[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Playing with Flex Positions...what is your thought?

archiebonker

I'm trying to open up our league a bit. We went from 16 to 14 teams last season, mostly due to lack of options on the waiver wire. I implemented a blind bid waiver rule with First Come Waivers after the winning bid players were handed out.

It worked great. But now I would like to lower the amount of players on the bench and thought I should add one or two flex positions into the mix and maybe get back two more teams in the league. (if it works that is)

Do any of you guys play with flex positions and what are your starting lineup position totals? Like to hear some of your suggestions.

2012 Lineups - 1 QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1K 1Def - 6 bench

2013 Lineups - ??????????????????????? (might shorten the bench)

On the topic of, ahem, FLEX, positions, however. My league uses multiple formations as follows:

1-3 RBs

1-4 WRs

1-2 TEs

Important to note we have .33 PPR in our scoring. Here is the overal composition:

Maximum Starters per team:

Position Minimum Maximum

Quarterback 1........1

Running Back 1........3

Wide Receiver 1........4

Tight End 1..........2

Kicker 1..........1

Defense/ST 1...........1

Edited by CowboysDiehard

Hmmmm, I kind of like that. That might help open up options in Waiver choices and make things alittle less stressful for guys picking up guys. What is your point system and is .33 right across the board?

We made TE's a bit higher on the PPR then RB's and WR's. It worked well. But, now seeing TE's getting more and more action. It might work to have the same number across the board.

ya, I'm trying to open up the waiver options and maybe make easier to put in lineups with a shorter bench. I would like to get back to a 16 team league if I can. But not unless I can make it easier for guys to put in lineups and be able to pick up waiver picks, even if I did put in a blind bid waiver option.

I think I might push for that other option from Cowboys there.....wonder if my league would go for it. But we would still have 9 starters , except there would more options of putting in a full lineup each week.

Cowboy.....what is your point system?

A side note about flex positions - they KILL the ability to trade. If your league has a decent amount of owner activity and you want to keep that, don't flex. When you do, all of a sudden the fact that someone has only one good RB isn't quite such a deficit as they can always grab a hot TE of the week or a WR with a nice matchup to fill in. This is exacerbated by the fact that the guy with the surplus can now just play that surplus - why trade a nice WR4 for a RB3 you don't really like when you can just start him over the crappy RB3 you already have? Effectively, they all become one big position and all you have is QB/Flex/DEF/K spots.

Our league is actually talking about scaling back the flex a tad for this reason.

That's a good point flemingd....never thought about that. So how many Flexes do you guys have now and what would you recommend?

It's not like there is alot of trading going on. I've tried everything to get guys to start doing that more often. But I get more complaints that members aren't writing back to trade offers.

We require 1 RB 3 WR and 1 TE plus a RB/WR/TE flex. We were originally 1 RB 2 WR + 1 flex from the old days of RB dominance, and added the extra WR two years ago and expanded flex to include TE last year. Truth be told, with the state of the passing game now as opposed to ten years ago when we did our revisions, a much better balance is probably 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, and one WR/TE flex. I haven't done my modeling yet, will do that early June, but it's likely that's where we'll end up from casual conversations and observations.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I've put the vote out about what we would like to do in our league. Seems like most like to try it, but I like to hear more advice from you guys on the Flex positions subject. I was leaning towards what "Cowboys Diehard" with the min and max for each position.

Has anyone else done this and how was it? Any other suggestions?

Depends on how willing your league is to accept change. If changes don't get approved easily may be simpler to change one of the WR slot to flex (RB/WR/TE) and start there. Then in a year or two see about allowing more flexible spots.

I interpret Cowboy's Diehard of

Running Back 1........3

Wide Receiver 1........4

Tight End 1..........2

to this

fixed spots RB-1, WR-1, TE-1

flex 1 WR/TE

flex 2 RB/WR

flex 3 RB/WR

you can only use 1WR if you 3RB & 2 TE

Ya, thought about that. But changing one position into a Flex wouldn't change the problem of less talent in the waiver pool and I think there would be more RB's being taken....which is already thin. But I might do that if we stay at 14 teams this year. I was thinking of increasing it to 16 if we went the other way.