[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Official SWTOR thread

cliaz

Who here is playing Star Wars: The Old Republic?

I've leveled my Smuggler to 10 and chose the Gunslinger path. Tried PVP last night and it was way, unbalanced I think. Jedi just slaughtered me left and right. I don't think Smuggler is going to be a good PVP class because almost all of your serious dps abilities are tied to a class specific ability called Cover that kind of leaves you immobile on the battlefield. It's great for PVE but I couldn't get it to work with PVP. By the time I covered and set up for an aimed shot, I would have a jedi all over me cutting me to pieces before I managed to get off one shot.

Outside of the issue with PVP I love the game. It takes all that is right with MMO mechanics from WoW and blends it with the companion and story progression of the Mass Effect series. I'm thoroughly enjoying the PVE story line but it can be somewhat tedious to run from one side of a planet to another just to do movie scenes to progress a story. I'm betting once you get out of the lower levels this isn't going to be as time consuming as it is right now.

Still can't figure out what instances are in this game, though. I think they are these things called flashpoints but I have been unable to get a group together for a flashpoint.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who here is playing Star Wars: The Old Republic?

I've leveled my Smuggler to 10 and chose the Gunslinger path. Tried PVP last night and it was way, unbalanced I think. Jedi just slaughtered me left and right. I don't think Smuggler is going to be a good PVP class because almost all of your serious dps abilities are tied to a class specific ability called Cover that kind of leaves you immobile on the battlefield. It's great for PVE but I couldn't get it to work with PVP. By the time I covered and set up for an aimed shot, I would have a jedi all over me cutting me to pieces before I managed to get off one shot.

Outside of the issue with PVP I love the game. It takes all that is right with MMO mechanics from WoW and blends it with the companion and story progression of the Mass Effect series. I'm thoroughly enjoying the PVE story line but it can be somewhat tedious to run from one side of a planet to another just to do movie scenes to progress a story. I'm betting once you get out of the lower levels this isn't going to be as time consuming as it is right now.

Still can't figure out what instances are in this game, though. I think they are these things called flashpoints but I have been unable to get a group together for a flashpoint.

:wacko:

:tup:

!▀▀]▀▀!▀!▀[Θ]▀!▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

very cool

I play an Empire Imperial Agent and got to level 7. Just started last night.

The game definitely has a WoW feel to it with the story progression but with "choose your own adventure" aspects drawn from your standard BioWare games (Dragon Age, Mass Effect etc.). Very easy to pick up, very quest driven but manages to progress the "story" somewhat with each class mission you complete.

I haven't grouped with anyone yet but the game does have some social aspects too with the implementation of social points (points gained through teaming with others), not 100% sure what that does for you though.

I play an Empire Imperial Agent and got to level 7. Just started last night.

The game definitely has a WoW feel to it with the story progression but with "choose your own adventure" aspects drawn from your standard BioWare games (Dragon Age, Mass Effect etc.). Very easy to pick up, very quest driven but manages to progress the "story" somewhat with each class mission you complete.

I haven't grouped with anyone yet but the game does have some social aspects too with the implementation of social points (points gained through teaming with others), not 100% sure what that does for you though.

I'm on the Anchorhead server. You should make a Republic toon and come join in. I've done some grouping but it doesn't have the strength that WoW groups have and I think a lot of that has to do with people still trying to figure out how their class/advance class maps over to the standard Tank, DPS, Healer model. I can tell you that social points seems to be very important for the progression of your character and it also influences how your companions react to you. I found that if I grouped with a jedi or a trooper that all I do is hang out in the back and fire off shots here and there but mostly just loot and CC mobs.

What server are you on?

I've got a 16 Light side Bounty Hunter Merc and 8 Jedi Knight on Lord Ielis server. The BH would wipe the floor with the Jedi. I've also rolled a Sith Inquisitor and Trooper but wiped those and switched servers for a more mature crowd--somewhat at least. It's been quite fun and very immersive.

Edited by Trojanmojo

I've got a 16 Light side Bounty Hunter Merc and 8 Jedi Knight on Lord Ielis server. The BH would wipe the floor with the Jedi. I've also rolled a Sith Inquisitor and Trooper but wiped those and switched servers for a more mature crowd--somewhat at least. It's been quite fun and very immersive.

Interesting. How does that work with a BH leaning on the Light side? Do you get crap from NPCs giving you attitude or something?

One thing I am very surprised about on my server is the low level of jedi I'm seeing rolling around. I figured 99.999% of the players would be rolling them up. However, when I get into PVP with the empire it is nothing but Siths - they're like roaches.

Interesting. How does that work with a BH leaning on the Light side? Do you get crap from NPCs giving you attitude or something?

One thing I am very surprised about on my server is the low level of jedi I'm seeing rolling around. I figured 99.999% of the players would be rolling them up. However, when I get into PVP with the empire it is nothing but Siths - they're like roaches.

BHs aren't citizens of the empire so I care not about most of the imp NPCs or sith. I care about credits LOL and I see myself as a hired gun and out to bring in people for credits...not be a mindless killer. Anyways, I'm mostly about keeping my cute little companion Mako happy LOL...love that the game has love interests built in with affection points.

Of course I'll probably end up rerolling my sith and go full on dark side with him....that's also a fun way to go. I actually find going light side as a bounty hunter is the path less travelled so there's less competition for higher end gear....not too many of us running around. I've suffered no negative repercussions for going Light Side at all.

Edited by Trojanmojo

BHs aren't citizens of the empire so I care not about most of the imp NPCs or sith. I care about credits LOL and I see myself as a hired gun and out to bring in people for credits...not be a mindless killer. Anyways, I'm mostly about keeping my cute little companion Mako happy LOL...love that the game has love interests built in with affection points.

Of course I'll probably end up rerolling my sith and go full on dark side with him....that's also a fun way to go. I actually find going light side as a bounty hunter is the path less travelled so there's less competition for higher end gear....not too many of us running around. I've suffered no negative repercussions for going Light Side at all.

Rock on, man :wacko:

I'm really digging the whole smuggler thing. In fact, last night I was rolling through the Senate and two Senators got with me to help them out of jams they have from these refugees. In both instances each one was corrupt and I ended up uncovering their plans during the progress through chain quests. In the end, I chose to expose both of them. In doing so, the one senator decided it would be better to call a meeting of the senate and admit to everything herself while the other senator was secretly obtaining these illegal chips that are used in slaves (the bombs they implant them with) and had been planning to make slaves out of these refugees and then try to pursue the Senate to legalize slavery again. So I think he's dispatch bounty hunters to bring me in on some bogus charge.

And that leads me to my next topic - Bounty Hunters overall. I'm only lvl 11 right now but I already have this crime boss called 'The Butcher' sending out a bunch of BHs after me for something another NPC did early on in the game (already killed 2 of them) and now I have to look over my shoulder for the next wave from this Senator. Pretty awesome if you ask me.

Became a full- fledged Jedi Knight yesterday. Nice choice. The cinema scenes have me goosebumps. I think you'll dig it. I went more dps than tank though and went with the sentinel advanced class. Good luck and may the force be with you. :wacko:

Made a Jedi Knight named Arggerush on Anchorhead. We'll have to try to tag up sometime.

Awesome, I'm Rigsbee the Gunslinger. I finally was able to get my first Heroic done. It kind of sucked because the start of the heroic was way the frack and a day across the other side of a zone that was filled with mobs so I had to spent 30 minutes to get there. I wish they had some type of summoning function in this game. But it was awesome. Now I'm cooking with gas. I got the whole companion thing and crew skills down so I send out my goon to do treasure hunting or underworld trading all the time. I've got the combat engine down pretty good and I'm really starting to love the smuggler/gunslinger role.

I'm about 2/3s of the way done with the smuggler story so I have a feeling I'll be leaving Coresant (or however you spell it) soon. The smuggler's prologue is a very pimp story. You start off coming in to Ord Mandel to delivery weapons to the Republic friendly government but your contact there steals your ship when the Sith empire attacks. The dude who takes it is called Savek and your quest to get back your ship takes through the battlefields and spy rings on Ord Mandel to the Republic fleet and through the seedy underbelly of Coresant to face off against the black sun, you get wrapped up in exposing 2 corrupt senators while the whole time you have 2 different sets of bounty hunters chasing you down. It's a very good story line.

Became a full- fledged Jedi Knight yesterday. Nice choice. The cinema scenes have me goosebumps. I think you'll dig it. I went more dps than tank though and went with the sentinel advanced class. Good luck and may the force be with you. :wacko:

And this new Jedi is on Anchorhead, right? Right?

Awesome, I'm Rigsbee the Gunslinger. I finally was able to get my first Heroic done. It kind of sucked because the start of the heroic was way the frack and a day across the other side of a zone that was filled with mobs so I had to spent 30 minutes to get there. I wish they had some type of summoning function in this game. But it was awesome. Now I'm cooking with gas. I got the whole companion thing and crew skills down so I send out my goon to do treasure hunting or underworld trading all the time. I've got the combat engine down pretty good and I'm really starting to love the smuggler/gunslinger role.

I'm about 2/3s of the way done with the smuggler story so I have a feeling I'll be leaving Coresant (or however you spell it) soon. The smuggler's prologue is a very pimp story. You start off coming in to Ord Mandel to delivery weapons to the Republic friendly government but your contact there steals your ship when the Sith empire attacks. The dude who takes it is called Savek and your quest to get back your ship takes through the battlefields and spy rings on Ord Mandel to the Republic fleet and through the seedy underbelly of Coresant to face off against the black sun, you get wrapped up in exposing 2 corrupt senators while the whole time you have 2 different sets of bounty hunters chasing you down. It's a very good story line.

And this new Jedi is on Anchorhead, right? Right?

What level are you? I worked my ass off to get to level 9 last night. Not bad for one sitting.

Really close to ditching this BS Vibrosword and getting a real lightsaber. I'm liking Jedi Knight much more than my Imperial Agent although I suspect that the competition for group space will be tough once I get to the end game.

Edited by Tford

What level are you? I worked my ass off to get to level 9 last night. Not bad for one sitting.

Really close to ditching this BS Vibrosword and getting a real lightsaber. I'm liking Jedi Knight much more than my Imperial Agent although I suspect that the competition for group space will be tough once I get to the end game.

Level 13 (and to get there was a long, long road). And I mean that for real. Almost all of my missions have me start on one side of a planet and then run all the way to the other side and then I have to run all the way back. That would be my only complaint about the game. In a one hour segment, I spend 35 to 40 minutes running around.

Hopefully you get to where I am tonight. It is so hard to find people for groups. The Republic side is less populated than the Sith Empire (go figure). I think I read in the forums today that it is a 5 to 1 ratio.

Level 13 (and to get there was a long, long road). And I mean that for real. Almost all of my missions have me start on one side of a planet and then run all the way to the other side and then I have to run all the way back. That would be my only complaint about the game. In a one hour segment, I spend 35 to 40 minutes running around.

Hopefully you get to where I am tonight. It is so hard to find people for groups. The Republic side is less populated than the Sith Empire (go figure). I think I read in the forums today that it is a 5 to 1 ratio.

I'm going to take a run at the game again after curling, hopefully we can pair up for some questing over the weekend.

i need to get to a Bonspiel. it has been a while .

Tonight will be the first time I've been in the hack for about 10 months. I'm probably going to curl like garbage but hey, booze is still good.

I was able to make it to within 1000 xp of level 13 before the servers shut down. PM me if you want to take a run at some questing this weekend. I am on Coruscant right now, just cleaned up the Merchant Guild quest line.

I was able to make it to within 1000 xp of level 13 before the servers shut down. PM me if you want to take a run at some questing this weekend. I am on Coruscant right now, just cleaned up the Merchant Guild quest line.

You are right about where I am give or take a few quests. I have 4 heroics in my mission book now so I'm down with running all sorts of crap this weekend. I'll be on tonight between 8PM - midnight.

One thing I learned last night, the smuggler class is the slowing running class there is. I was group with some jedi and then some troopers and all of them ran faster than I and I would fall behind very fast. Don't know if that is by design or a bug.

One thing I've noticed: If you want decent weapons and mods, you need to run flashpoints (instances).

Ran Esseles for the first time last night and the Sith boss dropped two lightsabers. To that point, I've never seen one drop and was still wielding the lightsaber I built on Tython.

So even if you are a bit overleveled (or me underleveled as it were), I'd still run some flashpoints for gear.