[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best Keeper League Format?

kw_gullatt06

We have been in a keeper league for 5 years and it seems to have lost its luster. Basically each year everyone picked 5 guys to keep. So what is the best way to sit it up with out having to go thru a supplemental draft? And we use espn.com is there any better websites designed for keepers?

It's a really open ended question. If you are open to a big change that's a lot more fun than a standard keeper league, check out the rules for Fusion or Any Time, Any Place. These are Contract Dynasty leagues with IDPs. Much mroe of a challenge and more fun IMO.

You would probably have to redraft, and if you can muster 16 people to play it would be a better league, but those are the hurdles you have to jump to play a better game.

No such thing as a "best" format, just a ton of options that have their pros and cons. A few off the top of my head:

1. Straight keeper - what you currently have, each team keeps a fixed number of players. An extra option is having a max number of years that players can be kept.

2. Optional Keeper - Each team can keep up to X number of players, with each player kept costing a draft pick, starting from the 1st round down. (i.e, keep 4 players, you forfeit your first 4 picks). As with the straight keeper, can have a max number of years a player can be kept.

3. Increasing Cost Keeper - Teams can keep X number of players (or unlimited even), but they cost a pick that is X number of rounds higher than they were drafted. X is usually in the 2-3 range. So, for example, if you are using 3 rounds higher, a player drafted in the 6th round this year would cost a 3rd round pick to keep next year. Any player taken in the first 3 rounds is ineligible to be kept.

4. AS CN noted, tons of dynasty options as well involving salary, contracts, etc.

A lot comes down to how involved and intricate your owners are willing to go to make it a bit more interesting.

one way to keep things interesting (i.e. more player turnover so they same guys dont stay stuck on teh same teams) is to limit the number of keeper players to 2 or 3. i'm only in 1 keeper and we can keep 1 player from round 1-3 and 1 player from round 4 or later. the first 2 rounds are your 2 keepers so u get 1 new player in ur top 3 rounds, so u can keep 1 guy for years in a row but the roster turnover happens every year. I think this is a great middle ground between a full redraft and having tons of keepers. so maybe instead of 5, drop the number of keepers down to the 2 or 3 range and that will help keep the league interesting and different from year to year. also makes for some tough decisions on who to keep when u limit to such a low number.

we use yahoo cuz it tracks the league history, u can trade draft picks, easy to customize the scoring and its free.

Edited by Kris N