[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How many leagues have "double-header" weeks? Opinions?

FishyCommish

I'm curious how many leagues' schedules include double-header weeks and what people's opinions are about them. Our league (in its 17th year now) has had double headers for the past 3 years. It has created some controversy and some strong opposition opinions within the owners.

In 2010 and 2011 it was 4 weeks out of 12 for a 16 game schedule. This allowed everyone to play each other once and everyone in your division twice. The DH's were weeks 2,5,8,11 so this put them equally spaced and 2 were within the bye weeks, and 2 were not. The first season there was opposition, but it was decided to give it another year and see how things went.

Now, in 2012 we did a structural reorganization that allowed everyone to play each other once and everyone in your division twice but only in 14 games. This was a concession to the opposition to DH's and allowed us only to have 2 DH weeks within our 12 week regular season. This along with the changes to the NFL's bye week scheduling allowed us to place the bye weeks at week 3 and 12 with both weeks outside of the bye week part of the schedule.

It is Monday after week 3 and I am starting to hear opposition again bitching about it, so I am just curious what other leagues do. Is it pretty much normal to use double-headers? How do you guys set it up?

Edited by FishyCommish

I do double-headers every week in the league I run and everyone seems to really like it. I've personally never understood doing them only on certain weeks.

This opens up major variation / volatility. Where as one players performance affects two different games. The distribution of performance is so widespread, I think it opens room to more luck.

Owners in our league can set two completely different lineups if they wish.

We have one DH week each season to allow all teams to play each other (12 teams three divisions, with division rivals playing each other twice, and everyone else once). This year, I think I put it in week 12 (first week after byes are done for the year).

We have the same set up except we go with week 3 since typically injuries are less of a factor and you're getting to play the guys you drafted as opposed to half a new roster by week 12.

This opens up major variation / volatility. Where as one players performance affects two different games. The distribution of performance is so widespread, I think it opens room to more luck.

Right - unless you're going to do it every week (which has the opposite effect), it just exacerbates the luck problems inherent in fantasy football in general.

But you are starting the same people, typically, right?. You aren't starting your bench to spread yourself, unless you like giving up positive deviation!

I bet the guy who had J.Charles is loving that format!

Most often they start the same lineups. We have a 20-player roster in this league. Sometimes the owners will switch a player or two if they are unsure about their outlook for the week and do not want to get burned x2.

So I understand the philosophy of all weeks or none at all, because that is the main argument of our opposition. The imbalance of the importance of just those weeks is the basis of the resistance. But there aren't more leagues that do just a few weeks? I'm surprised, but then again that's why I wanted this feedback, to see if we were in the minority..

TOCOL has 2 conferences/14 teams and we play double headers on non-bye weeks. Works out perfectly in that the double headers are conference games and standings can change quickly, and teams are at full strength for conference games. But we also get to play all conference opponents twice and noncoference opponents once for a 19 game schedule, which is great, and it helps with tiebreakers come playoff time.

Doubleheaders every week. Love it.

We do have a payout as well for best "all play" record (ie the record you'd have if you played everyone every week.) I'm actually trying to talk the league into going to this format as to me, this is the very truest indication where your team stacks up against the rest of the league.