[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

No... Here we go...

SEC=UGA

Poor, poor, Rushie and Sandra Fluke... Rush is an idiot and I'm betting Sandra is a dirty, dirty girl in the sack.

Oh yeah, back to the heart of the issue... The crushing expense of Birth Control is preventing some wimmen from getting the necessary medicine for ovarian cysts. Why, one of Sandra Fluke's friends sent her a message from the hospital that she was having a cyst removed because she couldn't afford the $100 per month her medicine cost. She told Sandra in the text that she had been at the hospital all night because it felt like she had been shot and they were going to have to remove the cyst, which was the size of a tennis ball, and her ovary... She texted her this, stating how bad it was that she just couldn't afford the $100 for her medicine to keep her from having cysts form which could lead to her ovary being removed something which could lead to early menopause and her not being able to "give my mother her desperately desired grand babies" (though, previously, they didn't have to worry about her getting pregnant because "she is a thespian".) That $100 dollars was better spent on an apparatus via which she could connect with Sandra to tell her that she had lost her ovary rather than to take the appropriate medication to keep her from losing her ovary. It is truly a shame that one person would rather shell out $100 of their hard earned money on technology products than a pill that would keep them from losing their ovary... But hey, you know, people are entitled to cell phones.

So confused. So she bought a cell phone every month?

No, no, no.... Jesus, follow my prattle... She should have purchased her $100 worth of pills and been straight instead of buying a HUGH stimulation device that gave her cysts. :bash:

Fluke's face is pretty effective birth control IMO. She looks like a young Susan Boyle.

When her face is buried in... Nevermind.

So confused. So she bought a cell phone every month?

I get the $100 might be a hardship, so her friendmust be down to the bare bones in her budget. So Her freind must only have the necessary black and brown shoes, and only a couple of nice outfits she buys a year and nothing else. And she doesnt buys all the lattees each week anymore, restaurant trips, etc. She is driving a car without any options, and a home with meager furnishings. Otherwise, I think she could dig a bit further into making it happen. Again, if she has gone as far as she could to make it happen, great. Otherwise, her story might be a little embelished so the masses to latch on.

If I couldnt afford $100 for me, my wife, or my kids medicine, I think I, like a lot of people, would go down to the bare bones to make sure it happened. Including letting go of my cell phone whether it was $100, $50, or $25 a month,

Wouldn't it just be cheaper to keep some of these people from having kids in the first place?

From wikipedia:

Planned Parenthood has received federal funding since 1970, when President Richard Nixon signed into law the Family Planning Services and Population Research Act, amending the Public Health Service Act. Title X of that law provides funding for family planning services, including contraception and family planning information. The law enjoyed bipartisan support from liberals who saw contraception access as increasing families' control over their lives, and conservatives who saw it as a way to keep people off welfare. Nixon described Title X funding as based on the premise that "no American woman should be denied access to family planning assistance because of her economic condition."

I really haven't read much about Fluke so maybe I'm off base here, but I don't consider it that bad of policy to give poor people assistance with birth control. The last thing I really want is to have a bunch of poor people with their ugly poor faces having kids I have to deal with in the future. :shrug:

Wouldn't it just be cheaper to keep some of these people from having kids in the first place?

I really haven't read much about Fluke so maybe I'm off base here, but I don't consider it that bad of policy to give poor people assistance with birth control. The last thing I really want is to have a bunch of poor people with their ugly poor faces having kids I have to deal with in the future. :shrug:

You are assuming the poor are responsible enough to follow through and actually use the birth control consistently. I say sterilize 'em. Boom, poverty eliminated in one generation. I'm Mitt Romney and I approve this message.

You are assuming the poor are responsible enough to follow through and actually use the birth control consistently. I say sterilize 'em. Boom, poverty eliminated in one generation. I'm Mitt Romney and I approve this message.

Hmm... You make a good point. Maybe only approve of the implant or whatever so it's not a pill they have to take. :thinking:

ZOMOG the republicans are coming for your ladyparts!

I think we should require every employer to buy every employee a gun. Otherwise, I'm being denied the right to bear arms.

the real problem with this stoopid schit is the idiotic economics of it. they're not just requiring employers to provide free birth control, but whatever free birth control the person wants. so not just the cheap, generic versions of the pill, but any other new thing that's out there. and of course, if it's free to them regardless, there is zero incentive to choose the most cost-effective solution. little wonder why big spam is so giddy over this. tell me again how obamacare is going to reign in health care costs? :lol:

if they really wanted to make birth control more accessible for younger women, just de-regulate the pill, sell it OTC, or just require a pharmacist consultation rather than a prescription from a Doc.

Agreed. I also have no problem with insurance paying for birth control when insurance pays for boner pills.

The "religious freedom" argument doesn't resonate with me either. You don't like birth control? Fine, don't use it. But we all pay for things we don't use or approve of when it comes to stuff like this. It's unavoidable reality when large numbers of people pool resources.

if they really wanted to make birth control more accessible for younger women, just de-regulate the pill, sell it OTC, or just require a pharmacist consultation rather than a prescription from a Doc.

pretty good op-ed making that very point

Unlike most medications, the article noted, birth-control pills require no medical diagnosis: “A woman herself determines her need for oral contraception; she assesses her own risk of pregnancy ... and the costs and benefits of both pregnancy and alternative contraceptions.” Nearly two decades later, birth- control pills look even safer than they did then, and recent research indicates that women are both able and eager to manage their own purchase decisions.

Requiring a prescription “acts more as a barrier to access rather than providing medically necessary supervision,” argues Daniel Grossman of Ibis Reproductive Health, a research and advocacy group based in Massachusetts, in an article published in September in Expert Review of Obstetrics & Gynecology.

Aside from safety, the biggest argument for keeping birth- control pills prescription-only is, to put it bluntly, extortion. The current arrangement forces women to go to the doctor at least once a year, usually submitting to a pelvic exam, if they want this extremely reliable form of contraception. That demand may suit doctors’ paternalist instincts and financial interests, but it doesn’t serve patients’ needs. As the 1993 article’s authors noted, the exam requirement “assumes that it would be worse for a woman’s health to miss out on routine care than it would be to miss out on taking oral contraceptives.”

Going to the doctor is costly in time, money and sometimes in dignity. Not surprisingly, the prescription requirement deters use of oral contraceptives. In a 2004 phone survey, 68 percent of American women said they would start the pill or another form of hormonal birth control, such as the patch, if they could buy it in a pharmacy with screening by a pharmacist instead of getting a doctor’s prescription. Two-thirds of blacks and slightly more than half of whites and Latinas surveyed said they chose their current, less-effective method of birth control because it didn’t require a prescription.

On a tangent... I want all of these republicans, christians and catholics (I know, I know...) to stand up and say: "We are against abortion and birthcontrol. If you abolish both, we will personally and collectively ban together and give each and every one of these children who are born to single mothers the financial means to have all of the advantages of a child that is born into more wealthy circumstances. We will personally and collectively assume all costs of prenatal care, birthing care, post natal care and monies to ensure that this child is raised in an environment equivalent to 140% of poverty until said child reaches the age of majority. Further, we will facilitate the child's maturation and socialization growth by either assigning a paid mentor or personally directing the child until he/she reaches the age of majority. We will also be legally responsible for said child's truancy or illegal and illicit activities that occur from said child not being properly supervised or socialized."

If they agree to ALL of these terms, then by all means, outlaw abortion and contraception. Until that point, they need to GUMMI BEAR.

On a tangent... I want all of these republicans, christians and catholics (I know, I know...) to stand up and say: "We are against abortion and birthcontrol. If you abolish both, we will personally and collectively ban together and give each and every one of these children who are born to single mothers the financial means to have all of the advantages of a child that is born into more wealthy circumstances. We will personally and collectively assume all costs of prenatal care, birthing care, post natal care and monies to ensure that this child is raised in an environment equivalent to 140% of poverty until said child reaches the age of majority. Further, we will facilitate the child's maturation and socialization growth by either assigning a paid mentor or personally directing the child until he/she reaches the age of majority. We will also be legally responsible for said child's truancy or illegal and illicit activities that occur from said child not being properly supervised or socialized."

If they agree to ALL of these terms, then by all means, outlaw abortion and contraception. Until that point, they need to GUMMI BEAR.

I know you're being sarcastic but that's an argument point I've used before with the anti-sex brigade. They're all gooey eyed about the child........until it's born, then it's a welfare queen's brat.

Exactly.

That's why I'm not even going to bother with the merits of birth control and healthcare mandates, because all this is is the demand-du-jour, continuing the now-proud American tradition of "well, if he/she gets X, then I'm entitled to X,Y and Z sounds pretty nice too"...

And of course the prices only go up with these things subsidized, because the government and lobbyists don't care about getting the best deal with our tax dollars and debt, the companies of course don't care, and in cases like this most consumers don't care because hey, it's "free".

In that regard, I'm actually a bit ashamed about how the HOPE scholarship I went on has only contributed to rising GA tuition to where it can't cover it all in many cases anymore , but hey, who doesn't like being entitled to all this "free" stuff?

And of course the prices only go up with these things subsidized, because the government and lobbyists don't care about getting the best deal with our tax dollars and debt, the companies of course don't care, and in cases like this most consumers don't care because hey, it's "free".

exactly. make it "free" for the recipient, that raises demand; then maintain a costly barrier to entry (consultation with a doc), which adds cost and restricts supply...yeah sounds like a brilliant way to reduce costs.

Exactly.

That's why I'm not even going to bother with the merits of birth control and healthcare mandates, because all this is is the demand-du-jour, continuing the now-proud American tradition of "well, if he/she gets X, then I'm entitled to X,Y and Z sounds pretty nice too"...

In that regard, I'm actually a bit ashamed about how the HOPE scholarship I went on has only contributed to rising GA tuition to where it can't cover it all in many cases anymore , but hey, who doesn't like being entitled to all this "free" stuff?

Liberals