[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Peyton Manning off the PUP

CaptainHook

The Indianapolis Colts have activated quarterback Peyton Manning from the physically unable to perform list. That makes him eligible to practice with the rest of the team.

The NFL’s only four-time MVP hasn’t practiced the entire preseason while continuing his rehabilitation from May 23 neck surgery.

Manning likely will practice with the team today, but won’t play in Thursday night’s preseason finale at Cincinnati.

“The move is a continuation of the rehab process from offseason neck surgery that Manning underwent,’’ the team said in a release. “He will participate in practice on a limited basis. All of his practice work will be scripted and on a controlled basis. The participation in limited football activity is a standard procedure in the club’s rehab protocol.’’

With Manning’s status for the Sept. 11 regular-season opener uncertain, the Colts signed veteran Kerry Collins to a two-year, $14 million contract last week. He is expected to start against the Houston Texans if Manning isn’t available.

While it doesn't necessarily mean he will start Week 1 (I think he will), it is certainly a good sign.

from indystar.com

crap. I spent too much on Kerry Collins.

This news is barely news. They had to do this if they wanted to be able to use him prior to week 6, which is a safe assumption. This sheds no light on his progress or whether or not he'll be ready for week 1. It's not bad news, but it's not good news either. It's not news.

This news is barely news. They had to do this if they wanted to be able to use him prior to week 6, which is a safe assumption. This sheds no light on his progress or whether or not he'll be ready for week 1. It's not bad news, but it's not good news either. It's not news.

I actually think the fact that he has been cleared for practice is pretty big news. He hadn't been cleared by doctors to practice yet. Now that he is, I think there is as close as you can get to a 100% chance that he plays the opener. You're not going to see a cleared Peyton Manning sitting and watching.

I actually think the fact that he has been cleared for practice is pretty big news. He hadn't been cleared by doctors to practice yet. Now that he is, I think there is as close as you can get to a 100% chance that he plays the opener. You're not going to see a cleared Peyton Manning sitting and watching.

Isn't that just a technicality? They had to take him off the PUP list if they wanted him before week 6. By definition, this makes him cleared to practice, but that's not why they did it. I imagine the timing has nothing to do with any progress he's made and everything to do with having gotten closer to deciding who they're going to cut. I think keeping him on PUP meant they didn't need to hold a roster spot for him so had to make the call on one less player. But they couldn't do that forever if they wanted any chance of being able to use him prior to week 6. Hence the move.

The bit about this not being news is that it seems totally unrelated to his progress, unless it was ever in doubt that he was going to miss the first third of the season, and I wasn't under the impression that was ever being seriously discussed. That this should not be a sign that he's made any significant progress towards the goal of being ready to go week one. Not saying he will or wont be, but that this is merely a procedural move that they would have made even if they didn't think he'd be ready to go week one.

Edited by detlef

Isn't that just a technicality? They had to take him off the PUP list if they wanted him before week 6. By definition, this makes him cleared to practice, but that's not why they did it. I imagine the timing has nothing to do with any progress he's made and everything to do with having gotten closer to deciding who they're going to cut. I think keeping him on PUP meant they didn't need to hold a roster spot for him so had to make the call on one less player. But they couldn't do that forever if they wanted any chance of being able to use him prior to week 6. Hence the move.

The bit about this not being news is that it seems totally unrelated to his progress, unless it was ever in doubt that he was going to miss the first third of the season, and I wasn't under the impression that was ever being seriously discussed. That this should not be a sign that he's made any significant progress towards the goal of being ready to go week one. Not saying he will or wont be, but that this is merely a procedural move that they would have made even if they didn't think he'd be ready to go week one.

If it was just taking him off the PUP list, sure, that's a no-brainer, but the fact that he's actually going to be practicing leads me to believe that the doctors cleared him to practice. I might be wrong, but I think there is a difference between the two. Maybe he hasn't been cleared yet medically and this is all just to get him off the PUP, but if he has been cleared by the doctors, I don't think there's any chance he sits.

At a golf outing yesterday, I played with someone that knows someone that works for the Bengals. Word around the league is that Manning is expected to miss four weeks. Not exactly first hand knowledge, but I wonder how much truth there is to that nugget...

The fact that he is throwing the ball and practicing is not news? :wacko:

He has been cleared to practice. He wasn't taken off PUP and is now just sitting around.

Edited by CaptainHook