[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Starting a new league and need some advice and suggestions

Whiskey Pimp

A co-worker and I are starting a new league this year and I'm looking for advice from fellow huddlers. It's going to be a 12 team league (non IDP) and we are going to use contracts for keepers. We're not wanting a full on dynasty league because we want to have a decent amount of players back in the pool so to speak each year but also a chance for owners to build their teams for the future. For example we're thinking of something like an 18 player roster with 15 contract years.

The advice I'm looking for is how to get this started and what specifics we should discuss and of course any recommendations like how big of a roster, how many contract years, league calendar for allocating the contracts, etc. Are 15 contract years too many or not enough? Is an auction the best way to do the inaugural roster and auction going forward or draft going forward? Should there be limits to the amount of contract years each player gets? How does trading of players under contract work? Etc.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

TIA

Edited by Whiskey Pimp

A co-worker and I are starting a new league this year and I'm looking for advice from fellow huddlers. It's going to be a 12 team league (non IDP) and we are going to use contracts for keepers. We're not wanting a full on dynasty league because we want to have a decent amount of players back in the pool so to speak each year but also a chance for owners to build their teams for the future. For example we're thinking of something like an 18 player roster with 15 contract years.The advice I'm looking for is how to get this started and what specifics we should discuss and of course any recommendations like how big of a roster, how many contract years, league calendar for allocating the contracts, etc. Are 15 contract years too many or not enough? Is an auction the best way to do the inaugural roster and auction going forward or draft going forward? Should there be limits to the amount of contract years each player gets? How does trading of players under contract work? Etc.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

TIA

No one has any opinions or advice?

:wacko:

been busy but will be off on Mon, Tue & Wed of next week and try to get a nice post together for you then.

edit: see the bold and underlined...do you plan on using fractional contracts?

Edited by keggerz

:wacko:

been busy but will be off on Mon, Tue & Wed of next week and try to get a nice post together for you then.

edit: see the bold and underlined...do you plan on using fractional contracts?

I appreciate you putting something together for me when you have some time.

To clarify the part you underlined, what we were thinking is that you would have 15 contract years and could allocate those however you like for whatever length of time. For example I might give 5 years to Rodgers, 2 to Forte, 2 to MJD, 2 to Welker, 4 to Gronkowski and then I would need to fill the other 13 spots at the draft in 2013. What are fractional contracts?

Every contract league that I am in (2 currently) requires at least 1 contract year for each roster spot. Thus those with 1 year on their contract and in the final year ofbeing on the roster.

If you want to keep player turnover higher, but allow owners to build some for the future, you could do something like give an inital allotment of contracts each team could use, like say 2 5-year contract, 3 4-year contracts, 4 3-year contracts, 4 2-year contracts and 5 1-year contracts.

The problem is deciding what length of time future drafted/auctioned players can be provided. Do you have a cap of years for a team that the must adhere to. If so, can they carry less players than 18 providing longer contracts?

Following on that, rather than have a set number of contracts by length, provide each team a contract pool like you noted above, but make it more like something around 40 or 50 years to be spread across all players. Reduce the contract term for each player by 1 each season, and then whatever each team has under the cap is how many years they have to assign to new players acquired un the draft/auction.

Every contract league that I am in (2 currently) requires at least 1 contract year for each roster spot. Thus those with 1 year on their contract and in the final year ofbeing on the roster.

If you want to keep player turnover higher, but allow owners to build some for the future, you could do something like give an inital allotment of contracts each team could use, like say 2 5-year contract, 3 4-year contracts, 4 3-year contracts, 4 2-year contracts and 5 1-year contracts.

The problem is deciding what length of time future drafted/auctioned players can be provided. Do you have a cap of years for a team that the must adhere to. If so, can they carry less players than 18 providing longer contracts?

Following on that, rather than have a set number of contracts by length, provide each team a contract pool like you noted above, but make it more like something around 40 or 50 years to be spread across all players. Reduce the contract term for each player by 1 each season, and then whatever each team has under the cap is how many years they have to assign to new players acquired un the draft/auction.

The bolded part is exactly what we are thinking. We want owners to be able to build for the future but also have a good pool of available players each year as well. So you might protect 5 or 6 key players in your roster but turn the rest over year to year.

if you want to keep player turnover higher, then you can use a set amount of keepers based on the rounds they were drafted. Keep 2 from round 1-5 and 3 from the rest of the draft. Then in future years you could only keep 2 of your keepers after year 1. keeps the players moving around but still lets you have continuity on your team from year to year. just a thought if you dont want to juggle contract years, its more straight forward if you're trying to start a new league with people and get them interested.

if you want to keep player turnover higher, then you can use a set amount of keepers based on the rounds they were drafted. Keep 2 from round 1-5 and 3 from the rest of the draft. Then in future years you could only keep 2 of your keepers after year 1. keeps the players moving around but still lets you have continuity on your team from year to year. just a thought if you dont want to juggle contract years, its more straight forward if you're trying to start a new league with people and get them interested.

While we do want a somewhat higher amount of player turnover, we still want owners to be able to build their future and be able to build their roster however they see fit. It will also be an auction most likely so rounds won't exist but thanks for the idea and comments.

While we do want a somewhat higher amount of player turnover, we still want owners to be able to build their future and be able to build their roster however they see fit. It will also be an auction most likely so rounds won't exist but thanks for the idea and comments.

Assuming it is an auction, this implies you have a salary cap. Just build in an escalator to your salaries - i.e., they go up 10% every year, and then let your owners keep whatever players they wish. This gives the benefit of rewarding owners that find low cost players the opportunity of keeping them for a while, makes them make the hard decision about higher cost players and whether or not to keep them, etc., and with the cap in place, it'll force turnover as owners will need to clear space in the offseason for the upcoming year's auction, plus the 10% escalator (or whatever you choose to go with) will push most teams over the cap forcing them to make cuts.

Assuming it is an auction, this implies you have a salary cap. Just build in an escalator to your salaries - i.e., they go up 10% every year, and then let your owners keep whatever players they wish. This gives the benefit of rewarding owners that find low cost players the opportunity of keeping them for a while, makes them make the hard decision about higher cost players and whether or not to keep them, etc., and with the cap in place, it'll force turnover as owners will need to clear space in the offseason for the upcoming year's auction, plus the 10% escalator (or whatever you choose to go with) will push most teams over the cap forcing them to make cuts.

That does make things simpler but our plan is to have guys plan build their teams for multiple years and not just the next one. We started by discussing a full on dynasty league but wanted to be able to do an auction every year with at least some of the "top" players back in the mix each year.

• 3 weeks later...