[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DUNGY: "Colts should trade Manning"

Shorttynaz

"Former Indianapolis Colts head coach and current NBC Football Night in America analyst Tony Dungy made an appearance on the Dan Patrick Show on Friday.

During his appearance Dungy discussed the possibility of the Colts ending up with the number one overall pick in next April’s NFL draft.

Dungy believes the Colts should select Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck, if they end up with the top overall pick. He believes if they end up with Luck, they should trade future hall of fame quarterback Peyton Manning away.

“I think you have to take him,” said Dungy.

Dungy indicated that Peyton Manning “would handle it OK, because you know it’s coming.”

“I would see him competing and playing as long as he wanted,” Dungy said. “If it gets to the point to where, hey, he comes back and it looks like he’s gonna play three or four more years, and you say — we’ve got Andrew Luck, we’ve got an asset — we trade (Peyton).”

As crazy as Dungy’s idea of trading Manning sounds, it would make the most sense if the Colts end up with Luck.

But, I also believe there’s a better alternative for the Colts. They should let Luck sit behind Manning for a season or two, since they won’t be financially obligated to throw him to the wolves right away, since there’s now a rookie wage scale in place.

Then if Manning’s not ready to retire, but Luck is all set to start, the Colts could then trade Manning."

LINK

I was listening to the show and Dungy never said.... "You trade Peyton".... also, he did refer to Luck as an asset...... I guess if you take Luck and say you "trade him" I would render that him is the asset....??? Not trying to start something here, but I think he was saying you have to take Luck because of the value and at worse you have a trade asset in Luck, not in Peyton, even though, as highly touted as Luck is, you have to wonder if trading Peyton may make more sense in the long run.....

"Former Indianapolis Colts head coach and current NBC Football Night in America analyst Tony Dungy made an appearance on the Dan Patrick Show on Friday.

During his appearance Dungy discussed the possibility of the Colts ending up with the number one overall pick in next April’s NFL draft.

Dungy believes the Colts should select Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck, if they end up with the top overall pick. He believes if they end up with Luck, they should trade future hall of fame quarterback Peyton Manning away.

“I think you have to take him,” said Dungy.

Dungy indicated that Peyton Manning “would handle it OK, because you know it’s coming.”

“I would see him competing and playing as long as he wanted,” Dungy said. “If it gets to the point to where, hey, he comes back and it looks like he’s gonna play three or four more years, and you say — we’ve got Andrew Luck, we’ve got an asset — we trade (Peyton).”

As crazy as Dungy’s idea of trading Manning sounds, it would make the most sense if the Colts end up with Luck.

But, I also believe there’s a better alternative for the Colts. They should let Luck sit behind Manning for a season or two, since they won’t be financially obligated to throw him to the wolves right away, since there’s now a rookie wage scale in place.

Then if Manning’s not ready to retire, but Luck is all set to start, the Colts could then trade Manning."

LINK

I'd like to hear Dungy's take on his hand-picked successor, Jim Caldwell.

I betcha Dungy would throw blame everywhere BUT there.

Not much; it's a neck injury. He may very well never play another down.

Still haven't heard a professional's opinion say it's career threatening.. I've heard speculation, but nothing from a doctor stating he should hang up the cleats for good..