[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone gotta problem with this?

SEC=UGA

i don't know this situation and I've never had my oldest (4yo) do something bad enough to be in this situation, but I'm guessing that I'd rather have my kid handcuffed than having a cop put both hands on my boy's shoulders cuz it seems like that is one step further down the path to a serious mistake.

Especially if they were standing behind him.

It woulda been funnier if a preist had been mentioned somewhere in the story...

Fu(k off.

So no answers, just criticism.

A couple of questions, and remember, he who sees and knows all is watching. That's right, Big Jhn is never far away.

Do you have children?

Do you have a profession that requires controlling people?

:shrug: I'm not even sure what you're talking about. You've chosen not to read, apparently.

A police officer should be able to find a way to deal with a six-year old besides handcuffing. That's my opinion. And it has nothing to do with the fact I don't have kids, or if my professional life involves controlling people in ways where I don't get to put restraints on them. If you want to somehow make it so my opinion is invalid because of either of these circumstances, I'm not sure what that goes to prove. Maybe it goes to prove that you're right about everything.

I guess, it goes to show that if a police officer handcuffed one of your six-year old children, you wouldn't have a problem with it. So, we'll go ahead and chalk that up to a difference of opinion about what we expect out of our officers of the law.

:shrug: I'm not even sure what you're talking about. You've chosen not to read, apparently.

A police officer should be able to find a way to deal with a six-year old besides handcuffing. That's my opinion. And it has nothing to do with the fact I don't have kids, or if my professional life involves controlling people in ways where I don't get to put restraints on them. If you want to somehow make it so my opinion is invalid because of either of these circumstances, I'm not sure what that goes to prove. Maybe it goes to prove that you're right about everything.

I guess, it goes to show that if a police officer handcuffed one of your six-year old children, you wouldn't have a problem with it. So, we'll go ahead and chalk that up to a difference of opinion about what we expect out of our officers of the law.

I don't think anyone who wasn't there is qualified to weigh in on whether the cop acted appropriately or not. But if the child was truly going bonkers and was uncontrollable, it would seem that handcuffing her would be a safe and effective way to prevent her from harming not only others but herself too.

That's jumping to a far away conclusion.

I don't have kids either, but have seen quite a few of them getting wild and unruly, including some of my own nephews.

You seem to think that all kids will respond properly to somebody in authority, raising their voice and talking them sternly to control them. That isn't the reality when dealing with some kids who are allowed to act like wild animals by their parents. So when the child doesn't cooperate, doesn't stop throwing things, and trying to hit people, what do you think the adults (school workers or cops should do)? Just stand there? Let them try to hurt themselves or others? Physically restrain them themselves (possibly getting bit or kicked in the nuts)?

Me personally I'd look for a cold tub of water to throw them into, hose them off, or tie them down. I think handcuffs where not a big deal. Those who are outraged are mostly the parents (who are responsible for the child's behavior) and people who think that all children are innocent little angels that obey authority figures and don't act like little punks.

If you're a parent who has raised your child so poorly that they won't respond to being told by someone in a position of authority (a teacher, a school official, or a cop) to stop throwing things and go "into timeout" or whatever the hell you want to call it, at very least once they've made it abundantly clear that they're serious (in other words, even giving the kid a little latitude for pushing the envelope and not being a total angel), then I couldn't really give two craps about how you feel about a cop putting your kid in cuffs.

And, again, I'm operating under the assumption that the teacher/cop did actually "sternly" tell the child to chill the hell out before they tackled and cuffed her. Perhaps that is not the case.

This is your response, that I have chosen not to read, or that I feel I am right about everything?

You had criticism or cutting sarcasm for others while offering nothing of substance on the subject. You sniped at others and suggested they offer potential solutions while having none yourself even when being invited to offer options multiple times. You opined on a subject upon which you have no experience or exposure and now you snipe some more .

The fact is your opinion is invalid, though you have a right to it.

• Like 1

This is your response, that I have chosen not to read, or that I feel I am right about everything?

There were already six responses to the post you referred to. You proceed to ask questions that I assumed (correctly, apparently) were an attempt to put a qualification based on your criteria whether I am worthy to have an opinion. I'm just going with the appearance of what you're giving me here.

There were already six responses to the post you referred to. You proceed to ask questions that I assumed (correctly, apparently) were an attempt to put a qualification based on your criteria whether I am worthy to have an opinion. I'm just going with the appearance of what you're giving me here.

I think all we are asking is this:

Having failed to subdue the child through "normal" methods, raising of one's voice, threatening reprimand, etc... what do you suggest one do to quell the riotous behavior exhibited by an out of control child?

Do you honestly believe that there is less likelihood of injury when an adult physically restrains a thrashing child, whether it be pinning them to the floor, restraining them by their arms, or grabbing them by their shoulders?

Keep in mind, that there have been a rash of lawsuits against teachers and school systems for teachers physically subduing a child. It is also my understanding, here in GA, that teachers are instructed to not physically handle children out of fear for the safety of all parties involved as well as the looming spectre of legal action by the parents.

I do recall an interesting story I was told by a freind of mine's father, who upon retiring from the police force, began working for the County as a school police officer.

There was a fight at the high school that he was supervising. The principal went over and tried to break up the fight. One of the fighters started pushing the principal who had broken up the fight. My friend's dad came over and grabbed hold of the kid who immediately complied. While talking with the kid, he questioned why he was pushing around the principal, to which the kide stated that he knew the principal can't do anything to him. The kid stated he stopped when the officers got there because, in the kid's words, "but you guys can beat my ass."

That is the state of schools and teacher's ability to discipline/confront students.

As to the handcuffing, short of actually strongly, physically restraining the girl, this was the best option.

• Like 1

Though I am apparently reading challenged I would note that comments that in no way address the question but seek rather to redirect matters are not responses. They are in fact what the law calls nonresponsive.

This is simple. You suggested that anybody who gives the matter any thought could come up, in an instance, with a better response than handcuffing the child. You implied that you could so why don't others do so as well. You clearly put forth by unmistakable implicationthat this was an easy matter to address, that the cops were stupid for not having a better approach, that others here that differed from your opinion are stupid if they lack the immagination to come up with a better approach, and that you, of course had devined the appropriate approach already. When asked what your action plan would be by me and others you had no answer. When pressed on that you choose to try to denigrate me for pressing you to be responsive to your own words. You continue to evade because you clearly have no answer. I initially implied you were doing this because you lacked the insight that experience teaches and then I stated that directly when my obvious surmise proved correct.

You might save face here if you just concede that your challenge to others was ill-considered. You could smply say you have a right to your opinion but it was a mistake to imply others are somehow intellectually lacking if they could not supply support for your opinion.

The answer is so simple, I'm surprised no one has come with it until now. Tranquilizer dart!!!

While she's down can we go ahead and sterilize her?

You might save face here if you just concede that your challenge to others was ill-considered. You could smply say you have a right to your opinion but it was a mistake to imply others are somehow intellectually lacking if they could not supply support for your opinion.

I'm sorry I challenged your intellect.

I think all we are asking is this:

Having failed to subdue the child through "normal" methods, raising of one's voice, threatening reprimand, etc... what do you suggest one do to quell the riotous behavior exhibited by an out of control child?

The girl was in a principal's office crying when the cop got there, so there was some means of getting her that far. My suggestion for quelling the riotous behavior exhibited by an out of control six-year old girl has been simply to not use the handcuffs of a police officer.

My assumption has been that there are numerous means of doing this that don't involve using restraining devices, and that this is a very extreme circumstance. However, I am understanding now that this is not the case, and my inexperience in raising six-year olds and having not worked in law enforcement preclude me from having any valid opinion on the matter.

The girl was in a principal's office crying when the cop got there, so there was some means of getting her that far. My suggestion for quelling the riotous behavior exhibited by an out of control six-year old girl has been simply to not use the handcuffs of a police officer.

My assumption has been that there are numerous means of doing this that don't involve using restraining devices, and that this is a very extreme circumstance. However, I am understanding now that this is not the case, and my inexperience in raising six-year olds and having not worked in law enforcement preclude me from having any valid opinion on the matter.

Getting a little embarrassing now chief.