[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

R.E.M.

SEC=UGA

seems like a formality at this point, until they're all 65 and decide to ca$h in with a reunion tour.

I haven't been a huge fan of most of what REM has done the last 20 years. but you know what, I'd have a tough time making a case for anyone else as the greatest american rock band.

:wacko:

ok...

1. the ramones

2. the beach boys

3. the velvet underground

4. REM

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. the ramones

2. the beach boys

3. the velvet underground

4. REM

5. sly and the family stone

6. nirvana

7. parliament/funkadelic

8. the grateful dead

9. the pixies

10. CCR

11. metallica

12. sonic youth

13. talking heads

14. pearl jam

15. the replacements

16. allman brothers

17. the doors

18. mothers of invention

19. captain beefheart's magic band

20. the stooges

ok, that is a pretty damn good list, but REM should be number one. :wacko:

I do kinda like the ramones more, but looking at it objectively, I think REM is more important. a more varied and impressive discography. more long-term impact.

really, I think REM, velvet underground and beach boys all have a great claim to the title. the beach boys were a tad short-lived (in top form, anyway) and the VU was also pretty short-lived and a bit obscure. so yeah I'm thinking REM.

my old list also shouldn't have left off the byrds or, I guess, the eagles. and dammit, even though most of them are canucks, I can't stop thinking about how The Band belongs in the discussion.

Edited by Azazello1313

ok, that is a pretty damn good list, but REM should be number one. :wacko:

I do kinda like the ramones more, but looking at it objectively, I think REM is more important. a more varied and impressive discography. more long-term impact.

really, I think REM, velvet underground and beach boys all have a great claim to the title. the beach boys were a tad short-lived (in top form, anyway) and the VU was also pretty short-lived and a bit obscure. so yeah I'm thinking REM.

my old list also shouldn't have left off the byrds or, I guess, the eagles. and dammit, even though most of them are canucks, I can't stop thinking about how The Band belongs in the discussion.

That was still a pretty good list, despite underanking REM.

I think a band that gets overlooked on lists like that, at least IMHO, is the Misfits.