[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Economic Schools of Thought

rbmcdonald

I do not understand why people are so ready to dismiss the Gold Standard as lunacy, but have no problem with the Federal Reserve. The Federal Reserve is not a branch of the Federal Government, the Federal Reserve is a Banking Cartel. It would be like having a major portion of American Energy Policy being set by an Oil Cartel.

http://www.conciseguidetoeconomics.com/book/overview/ this is a link that discusses the four major schools of Economic Thought: Marxist, Keynesian, Monetarist & Austrian.

Austrian Economics supports the return to a Gold Standard. So if you prefer to believe in the Keynesian School of Economic, fine, but do not call me a lunatic because I prefer to support the Austrian School of Economics.

I don't believe the pillars of "austrian economics" were so gung-ho on the gold standard and down on central banks. ludwig von mises certainly was, but hayek, not so much.

probably the most respected, most influential economist of limited government, free market thought of the last 100 years is milton friedman, who would very much be a "monetarist" in your four-schools model. I like ron paul, but on this issue he is little more than a screeching populist. people on the side of economic liberty need to re-read friedman (and hayek) before they get too committed to this primitive murray rothbard gold standard crap and throw away 100+ years of the best thought their side has come up with.

http://www.conciseguidetoeconomics.com/book/overview/ this is a link that discusses the four major schools of Economic Thought: Marxist, Keynesian, Monetarist & Austrian.

uh, the vast vast majority of economists don't subscribe to a "school of thought" but are what is referred to as "Neo-Classical" in their thinking.

concerning Austrian economics, perhaps this might be of interest to you: http://econfaculty.gmu.edu/bcaplan/whyaust.htm

Edited by wiegie

You're not a vast economist. Au contraire........

oops--my post is edited

concerning "schools of economic thought", they really haven't been relevant for about 30 years--and the Austrian economics has NEVER been major schools of thought (and Marxist economics hasn't been a major school of thought for at least 70 years (if it even was a major school of thought then))

oops--my post is edited

concerning "schools of economic thought", they really haven't been relevant for about 30 years--and the Austrian economics has NEVER been major schools of thought (and Marxist economics hasn't been a major school of thought for at least 70 years (if it even was a major school of thought then))

I defer to you on matters economic but I did also think that Marxism was kinda like a fish out of water in the list.

I defer to you on matters economic but I did also think that Marxism was kinda like a fish out of water in the list.

no more so than Austrian economics

(However, I'll state again that neither belong on a list of major schools of economic thought.)

no more so than Austrian economics

(However, I'll state again that neither belong on a list of major schools of economic thought.)

that doesn't really seem true. marx and mises (and hayek if you count him) were pretty damned influential people, and they remain very influential. they're more influential when it comes to the philosophical underpinnings of economics than they are on techniques and methodology (the more 'scientific' aspects).

Edited by Azazello1313

that doesn't really seem true. marx and mises (and hayek if you count him) were pretty damned influential people, and they remain very influential. they're more influential when it comes to the philosophical underpinnings of economics than they are on techniques and methodology (the more 'scientific' aspects).

I'm not saying that marx and mises/hayek didn't have any influence, I am saying that neither marxism nor Austrian economics are major schools of economics today (and Austrian economics has never been a major school of economic thought)

I'd venture to guess that less than 5% of all economists today consider themselves Marxists or Austrians--both "schools" are fringe ways of thinking that have been rejected by the vast majority of economists for very good reasons.

I'd venture to guess that less than 5% of all economists today consider themselves Marxists or Austrians

Are there ANY Marxist economists left? One would have thought that the collapse of the Soviet Union would be enough to persuade even the most diehard Marxist economist that his belief might be wrong.

Are there ANY Marxist economists left? One would have thought that the collapse of the Soviet Union would be enough to persuade even the most diehard Marxist economist that his belief might be wrong.

Barak Obama

Nancy Pelosi

Barney Frank

Barbara Boxer

Carol Mosley Braun

:wacko:

Barak Obama

Nancy Pelosi

Barney Frank

Barbara Boxer

Carol Mosley Braun

:wacko:

:lol: Just couldn't help yourself huh?

I'm not big on the topic, but I was reading some about John Rawls (Rawlsian economics) a bit lately and found it interesting. Not really sure how he fits into the 4 schools of thought but I liked it better than the wave theory. :tup:

Barak Obama

Nancy Pelosi

Barney Frank

Barbara Boxer

Carol Mosley Braun

:tup:

:lol:

Wouldn't that require them to actually know something about economics? :wacko:

And you only put Carol Mosley Braun on that list because she's a big ol' gators fan (which is reason enough to hate her - I'm just sayin').

:tup: Just couldn't help yourself huh?

I'm not big on the topic, but I was reading some about John Rawls (Rawlsian economics) a bit lately and found it interesting. Not really sure how he fits into the 4 schools of thought but I liked it better than the wave theory. :wacko:

When you're in over your head on a topic it is best to simply mock it. :lol:

ETA: That wasn't a shot at you, btw.

Edited by SEC=UGA

I'm not saying that marx and mises/hayek didn't have any influence, I am saying that neither marxism nor Austrian economics are major schools of economics today (and Austrian economics has never been a major school of economic thought)

I'd venture to guess that less than 5% of all economists today consider themselves Marxists or Austrians--both "schools" are fringe ways of thinking that have been rejected by the vast majority of economists for very good reasons.

not that I really disagree with you, but just to throw out one quote to the contrary:

The former U.S. Federal Reserve Chairman, Alan Greenspan, speaking of the originators of the School, said in 2000, "the Austrian school have reached far into the future from when most of them practiced and have had a profound and, in my judgment, probably an irreversible effect on how most mainstream economists think in this country."

the whole wikipedia article gives some pretty good reference points.

Edited by Azazello1313

not that I really disagree with you, but just to throw out one quote to the contrary:

I'm not sure that quote actually is to the contrary of my statement. I already stated that Mises and Hayek were influential--but that doesn't mean that the Austrian school was ever a major school. And today Austrian economics isn't a major school of thought among economists at all. (In fact, it probably wouldn't be too unfair to say that a whole lot of Austrian economists today are just a priori ideologues who are bad at math.)

I'm not sure that quote actually is to the contrary of my statement. I already stated that Mises and Hayek were influential--but that doesn't mean that the Austrian school was ever a major school. And today Austrian economics isn't a major school of thought among economists at all. (In fact, it probably wouldn't be too unfair to say that a whole lot of Austrian economists today are just a priori ideologues who are bad at math.)

well, of course, their argument would be that the "math" is bad. and that sort of critique and skepticism of econometrics and models and whatnot is very much alive in modern "mainstream" economics. like it or not.

well, of course, their argument would be that the "math" is bad. and that sort of critique and skepticism of econometrics and models and whatnot is very much alive in modern "mainstream" economics. like it or not.

no, the Austrians' argument is not that the math is bad--their argument is basically that the use of math itself in economics is bad

in any case, no matter what you want to argue, Az, the simple fact is that Austrian economics is not, and has never been, a major school of economics

you're just waiting for the money shot, aren't you?

Any climax would be just fine...

Can you call AZ a dolt, or something... PLEASE!!!! I need, I need....