[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Moving

Gopher

Random Trivia - What major sports celebrity is from Williston, ND?

Good luck Gopher. I have many friends that live and work out of Estevan, Saskatchewan, just north of Williston. It's a booming local economy with the oil and gas drilling happening out there.

PS. Pretty sure the answer to the trivia question is

Phil Jackson

Prior to moving to CA in '04, I lived in Sioux Falls, SD for five years... So, I'm very familiar with the flat, windy terrain in parts of the Dakotas. There are other parts that are some of the most beautiful/scenic areas I've ever seen (think Mt. Rushmore, for example). Prior to SD, I spent over 20 years in Minnesota, including high school, college, etc. My wife (from SoCal) also lived in SD for a couple of years (prior to us getting married), so we both have a very good idea of what we're getting into, in terms of climate/weather.

What we don't have experience with (and what makes us both somewhat nervous) is the unique housing situation in that area. Like I said, my employer is really hooking me up, with everything they possibly can... very substantial lump sum for short-term living costs (hotel, meals, car, etc.), salary increase (on top of the fact that I'm moving to a lower cost of living area, in general), rent subsidy/reimbursement (once we find a place), as well as the fact that they'll take care of literally EVERYTHING when we actually do move. The only things that they won't touch, when they move our household goods, are propane tanks and pets (we have two cats), basically. Everything else, they'll box it up, move it, and even unpack it for us, if we choose to let them. Even the cars, if we choose to fly at that point. They'll also reimburse us for license/registration fees (for both cars, and both drivers licenses), once we move.

All said, it's a sweet deal, as long as we can find a place to rent that is comfortable for the three of us. The only thing my company won't/can't do is find me a place to live. That's what my wife and I have to concentrate on, for the next few weeks (hopefully not longer).

Good luck Gopher. I have many friends that live and work out of Estevan, Saskatchewan, just north of Williston. It's a booming local economy with the oil and gas drilling happening out there.

PS. Pretty sure the answer to the trivia question is.............

You are correct. :wacko:

If your company wants you there bad enough, perhaps they have the resources to assist you with househunting? Sounds like a sweet deal. I lived there in Minot for about 3 years while in the AF, (Big John...you missed that one didn't you!) and after I finally got used to the weather, it was a great place to be. Hope it all works out for you!

Good luck man. Hopefully you can find an apartment. I typically try to warn my friends when they move to new places to rent something first (house, condo, apart) instead of trying to buy something straight off the bat. If you are planning on being there for awhile I'd rather take a little time and rent and then buy something in the part of town I want to live in.