[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

HVAC experts

BeeR

Got home after being away for a couple days - A/C was set to 74, was 75 when we got in. Turned it down a notch and 2 hrs later - it's 76. The unit is running outside and air is blowing thru the vents and is at least somewhat cool (I'm never sure how cool it's supposed to feel), and when checked a month or 2 ago they said it had plenty o juice.

We have a maint contract with the A/C company that put it in about 5-6 yrs ago but when we called they said hey it's literally 100 degrees outside and if your A/C is cooling the house down 20+ degrees in general, esp with all the humidity etc, that's about all you can ask of it and the A/C is likely "OK" and doing all it can do.

They plan to come next week (waiting on callback for specifics) for the annual maint check anyway, but we have someone very sick at home and can't get too cute about this. Does the explanation sound reasonable or does it sound like BS?

Its 100 degrees here too and we have to turn up our Ac to about about 75 otherwise it just runs and can't get below 75

So yeah, I would believe what you were told but I'm not an HVAC guy

Set it to 72 and let it run overnight. If the temperature is above 72 when you get up tomorrow, I'd have them come out and check it. If it's 72 and you're expecting 100 degree temps again, turn it down to 68. It will run nonstop and hopefully keep you in the mid 70s. The key is to get the temp down early in the day.

We used to have the same problem....then installed an attic fan. Best investment we ever made. Nothing like pumping out 160+ degree air from the attic (which is heating your house from the second-floor down, literally neutralizing your AC), and replacing it with outside air temperature.

While it might seem like replacing 160 degree air with 100 degree air isn't that big a deal....well, it was huge. It would cut the time it took to cool our house to an ample temperature literally in half. For $700 last year, its more than paid for itself in savings already.

We used to have the same problem....then installed an attic fan. Best investment we ever made. Nothing like pumping out 160+ degree air from the attic (which is heating your house from the second-floor down, literally neutralizing your AC), and replacing it with outside air temperature.

While it might seem like replacing 160 degree air with 100 degree air isn't that big a deal....well, it was huge. It would cut the time it took to cool our house to an ample temperature literally in half. For $700 last year, its more than paid for itself in savings already.

Curious, when and how often do you run the fan, and for how long? I'm guessing it just takes a few minutes to suck the hot air out?

An air conditioning system "generally" is designed for a 20 degree differential. Meaning, when it's 100 outside, if it maintains 80 it is operating properly. Some companies design for 25 degree differential, so if it's 100 outside you can expect 75 inside.

Sounds like yours is ok. Check your filter and replace if dirty.

Curious, when and how often do you run the fan, and for how long? I'm guessing it just takes a few minutes to suck the hot air out?

Ours has a thermostat on it set to 115 (I think...electrician set it when it was installed last spring), so when the temperature in the attic reaches that point, it kicks on. It doesn't stay on for more than a few minutes...though it is a tad noisey when it goes on during the night. Fortunately, it doesn't happen to often during the overnight, since the attic isn't being heated during that timefame.