[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Age of Empires Online beta

TimC

Downloaded the beta and messed around with it a little bit. I wanted to jump right into Multiplayer since I knew all the basics since I've been playing all the Age of Empires series since 1998 or so and know the games back and forth. The single player campaigns are a joke for the most part. They're okay to go through at your own pace but I enjoy the multiplayer better. Unfortunately, you can't do this on the AoE Online beta. It appears you MUST play through the single player campaigns and level up before it allows you to PvP. I read somewhere it's around level 6. I made it to level 3 last night, but it's brutal learning how to collect food, wood and gold and build a barracks if you don't really need to learn how to do that. I think it's part of the "online experience" to be able to upgrade your city by levelling up. I believe level 40 is the highest. It's probably brutal to play through the single player campaigns to get there, but might be necessary. Oh well, maybe by this weekend, I'll have some better reports once I make it through enough levels to play online versus a live person.