[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

the illusion of asymmetric insight

Azazello1313

In a political debate you feel like the other side just doesn’t get your point of view, and if they could only see things with your clarity, they would understand and fall naturally in line with what you believe. They must not understand, because if they did they wouldn’t think the things they think. By contrast, you believe you totally get their point of view and you reject it. You see it in all its detail and understand it for what it is – stupid. You don’t need to hear them elaborate. So, each side believes they understand the other side better than the other side understands both their opponents and themselves.

read the whole thing

I pretty much agree with Swammi here. I know I'm right and all you a-holes that disagree with me are morons because you can't grasp simple concepts, even after I succinctly lay out the precepts. Buncha morans.

That, and I like his example of the Oklahoman experiment. I am certain that there was outside influence from the "counselors" in the activities of the kids. This experiment didn't happen in a vacuum.

Kind of ironic that the article/site take a very deterministic view that environmental factors, experiences, genetics, etc., are sole drivers of behavior/beliefs, compared to an Az-like libertarian free-will theorist that would argue that one's decisions are rational and of free-will (i.e., personal responsiblity), rather than an "actor on a stage".

But I would expect that your illusion of assymetric insight might prevent you from seeing the contradiction of that train of thought with your hard-line conservative posts here Az :wacko:

Kind of ironic that the article/site take a very deterministic view that environmental factors, experiences, genetics, etc., are sole drivers of behavior/beliefs, compared to an Az-like libertarian free-will theorist that would argue that one's decisions are rational and of free-will (i.e., personal responsiblity), rather than an "actor on a stage".

huh? II don't think the article implies a position one way or another on the (rather useless, in my view) metaphysical question of free will vs. determinism. I mean, as far as I know, not even the most radical free will advocate would deny that genes, psychology, environment, etc. constrain our choices. the article is about the tendency toward groupthink (faction), and I happen to think that dovetails quite nicely with my own political thought (read federalist papers 10 and 51).

huh? II don't think the article implies a position one way or another on the (rather useless, in my view) metaphysical question of free will vs. determinism. I mean, as far as I know, not even the most radical free will advocate would deny that genes, psychology, environment, etc. constrain our choices. the article is about the tendency toward groupthink (faction), and I happen to think that dovetails quite nicely with my own political thought (read federalist papers 10 and 51).

I'm just messing with you, albeit in an extremely :wacko: way.... I thought the article was really interesting, even though I only got about half way through it. Goes well with that "indoctrination' thread from a while back... Indoctrination of ideals occur everywhere at any level.

Goes well with that "indoctrination' thread from a while back... Indoctrination of ideals occur everywhere at any level.

don't you think we can control the degree, at least to some extent, with children? I happen to think that people do better in life when they are encouraged to learn, to the extent possible, to think for themselves. critical thinking skills do exist in the world and they do lead to healthier, happier people, and to my mind, "indoctrination of ideals" runs directly counter to that. pretending that none of it matters because we're all just pawns in the universe, man, is just, well, stupid.

don't you think we can control the degree, at least to some extent, with children? I happen to think that people do better in life when they are encouraged to learn, to the extent possible, to think for themselves. critical thinking skills do exist in the world and they do lead to healthier, happier people, and to my mind, "indoctrination of ideals" runs directly counter to that. pretending that none of it matters because we're all just pawns in the universe, man, is just, well, stupid.

ding ding ding! When my daughters (Max isn't old enough yet) ask me about something, I always try to use the socratic method and/or use it as a reason to teach something else. Once, the oldest said "if I was president, all parking would be free! :tup:" I said, "Doesn't the owner of that property deserve something for letting other people use it?" Then, "Well, couldn't the government buy it?" "Sure, but they would buy a bunch of parking spaces when a lot of people don't own cars. Is that spending tax money wisely? Should free parking be a right of being an American? Does that make sense?" She's never afraid to argue with me because I never get hot under the collar nor to I ever treat her as if her ideas are stupid. I will admit that this might be something I do because we home school though. :wacko: