[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What a heroic battle

bushwacked

Congress is fighting to keep pizza and french fries on school lunch lines, picking apart an Obama administration proposal to make school lunches healthier.

A spending bill released late Monday would unravel school lunch standards proposed by the Agriculture Department earlier this year, forcing USDA to pull back an attempt to limit potatoes on the lunch line, delaying limits on sodium and delaying a requirement to boost whole grains. The spending bill also would allow tomato paste on pizzas to be counted as a vegetable, as it is now. The department's proposed guidelines would have attempted to prevent that. The changes had been requested by food companies that produce frozen pizzas, the salt industry and potato growers

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sure are glad that we ain't got nuthin more impotant to wure abowt then what we be survin ta skool stoodents. Gud thang that r reprasintitives r willin to fite for wut gud for we.

what is wrong with potatos and tomato, cheese, bread, etc? there are many vitamins and lots of nutrition there. none of this is laden with unnatural sugars and as long as there is no trans fat in the pizza and fries (meaning as long as the potatos are real and the pizza is real) then what is the big deal?

what is wrong with potatos and tomato, cheese, bread, etc? there are many vitamins and lots of nutrition there. none of this is laden with unnatural sugars and as long as there is no trans fat in the pizza and fries (meaning as long as the potatos are real and the pizza is real) then what is the big deal?

:wacko: Yep . . . school lunches are just like the organic counter at Whole Foods . . . .:tup:

:wacko: Yep . . . school lunches are just like the organic counter at Whole Foods . . . .:tup:

I'd say it's as good as what most kiddies get at home.

I remember going over to friend's homes when younger and thinking to myself during meal times, "You guys actually eat this sh!t on a regular basis?"

you can't be serious :wacko:

I'd say it's as good as what most kiddies get at home.I remember going over to friend's homes when younger and thinking to myself during meal times, "You guys actually eat this sh!t on a regular basis?"

Isnt that the point? That it should be HEALTHIER than what the kids get a home? :wacko:

But ya cant fight those food service lobbyists that provide said "food" in a sweet contract with the schools . . .

I think parents should worry about what they serve their kids at home more than what they are being served at school.

If your kids are eating healthy stuff at home, having a little pizza and fries for lunch isn't a big deal.

If they are eating pop-tarts for breakfast and McDonald's for dinner, then I suppose they should rely on the government to do what the parents can't.

Isnt that the point? That it should be HEALTHIER than what the kids get a home? :wacko:

But ya cant fight those food service lobbyists that provide said "food" in a sweet contract with the schools . . .

No, parents shouldn't expect schools to serve their children better food than they do. Are you kidding?

I think parents should worry about what they serve their kids at home more than what they are being served at school.
Why are they mutually exclusive?

If your kids are eating healthy stuff at home, having a little pizza and fries for lunch isn't a big deal.
It might be if they're having it every day.

It's the amount of food wasted by the kids that bothers me the most. It is incredible how much is NOT eaten, just thrown away.

Then they go enlist. Or so it seems as this is hideous at chow halls as well; I've seen it. Guys grabbing a tray full of food, take 2 bites, and leave. Not all are that bad but a LOT of them I would say eat half or less of what they get. wtph? If I was in charge they wouldn't leave till it was all eaten. Wasted food is inexcusable and stupid on a variety of fronts.