[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Looking into wall-wall carpet

Ramhock

We finished our basement some time ago, and through our contractor, we were able to buy direct through a showroom that typically only deals with contractors/designers. We saved about 20% over and above what we would have paid retail. We then used a local guy to do our install...just one guy and a helper, who came and did everything in two visits, including picking up the two monster rolls of carpet from the warehouse and delivering to our home. For the life of me, I can't remember what he charged per yard, but the point is, I am willing to bet there are a ton of our-of-work installers with their own tools that you could find in your area via a quick google-search, or through word of mouth.

Put both of these options together, and I would bet you'll get a better deal, installed by a higher-quality tradesman than what you'd find at a Home Depot.

Carpets suck. Hardwood floors rule.

I'll second that. After we bought our house one of the first things we did was replace all the old, nasty carpet with laminate floors. 6 months later Katrina rolled through & took it all back up for me. Instead of going through the hassle of laying the floors again myself we went the cheaper route and had carpet put in. It was easily the worst mistake I made rebuilding. We could freaking dust & vacuum every day & still not keep the dust down. I despise it & can't wait till I can rip every stitch of it out of my house.