[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dog owners - Questions

MrTed46

2 Weimaraners. On days when no one is at the house, they are crated and left alone for about 4-5 hours in the morning, and another 2 hours in the afternoon, with a bathroom break in between.

If you don't mind me asking,

How many days on average are they left alone a week?

I have a mixed-breed from the pound. She's part Austrailian blue heeler and part black lab. I don't usually buy a dog or cat. In general, mutts are healthier and smarter than full-breeds. There are, of course, many exceptions to that rule, but because of inbreeding, it's almost impossible to find a really smart and healthy Dalmation or Golden Retriever these days. Hugh's Wiemer's are probably an exception simply because the demand for them hasn't really been what it's been for other dogs. Plus there's knowing you saved a dog from being put to sleep.

Now off my soap box, Chloe was crate-trained and she generally can go 9 hours without a problem. But she doesn't even go in the crate since my wife and I split up. I needed the company so she started sleeping on the bed with me and going with me anytime I could take her. And a dog being alone is no biggie - they sleep most of the time you're gone. Shortly after I went off to college my parents got a full-blooded Keeshond (pronouced case-hund, a dutch barge dog). That was hands-down the smartest dog I've ever seen, and never went to the vet except for shots (see what I mean about exceptions, but again, she's a breed that isn't nearly as popular as a lab or such?). She knew everybody's names in the house (tell her "go get Dad" and she'd go where he was, stand in the doorway and bark a couple times, then come back). That little dog could go 12 hours without messing in the house, though she'd piddle a couple tablespoons worth of happy water when you came home.

If you don't mind me asking,

How many days on average are they left alone a week?

OK, on Monday, Wednesday and Friday they're pretty much out all day. They are crated at night, let's say from 10PM to 6AM.

On Tuesday and Thursday they are crated from 7:30AM to noon, and then again from 12:30 until about 3PM (sometimes they are left uncrated in the house for this period). And then crated again at night.

On the weekends they're usually out all the time.

What kind of dog? 3 wirehairs

Is someone home with them the majority of the day? They are alone every weekday while we're at work.

If not, how long do you leave them alone? Typically, 7:30 am to 5:30 or 6:00 pm.

If they are alone, do you leave them indoors or outdoors? I have built indoor/outdoor kennels off the garage. The dogs are in them whenever no one is at home, and we have one in the house and two in the kennels when we head to bed, on a rotation.

Have a lab.

As my wife is primarily a stay at home mom, there is someone home fairly regularly with him, though he will go several hours most days with no one there as my wife runs the kids to school, stops in at the office for her family business, goes to doctor appointments, groceries, etc. We've left him over 12 hours before when we've been out on day trips, but prefer not to.

At our old house we had a dog door so he had free reign of the house and backyard when we were gone.

New house (last 2.5 years) does not have dog door, so he stays inside. Usually he'll be laying on the bed in the front room looking out the front window or he goes and sleeps on our bed. In the last 6-8 months he has taken to digging in the trash can when we leave, so now we have to remember to pick up the can or we'll have clean up when we get home.

English lab, 6 years old

Rescue mutt, approx 4 years old

Home inside everyday. They get an hour run outside every morni g and a long walk or ball session every night.

The longest they are generally home alone is like 5 hours. Otherwise my wife or I are home or the nanny is at the house with dogs and kids.

I'm asking because I have an opportunity to save a puppy and looking in the future (about a year), time availability will be low. The assumption is, a year from now, 9AM-5PM, Mon-Fri, no will be home to take care of the dog. I've raised a dog before, but never left them alone this long so I am worried. This is based on assumptions me and my wife made about our work schedule.

I tried to save a puppy last year and had to return it to the pound because the dog had severe behaviour problems. I vowed never to rescue a dog again...that is until I saw this puppy. If we don't save her not sure what will become of her but I don't want to be a bad parent to her.

I'm willing to build her a heated dog house so she can roam outside in the yard or crate her the time I am gone.

Thoughts?

Edited by MrTed46

I'm asking because I have an opportunity to save a puppy and looking in the future (about a year), time availability will be low. The assumption is, a year from now, 9AM-5PM, Mon-Fri, no will be home to take care of the dog. I've raised dogs before, but never left them alone this long so I am worried. This is based on assumptions me and my wife made about our work schedule.

I tried to save a puppy last year and had to return it to the pound because the dog had severe behaviour problems. I vowed never to rescue a dog again...that is until I saw this puppy. If we don't save her not sure what will become of her but I don't want to be a bad parent to her.

I'm willing to build her a heated dog house so she can roam outside in the yard or crate her the time I am gone.

Thoughts?

Most dogs like their crates. It's their home. An older dog can certainly be crated for 8 hours straight.

Most dogs like their crates. It's their home. An older dog can certainly be crated for 8 hours straight.

100% agree here. When Chloe was a puppy and she crapped in the house, she'd run into that crate because she knew she was going to be scolded and felt safe in there. Now, even without the crate she sleeps in the tightest space she can get into in the house (curled up between the bed and nightstand sometimes, and she's 50 pounds so that's tight). And a year should be plenty of time to crate train the dog. They can handle being home all day once they're a year old - no sweat. Just make sure if you feed in the morning they get to go fertalize the lawn before you put them in the crate.

I'm not as concerned as the dog going in the house as I am with the over all life quality of the dog. Don't get me wrong, I'd be upset if the dog goes in the house but my main concern is her happiness.

So it seems ok to leave the dog unattended for so long? I am sure she will just sleep. My other dogs slept regardless of being left alone or not but they he hated to be alone.

I'm not as concerned as the dog going in the house as I am with the over all life quality of the dog. Don't get me wrong, I'd be upset if the dog goes in the house but my main concern is her happiness.

So it seems ok to leave the dog unattended for so long? I am sure she will just sleep. My other dogs slept regardless of being left alone or not but they he hated to be alone.

If they're crated or not, they will sleep. What do you think happens if you don't crate the dog, he calls his buddies over and has a party? A crate is not only a home for the dog, but it's a safe place for the dog to be when you're not home. He won't be able to get into anything or get hurt or damage anything, etc.

If they're crated or not, they will sleep. What do you think happens if you don't crate the dog, he calls his buddies over and has a party? A crate is not only a home for the dog, but it's a safe place for the dog to be when you're not home. He won't be able to get into anything or get hurt or damage anything, etc.

You've never seen that poster with the dogs smoking cigars playing poker?

What kind of dog?

Is someone home with them the majority of the day?

If not, how long do you leave them alone?

1 - Jack Russell (terrier)

2 - Has varied a lot. Not generally.

3 - Also varies but typical work hours more or less.

If they are alone, do you leave them indoors or outdoors?
In. He's a rowdy nut when he wants to be but that's mostly outside - well behaved inside. I think mostly naps on the sofa or bed.

I'm asking because I have an opportunity to save a puppy and looking in the future (about a year), time availability will be low. The assumption is, a year from now, 9AM-5PM, Mon-Fri, no will be home to take care of the dog. I've raised dogs before, but never left them alone this long so I am worried. This is based on assumptions me and my wife made about our work schedule.
Since he'll have a whole year to acclimate and practically a "young adult" (don't buy into the "dog years" misconceptions), you should be fine, assuming he's well trained of course, and sounds like you're all over that as you're very conscientious about it, which is IMO more than half the battle.

I doubt that's an issue from the sounds of it. The other puppy was probably very much an exception and I think usually pups even if mistreated initially can be corrected both in terms of behavior and the proper attitude (ie screwing their head back on straight).

Depends on the dog but again with training, crating should be fine. Our previous JR did fine with it - this one wouldn't hear of it :wacko: but was a rescue dog and too old/strong-willed to go there, and as it turned out didn't really need anyway. Has never chewed anything other than appropriate stuff (rawhides etc).

Yeah that's the thing about having a dog and both people working nowdays - they're very social creatures and hate to be left alone - but sometimes you can't help it. Plus after it becomes routine and they know you'll be back, I think that helps a lot - they don't like it but it's not a catastrophe as they know it's just another day at the office. Plus you have weekends, days off etc.

Edited by BeeR

My wife and I are going to make the decision tonight on wether or not to take her.

BTW the dog is a Bullmastiff. She was found with her brothers and sisters around 6 weeks old at a junk yard.

Hope you do, even if just until you can find a good home for him. Sounds like it's either that or getting put down-?

We have a 3 yo American Bulldog although everyone says its a Boxer. We usually keep her in the house when we are gone and has free roam. If the weather is nice and we are only gonna be gone a short time (usually not more than 4 hrs) we let her stay outside. Some days she likes to stay outside most of the day and others perfers to hang indoors. She is real good and doesn't bother anything.

I know it's a lot but hope you do. I also wish they would find whoever left them there and put them down, but we all know that's just wishful thinking, unfortunately.

From what i understand, the owners of the junk yard left them there. One of their dogs just gave birth and they didn't want them. I hope they are not inbred.