. He identified a crown of thorns plant from a leaf. I was impressed, I had no clue what it was. I am an expert in the chemical aisle, but am more often in the power tools/patio set area.

Toniught I had a couple in their fufties, heavy Irish accents.... they had been in on Sunday and left after they asked for a fountain and the assocoiate left to try to find it in the overheads, but didn't return after a half hour. inventory said we had 4. They are lost or just not threre. So, I promised them I would ONLY work on finding their fountain. I looked, no luck. lost or invisible inventory. I called another store, they put eyes on 5 of them,and I told the customers. We had a nice exchange re Irish hetritage and stuff, and while they came in pissed off, they left happy.

Customers like these are what makes this often thankless job fun. I cared, they knew that, and were disarmed as I tried to resolve the situation. They went from pissed off to smiling and joking about the old country with me, even though I could not get them this fountain today, I confirmed that is was at another store and they left happy.

While retial can be an unbelievable PITA, having the aforementioned situation is gratifying and satisifying. This couple from Ireland was thrilled to know they could buy the fountain they wanted, and we had a fun time discussing Ireland and stuff. They were pretty pissed after leavinbg the store on Sunday with no answer, and having found their "associate" helping another customer while he was supposed to be looking for their fountain. I know all too well how that happens.... go searching the rafters for something like a fountain and some incoherent knucklehead in lighting wants to know where the the 3 to 2 prong wall addapters are. You aren't allowed to blow them off.... and it becomes an alligastor draining the swamp issue.

It is very store specific, the one I am in is understaffed and in ther NE only Norwalk does similar volume in the garden dept. We push 800k to a million a week just from the garden dept. Some HD's don't do a million a week total. We do that in just one dept. I often have 3 or 4 custpomrers I am helping at one time. Frenetic is a good descriptor. It gets nuts.

It is a pleasure when I can educate people on lawns, weed cintrols, etc. Despite my talents, I spemd mote tim,e selling grills and lawn mowers. HD does a lo of things right, but at the store level, corp lpolicy often gets lost.