[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jason Campbell Out for Year

delfamdelfam

I don't think Mike Brown lets him go.

I read somewhere else that Trent Edwards, who was cut by the Raiders in preseason, could be re-signed.

I would gander that if they can't get Palmer and have enough confidence to go with Boller over signing Garrard, that they bring in Edwards to back up Boller. He looked good in the preseason and knows the offense.

You're really going to argue that a team capable of winning right now would benefit more from a rookie that plays an unconventional style of football than from a veteran who knows how to manage the game and protect the ball?

Raiders play the Chiefs, and then head into the bye week. That's more than enough time to get someone like Garrard up to speed or Boller comfortable competing.

Pryor is on this roster because of his athletic abilities. Not because anyone, including Al Davis, expected him to take over under center and lead the team this season.

How often does managing the game and protecting the ball win on teams that have rather lousy defenses (28th against the pass)? Yeah there's the benefit of the running game, but I'm pretty sure Pryor can hand the ball off as well as anbody.

And his style is certainly not "unconventional" in this day and age in the post drafting of michael vick era. The guy he'd be replacing, Jason Campbell, has himself rushed for over 200 yards in each of the last 3 years, so its not like he was a "pure pocket passer" himself. Pryor would simply do it more...and better.

Pryor is 6'6 and has been clocked at 4.33 in the 40. That's not just athleticism, that's exceptional athleticism. I think it's really anyones guess how well he'd be able to do if put in there should (when) Boller falters. But his being a rookie should't discount that possibility. Cam Newton and Andy Dalton seem to be doing just fine as rookies, and Big Ben won a Superbowl a few years back as a rookie. It's not like he just picked up a football yesterday. He played quarterback in highschool, he started as a freshman for ohio state and had two successful seasons there, culminating in a rose bowl mvp and victory last year with a qb rating of 157.9 on the season. That doesn't mean that he'd be successful this year on the NFL level, but it certainly doesn't mean he wouldn't be either. I think the prospect of letting everyone see what he can do is quite exciting, especially with the weapons that there are on that offense. It would certainly fill seats and sell merchandise more than would a boring and aging backup quarterback who's proven he's not fit to start time and time again in his career.

Edited by Crazysight

Put it this way, Vick himself did just fine his rookie year, leading the falcons to the conference finals if my memory serves correctly. Vick wasn't as accomplished on the collegiate level as Pryor was, nor did he have weapons in atlanta as good as those currently on the oakland offense. You could argue that vick would have been as accomplished had he not been injured during his final year at west virginia, but that's speculative and the fact is he wasn't.

Edited by Crazysight

Put it this way, Vick himself did just fine his rookie year, leading the falcons to the conference finals if my memory serves correctly. Vick wasn't as accomplished on the collegiate level as Pryor was, nor did he have weapons in atlanta as good as those currently on the oakland offense. You could argue that vick would have been as accomplished had he not been injured during his final year at west virginia, but that's speculative and the fact is he wasn't.

VaTech, but point taken

(I've agreed with your last 2 posts)

name me some 3rd round draft picks that have started their rookie year.

How often does managing the game and protecting the ball win on teams that have rather lousy defenses (28th against the pass)? Yeah there's the benefit of the running game, but I'm pretty sure Pryor can hand the ball off as well as anbody.

And his style is certainly not "unconventional" in this day and age in the post drafting of michael vick era. The guy he'd be replacing, Jason Campbell, has himself rushed for over 200 yards in each of the last 3 years, so its not like he was a "pure pocket passer" himself. Pryor would simply do it more...and better.

Pryor is 6'6 and has been clocked at 4.33 in the 40. That's not just athleticism, that's exceptional athleticism. I think it's really anyones guess how well he'd be able to do if put in there should (when) Boller falters. But his being a rookie should't discount that possibility. Cam Newton and Andy Dalton seem to be doing just fine as rookies, and Big Ben won a Superbowl a few years back as a rookie. It's not like he just picked up a football yesterday. He played quarterback in highschool, he started as a freshman for ohio state and had two successful seasons there, culminating in a rose bowl mvp and victory last year with a qb rating of 157.9 on the season. That doesn't mean that he'd be successful this year on the NFL level, but it certainly doesn't mean he wouldn't be either. I think the prospect of letting everyone see what he can do is quite exciting, especially with the weapons that there are on that offense. It would certainly fill seats and sell merchandise more than would a boring and aging backup quarterback who's proven he's not fit to start time and time again in his career.

Unless Boller gets injured, and they cannot find any other QBs (pretty likely they sign Trent Edwards since he was aleady with the team and familiar with the playbook) there is no way they give Pryor a shot. Can he be successful in the NFL, maybe. But just because Newton and Dalton are doing well and Ben also did as a rookie, doesn't mean Pryor is likely to repeat that success.

Forget about Garrard:

According to FOX Sports' Jay Glazer, free agent David Garrard needs "immediate" surgery on a herniated disc in his troublesome back.

In the words of Glazer, "take one name out of (the) search for (a quarterback)." The announcement goes a long way toward explaining Garrard's recent coyness about a possible return. It also puts extra pressure on the Raiders to make a trade to upgrade Kyle Boller ahead of Tuesday's deadline, as Garrard was easily the most attractive free agent candidate. Garrard should no longer be expected to take the field this season, making it quite possible he's played his final NFL down at the age of 33. Oct 17 - 3:03 PM

You are stoned out of your mind if you think Pryor has any business being considered as an option for the Raiders. They are 4-2 in a very winnable division, and you're talking about filling seats and selling merchandise? Let alone mentioning Pryor with Newton and Vic? Laughable.

I wonder what would happen if Carson showed up to the Bengals' facility and un-retired? If the Bengals want to play hardball and not trade him, it seems Carson could also play hardball and force them to cut him, trade him, or pay him to sit the bench.

Or he waits a couple of days, shows up, and forces a release, thus giving him his choice of next destination.

Or he waits a couple of days, shows up, and forces a release, thus giving him his choice of next destination.

This wouldn't surprise me a bit.