[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Droid Users

darin3

So, after like 5+ years of being a Blackberry user and lover, I have moved into the touchscreen arena. Verizon's plans are uber-expensive, especially compared to AT&T with a 22% discount thanks to my wife's company.

Bit of background: I LOVED the way Blackberry handled email and text messaging. So f'in easy. The problem areas for Blackberry were its browser capabilities, lack of "fun" apps... but mostly it was the monthly price.

So, switched to the HTC Inspire and have been generally fine with the interface thus far. Taking some getting used to with typing on a touchscreen, but I think I'll get faster eventually.

My problem with the Android platform is with the email. Holy crap is it bad. So, I guess Android is a Google product, so you HAD to have a Gmail account to set the phone up with contacts, etc. No problem; I have 3 Gmail accounts, so used one of them as my hub account. Well, the Gmail app on the phone SUCKS. Like, badly. You'd think with a Google-based platform that they'd make their app better. Holy crap was it bad. I used the HTC mail app and it's infinitely better. Problem was, though, it was double-downloading my email (once by the HTC app, once by the Gmail app). After hours with tech support *I* finally figured out how to have the phone stop syncing Gmail so it just comes through the HTC app.

Trying to tweak the app a bit... want all my emails to come to one folder (a feature on Blackberry).

Basically I wish the Blackberry touchscreen phone wasn't such a piece of crap (or so I've heard). I really miss Blackberry's interface.

Long story short... are there any Droid users out there with tips and tricks that might make my foray into the super-smart-phone generation a bit easier? Especially email-wise? I've visited support forums but it's like they're speaking in tongues. :wacko:

... I've visited support forums but it's like they're speaking in tongues. :wacko:

:tup:

I carry a BB for work and have a Droid for personal use.

In my opinion, the BB is a superior business platform to the Droid. The interface with MicroOffice is seamless and you are just a few touches away from all your professional contacts.

The Droid is basically a micro computer with a phone. I too have had trouble deciphering the "Droid Sea Scrolls", but absolutely love my Droid. I have the Moto DROID, the first of the next generation and with every firmware update, it gets slower and further behind the curve. Regardless, the ability of the Android platform to keep you connected to the rest of the world outside of the super convenient business application of the BB makes it well worth it.

I have learned and have set up four email accounts on my Droid. Three yahoo and one GMail. Since I do not use the Droid for work, I have never tried to configure it for Outlook (I couldn't get access through the government gateway on a non-government device anyway). What I have done, is gotten really good with iGoogle. I find it every bit as effective as Outlook and it is more accessible since it is not all trapped on one computer.

In short, I am not sure what you are using, but if convenient, I would learn to use Yahoo or GMail for your work applications if that is possible. Both, I believe for minimal cost, have upgraded versions of their free services that enhance their use for business application.

My kids all have iTouches. I still feel that the Android falls somewhere in between the two. Gaming (see game apps) and general media is better on the iTouch, but you can't beat the Android phones for access to everything.

This probably doesn't help, but the Supervisor for our computer crimes and forensics group carries all three because they all have their strengths and weaknesses. If I HAD to stay with one, it would be the Android platform.

The Google apps and/or the Google apps for business are a must have for a small business. I highly recommend them.

Good info here.

Since I don't need that just now, I'm sure the GOP isn't lying about this! :wacko:

I'm a droid original owner and all my buddies have the upgrades. I hear nothing but bitching from them over the upgrades and email problems. I have a g-mail account but i don't use it. All my applications are easily accessible via the web at yahoo. I smile and giggle at all the problems the NEW users are encountering. I will not upgrade for a while because of it.

I've had issues setting up my main email acct on my HTC Hero (Android platform). I just synced my main email acct to my gmail acct. It's not ideal, but it works. That's what I get for upgrading the OS.

I'm sure I can find a third party mail app that I'll like ... that includes the feature of combining all email messages into one folder.

I can get all my emails to be viewed in one folder, but I have to manually ask it to every time I open the app.

I'm starting to miss my Blackberry despite having a fun gadgety phone.

I learned long ago to not complain about the things I don't like, just go and find a way to make them work like I need them to. Yes, setting up the gmail account was worthless to me, I never use it. However, I synched my personal email from another account to the droid and everything is just all hunky dory now.

I learned long ago to not complain about the things I don't like, just go and find a way to make them work like I need them to. Yes, setting up the gmail account was worthless to me, I never use it. However, I synched my personal email from another account to the droid and everything is just all hunky dory now.

:wacko: I'm not complaining about having to set up a Gmail account. I have 3 Gmail-based accounts.

The Gmail app/interface sucks, in my opinion. And others, according to the posts I read in several forums.

I admit, I had it real, real good with Blackberry. Their email interface is legendary. Not sure why Google, in their infinite wisdom, couldn't figure it out too.

:wacko: I'm not complaining about having to set up a Gmail account. I have 3 Gmail-based accounts.

The Gmail app/interface sucks, in my opinion. And others, according to the posts I read in several forums.

I admit, I had it real, real good with Blackberry. Their email interface is legendary. Not sure why Google, in their infinite wisdom, couldn't figure it out too.

Since I primarily use gmail. I have 1 gmail account retrieve all other gmail accounts and my business domain emails. When it's delivered I only open up one folder and it shows me which account it came from. But you have to set it up in the gmail settings and not the gmail app on the droid.

Since I primarily use gmail. I have 1 gmail account retrieve all other gmail accounts and my business domain emails. When it's delivered I only open up one folder and it shows me which account it came from. But you have to set it up in the gmail settings and not the gmail app on the droid.

I might have to do that. Would it accept 2 other Gmail accounts? I still wouldn't use the Droid Gmail app, though.

:tup: I'll have to play with Gmail a bit tonight. :wacko:

I might have to do that. Would it accept 2 other Gmail accounts? I still wouldn't use the Droid Gmail app, though.

:tup: I'll have to play with Gmail a bit tonight. :wacko:

I'm not sure if he's referring to another way, but it's not terribly tough to forward your other accounts to your main Gmail account (under Settings>Accounts and Import, set it up to check your mail with POP3, may have to google for instructions)... Only issue is if you need your emails right away, because it usually takes between 5 minutes to 20 minutes (maybe depending on how often you check it, or it might be random?) for it to sync and forward it over...

You can also set up your Gmail to be able to "send as" so that you can also send from a different account from your main one (even on your droid, it gives you a pop-down menu).

Edited by delusions of granduer

+1 There is somewhere in set up wizard you can do this. It doesn't have to be a gmail address.