[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dog Behavior Problem

Scorcher

We rescued a 14 pound 3yr old dog that looks a lot like a beagle. In every regard he looks and acts like a puppy. The only thing adult about him is that he is house trained. He is not responding to training or any attempts to modify his behavior. We have had him for 2 weeks now. We called the shelter to see if we could find any history on him. He came in as a stray and it was evident he had not had too much human contact. He is not very responsive when called. We have had him for 2 weeks now. We have given him a name to which he rarely responds. At night we put him in a crate and he barks for about an hour or so, how long should this behavior last before he accepts the crate? We seriously wonder if he has had any trauma in his life that inhibits his ability to learn.He is our 4th rescue. My wife is ready to take him back out of frustration. We don't want to, we decided if it comes to that we will foster him until we can find him a good home. We will also be more forthcoming that the shelter was to us. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we can do. He obviously was a ferrel dog. Best case scenario is that he comes around and fits in.I work out of home and have time to try things with him. My wife works different hours and weekends. He wakes her up sometimes very early in the morning. I know tthis is a little rambling and I apologize. I would appreciate any input. Despite his behavior he is very happy to have a home.

Edited by Scorcher

Dogs don't naturally acclimate to crates, they have to learn to like them. Give him a stuffed Kong when you put him in. Does he really need to be in a crate? Here is my handout on crate training: http://www.pawsitiveexperience.com/Pawsitive_Experience/Training_Tips_files/Crate%20Training.pdf Here are all of my training handouts http://www.pawsitiveexperience.com/Pawsitive_Experience/Training_Tips.html

You will need to get him into a class or see a private trainer who teaches positive reinforcement training, so he learns how to respond to you. PM me if you want me to find one in your area.

Patience grasshoppa. IMO you're expecting way too much way too quickly. The dog's been through God knows what and you're upset that he isn't fully trained in a couple weeks? ?? Be happy he's doing as well as he is. Our dog was abused by it's first owner and although surprisingly well-behaved and sweet, it took months before he was even comfortable sleeping in one particular spot or allowed us to pick him up. And years later he still occasionally overreacts if you scold him, as if you're going to beat the crap out of him, even though neither of us ever so much as laid a finger on him (although I would dearly love to do so with his first owner). Frankly given what you've said I'm amazed he doesn't howl all night long in that crate.

Edited by BeeR

I think as long as he doesn't have an aggressive personality you can work and fix these issues. We rescued a dog about a year ago and had to the shelter because of aggression issues. My wife is now preggers so we can't get another dog until we know for sure our baby is not allergic but we will sooner or later.

Dogs that are rescued demand more patiance and attention then puppies who were properly socialized IMO

Mount him from behind and press him to the ground with your pelvis.

Also, I've had beagles and Bassets, both were incredibly difficult to house break compared to other dogs I've had. They are stubborn sumbitches.

The advice and articles I got from Sugar Magnolia made a huge difference! He is just about good to go on the crate. I also have a red tick beagle that is an awesome dog! He was a rescue and already house trained. His biggest issue when getting acclimated was passing gas! Thankfully that issue is in the past. We had to give him medicine in the beginning. A big thanks to Sugar Magnolia! Her help made all the difference.

My dog just seems confused and agitated when I do this.

He's too young at this point. Go back to your thread and re-read my post. The parameters seemed pretty clear.