[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

First Pearl Harbor, then 911, and now this

SayItAintSoJoe

Yes, they have warts just like the GOP and yes I have recognized the fact that you have stated the Dems are not up to cuts... BUT that bill is not only a tax increase on the 1% ,that bill has a whole bunch of "attachments"....like the fact that Obama wants to allow students to write off their student loans in bankruptcy....but wait ... wow that seems so noble...lets role back to the 1970s crises...oh but...sorry he is just talking of proposing it ONLY for private student loans....which literally makes up about 2% of the student loans. The US government NOW pretty much controls that space and he isnt talking about government student loans.... WHY..... I mean why signal out the absolute sliver of those student loans??? It might be a bit more meaningful if he included all student loans... get it.

honestly i hate going at this in a dramatic fashion but you just wanted to ignore the fact that it is just a tax increase on the top 1%.

No, I am not ignoring the fact that its a tax increase on the top 1%. I'm in it. And I don't have a problem with student loans being dischargeable in bankruptcy. Given a choice I'd rather bailout people than banks. Edited by yo mama

That is great that you are ok with student loans being able to be discharged, but do remember the problems in the 1970's? Also are you ok with it just being private student loans?... Why not include government student loans which makes up the majority of student loans?

That is great that you are ok with student loans being able to be discharged, but do remember the problems in the 1970's? Also are you ok with it just being private student loans?... Why not include government student loans which makes up the majority of student loans?

Both. The point of bankruptcy is to give someone a fresh start and let them get out from under their debts.

• Like 1

Bankruptcy sucks, but at least it lets people start over. What would be the point of letting people discharge all debts except student loans?

A do over... thats great. Perhaps the point is they get to keep the asset the rest of their life no matter what. It is a pretty unique debt.... BUT great...It does not mean much to banks whether or not SL's are dischargeable. All that means is the responsible borrower pays more. Thats America. You F up and the other person pays for it. My MUCH bigger point is Obama is just singling out private student loans. Is that not a TWINKIES ANYONE moment to you?

Edited by Grimm74

A do over... thats great. Perhaps the point is they get to keep the asset the rest of their life no matter what. It is a pretty unique debt.... BUT great...It does not mean much to banks whether or not SL's are dischargeable. All that means is the responsible borrower pays more. Thats America. You F up and the other person pays for it. My MUCH bigger point is Obama is just singling out private student loans. Is that not a TWINKIES ANYONE moment to you?

:shrug: Seems like a nonissue to me. Most debts are private and are nevertheless dischargeable in bankruptcy. I do not share your outrage.