[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Am I slow today...

SEC=UGA

For the life of me, I can not figure out how this dude came up with his number here:

Douglas Elmendorf, who is the director of the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office, ran the numbers on what a deal that either cuts spending or raises taxes in order to reduce the deficit by $2 trillion would mean to the economy. Elmendorf estimates that the deal would likely slow the economy by as much as 0.6% in each of the next three years. Again, there is no science to translating GDP growth into jobs. But 0.1% of GDP growth usually translates into the economy adding around 5,000 jobs, and visa versa. So that means a debt ceiling deal of the size Elmendorf is talking about could cost the economy as much as just over a million jobs during the next three years.

Read more: http://curiouscapitalist.blogs.time.com/20.../#ixzz1SeJIyPZc

If the economy slows by .6% each year over the next three years, and each .1% is = 5,000 jobs... Wouldn't that be 30,000 jobs lost per year? Then the total for the 3 years would be 90,000, right? Where does he come up with the 1 million jobs lost assumption when using these numbers?

For the life of me, I can not figure out how this dude came up with his number here:

If the economy slows by .6% each year over the next three years, and each .1% is = 5,000 jobs... Wouldn't that be 30,000 jobs lost per year? Then the total for the 3 years would be 90,000, right? Where does he come up with the 1 million jobs lost assumption when using these numbers?

At first blush, I think he might have meant .1% GDP -> 50,000 jobs (but I don't care enough to look into it more)

At first blush, I think he might have meant .1% GDP -> 50,000 jobs (but I don't care enough to look into it more)

I could agree with that. I was trying making sure that my brain wasn't melting down. So, my math is sound?

That would seem likely. I think the last time a number as low as 5,000 was used in describing anything pertaining to the US economy it was like 1850 or something.

In response to the thread title:

Yes, same as every other day with a Y in it.

Montag

Dienstag

Mitwoch

Donnerstag

Freitag

Samstag

Sonnstag

Looks like I'm doing okay...