[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Air Conditioner Maintenance

Scooby's Hubby

Will cleaning the intake/filter for the outside A/C fan/compressor make a difference? Aren't I supposed to take the exterior off and then rinse it with a hose (just letting the water run through the filter with no pressure)? Is there some kind of tune-up an A/C guy does to increase efficiency? and can it be DIY? Please advise, it is getting hot out there ... my outside units are kept in open but shaded area and I do not mow by them so they don't really get dusty, but I am sure it has not been done since Scooby and I have owned the house (over 3 years).

4 different companies told me my AC was shot and I needed a new one. Air Star came out stuck come gizmo in front of a bunch of vents and said my unit was working at 25% efficiency. I paid $500.00 for two different things cleaned. They waved the gizmo and it said it was working at 70% efficiency. Proof has been the last week, our house has remained cool. I haven't even had to put the window unit in the den. There is one more thing that needs cleaned next week then after vacation we are going to re-vent a couple of rooms.

Can a good cleaning be a difference maker? Without a doubt. It isn't DIY for me - they took $hit apart and dipped it in cleaning/chemicals on both the outside unit and the unit in the attic.

Edited by Clubfoothead

cd might have a little info about this

Yeah, as long as Hubby isn't the same kind of DIYer as I am.

At the first sign of trouble it is usually cheaper for me to call in a pro immediately rather than after I have attempted to fix it.

cd might have a little info about this

Yea, I tried a search for a past topic, but couldn't find. I remember CD posting something in regards to maintenance help ...

Scooby and I did install proframmable thermostats today, though...

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

Can a good cleaning be a difference maker? Without a doubt. It isn't DIY for me - they took $hit apart and dipped it in cleaning/chemicals on both the outside unit and the unit in the attic.

They probably cleaned both the indoor and outdoor coils this way. What club had done is NOT a DIY project.

SH, you can take a hose to your outdoor unit to wash away dust that gathers on the outdoor coil. Basically the outdoor coil surrounds the compressor where the panels are. You can take them off (the panels) if you feel comfortable doing that. Depending on the brand, putting it back together can be a bugger. In some cases, the cost of an AC Tune-up, usually around $100, is better.

Make sure the power is off to the unit if you do it yourself.

Edited by Chief Dick

They probably cleaned both the indoor and outdoor coils this way. What club had done is NOT a DIY project.

SH, you can take a hose to your outdoor unit to wash away dust that gathers on the outdoor coil. Basically the outdoor coil surrounds the compressor where the panels are. You can take them off (the panels) if you feel comfortable doing that. Depending on the brand, putting it back together can be a bugger. In some cases, the cost of an AC Tune-up, usually around $100, is better.

Make sure the power is off to the unit if you do it yourself.

I may just go with the tune-up, I will start looking around and pricing the guys I trust, we have a few good guys, here

Another avenue I was wanting to try are the people who the energy provider supposedly pays for who come out and make sure you are sealed up with weather stripping, etc. Supposedly they are free ...