[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mike Pereira seems to have some issues with Chuckie

Lloyd Dobler

Whether or not you like the format or method of Pereira's message ... the message contains a whole lot of truth IMO. Most of the announcers have their jobs because of the knowledge of the game they have based on their playing and / or coaching experience - so for the most part they are solid on the x's and o's of the game. However, if they are going to also offer comment on the rules and/or officiating of the game they have a responsibility to understand those rules.

Personally I have no problem with how Pereira chose to address this issue ... officials already take a ton of heat when they make bad calls - it is inexcusable for announcers to add fuel to the fire in their ignorance when the officials are making the proper calls.

I completely agree with this.

meh...whatever. Ref's should be seen, not heard. but hey, whatever floats your boat I guess.

Total lack of professionalism IMO. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

The ref.s have been taking a ton of heat for bad calls ... everybody and their mother watches every replay in slo-mo and determines that the ref.s are doing a bad job. I suspect they are a little sensitive to the criticism, ESPECIALLY when the criticism is unfounded (due to ignorance). You believe they should just sit back and take it then ... I think they have a right to respond to ignorance from the announcers that are calling them out on national television. If Gruden can't take the heat then he should learn the rules ... he certainly doesn't have a problem applying the heat even when he doesn't know the rules.

The ref.s have been taking a ton of heat for bad calls ... everybody and their mother watches every replay in slo-mo and determines that the ref.s are doing a bad job. I suspect they are a little sensitive to the criticism, ESPECIALLY when the criticism is unfounded (due to ignorance). You believe they should just sit back and take it then ... I think they have a right to respond to ignorance from the announcers that are calling them out on national television. If Gruden can't take the heat then he should learn the rules ... he certainly doesn't have a problem applying the heat even when he doesn't know the rules.

Listen...I agree with you for the most part. But refs should take the high road and shut the hell up. I partake this with a principle of a high school calling out his students for not graduating. Yeah....a high step but it is what it is.

And the refs have taken the heat for how long now? Is this now their payback? Really? Cmon Man!!

Edited by tazinib1

Total lack of professionalism IMO. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Lack of professionalism? He's not a ref. He's a paid commentator by Fox. Just like Gruden isn't an NFL coach, but a paid commentator by ESPN.

I don't care for his interruptions into games or his increasingly well coiffed hair, fancy glasses, or darkening skin tone since his move to LA after leaving the NFL offices, but it's not like the guy doesn't have a legit point. Maybe he shouldn't have brought up Gruden's on-field rep into things, but I kind of found it moderately refreshing to hear someone taking on the refs perspective in this regard since we only hear bitzing and moaning about them from coaches, players, and announcers.

Lack of professionalism? He's not a ref. He's a paid commentator by Fox. Just like Gruden isn't an NFL coach, but a paid commentator by ESPN.

I don't care for his interruptions into games or his increasingly well coiffed hair, fancy glasses, or darkening skin tone since his move to LA after leaving the NFL offices, but it's not like the guy doesn't have a legit point. Maybe he shouldn't have brought up Gruden's on-field rep into things, but I kind of found it moderately refreshing to hear someone taking on the refs perspective in this regard since we only hear bitzing and moaning about them from coaches, players, and announcers.

I suppose..if you are an ignorant NFL fan. We here, know the difference.

I suppose..if you are an ignorant NFL fan. We here, know the difference.

I am seriously trying to figure out what your point is here?

Is it that you don't need to hear from MP because you know the rules? If so then do you watch the games on mute since you don't need the color commentary? MP has a point, maybe calling Gruden out specifically wasn't cool, but that doesn't detract from his point being correct.

Listen...I agree with you for the most part. But refs should take the high road and shut the hell up. I partake this with a principle of a high school calling out his students for not graduating. Yeah....a high step but it is what it is.

And the refs have taken the heat for how long now? Is this now their payback? Really? Cmon Man!!

See ... that is where I disagree with you .... I don't believe they are taking the "low road" when they point out the ignorance of the announcers in regards to the rules.

I am seriously trying to figure out what your point is here?

Is it that you don't need to hear from MP because you know the rules? If so then do you watch the games on mute since you don't need the color commentary? MP has a point, maybe calling Gruden out specifically wasn't cool, but that doesn't detract from his point being correct.

His point may be correct but yes, calling him out was Pop Warnerish. Thats my issue.

His point may be correct but yes, calling him out was Pop Warnerish. Thats my issue.

But is it ok for Gruden to call out an official during a game by saying something like "I don't know what that official was thinking, no way that should be a penalty"?

Look, easy to see there was an axe to grind, but normally when that happens the grinding is happening on something that is subjective...this wasn't so that is why it isn't ruffling my feathers :wacko:

He has a point, but that point goes mostly toward the uninformed. Calling Chuckie out like he did, not only lacks class, but screams" look at me". Chuckie has forgot more football accumen than fake and bake ever knew. Just another Delta Bravo, proving he is one.

Edited by Hugh B Tool

He has a point, but that point goes mostly toward the uninformed. Calling Chuckie out like he did, not only lacks class, but screams" look at me". Chuckie has forgot more football accumen than fake and bake ever knew. Just another Delta Bravo, proving he is one.

Football acumen has NOTHING to do with knowing the rules ... Gruden still looks like an idiot when he doesn't know the rules, regardless of what level of football acumen he may have.

But is it ok for Gruden to call out an official during a game by saying something like "I don't know what that official was thinking, no way that should be a penalty"?

Look, easy to see there was an axe to grind, but normally when that happens the grinding is happening on something that is subjective...this wasn't so that is why it isn't ruffling my feathers :wacko:

Why yes. yes it is. Chuckie's football resume is a whole lot more condusive to this type of commentary than an ex insurance salesman or banker that Ref'd on their days off IMO

Why yes. yes it is. Chuckie's football resume is a whole lot more condusive to this type of commentary than an ex insurance salesman or banker that Ref'd on their days off IMO

Pereira is the former head of NFL officials, not a referee (although his wikipedia page says he did for two seasons in the 90s). How is his opinion on Gruden's lack of knowledge or understanding of rules less conducive?

Football acumen has NOTHING to do with knowing the rules ... Gruden still looks like an idiot when he doesn't know the rules, regardless of what level of football acumen he may have.

And rules are never ambiguous in the NFL, right? So it actually has everything to do with it. Go buy a new bat :wacko:

Pereira is the former head of NFL officials, not a referee (although his wikipedia page says he did for two seasons in the 90s). How is his opinion on Gruden's lack of knowledge or understanding of rules less conducive?

Wikifreakinpedia? Because rules change all the time and are ruled on by humans. Gruden was/is more offended by the state of this beautifully violent game and the direction it is going. Tackling the way you were taught to as a kid is now too violent. Pereira is just another Nancyboy looking to make more of a name for himself by calling out one of the best football minds to come down the pike in years.

Wikifreakinpedia? Because rules change all the time and are ruled on by humans. Gruden was/is more offended by the state of this beautifully violent game and the direction it is going. Tackling the way you were taught to as a kid is now too violent. Pereira is just another Nancyboy looking to make more of a name for himself by calling out one of the best football minds to come down the pike in years.

Wow, I'd hate to step in front of your TV on a Monday Night.