[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Plumbing question?

delusions of grandeur

Okay, so I'm trying to fix a leak coming from the hot side of my dual handle shower faucet. I'm aware of all the steps I need to do, but execution is a bitch...

I cannot locate the master shutoff for the water (not my house, owner is unavailable to ask), but after talking to the guys at the hardware store, just turning off the hot water heater and shutting off the supply from there should have been good enough to stop the HOT side.

So now I've been sitting here for about 30 minutes or so waiting for the water to drain out. There is little to no pressure, yet hot water continues to run at a very light pace with little indication is about to be done draining.... I'm assuming I've done something wrong, but is it common for it to take this long to drain out in a small 3 bedroom house?

(Also if anyone has any tips to get off the stuck faucet handle head without one of those special tools, would be greatly appreciated)

Open other faucets in the house may help.

And if you have a electric hot water heater make sure it is off. And make sure it is full of water again before you turn it back on again. Do this by turning on the water at the shut off and turn on your faucets. Otherwise you will burn up the elements and that is another project.

And if you have a electric hot water heater make sure it is off. And make sure it is full of water again before you turn it back on again. Do this by turning on the water at the shut off and turn on your faucets. Otherwise you will burn up the elements and that is another project.

Thanks guys!

I have turned the water heater off, and cut it off coming from the water heater, not going to it as far as I can tell... Other than that, how can I make sure it's still full of water?

if you are draining the whole system it could take quite a while. are you sweating the pipe or do you only need to replace the shut off valve at the shower.

Open other faucets in the house may help.

I am just trying to replace the shutoff valve at the shower, as that appears to be the issue.

Thanks guys!

I have turned the water heater off, and cut it off coming from the water heater, not going to it as far as I can tell... Other than that, how can I make sure it's still full of water?

Depending how big your place is, if you shut off the water coming from the hot water heater I wouldnt think that it would take very long to drain the lines. When your project is done and you open the shut off at your hot water heater back on you should hear air coming through the hot faucets after that water will come through. That should be the sign that your hot water heater is full.

Once you shut the water off at the water heater and open the faucet it shoold drain down in about a minute or so. Now if your water heater is in the attic it could be pulling a siphon from the tank but it sounds like the shut off vale at the water heater is not completely off. perhaps you need to take a pair of pliers and tighten it down a LITTLE.

You can sometimes get the handle off by tapping on it and wiggling it back and forth. Be aware though that in some cases you could break the stem. The special tool really works great. You could use a little WD40 to help.

The main shut off to the house can usually be found in the front in line with the water meter and the sillcock a few feet from the house. You may need to use a screw driver and poke around a little. No guarentee its there though.

Feel free to PM if you need more help.