[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Week 1 Surprise Starters

BA Baracus

Last year, we found out on Sunday morning that Alfred Morris was named the starting RB for the Washington Redskins. Anyone who grabbed him as a FA based on that news was very happy indeed.

Personally, I wasn't paying much attention to the Washington RB battle because I had written it off to Shanahannigans. :bash:

This begs the question: What position battles remain unsettled where the victor is likely to make a fantasy impact?

I am thinking that the starting RB in AZ is still open and that the potential for a game day surprise exists. Maybe the OAK QB situation as well. These are both offenses that will struggle, so the value will be limited. Anybody else have any foresight on this?

These are both offenses that will struggle, so the value will be limited.

I feel like you answered your own question here. I took Mendy with a late mid round pick as a guy that might get 20 touches a game, but I don't think any RB short of Barry Sanders would be in a good situation in AZ.

He's a starting RB for a week or two (and even then, "starting" doesn't mean much when there will be a rotation of two or three guys doing the job of one); after that he's just another backup that will rarely touch the ball.

Edited by Axe Elf

What position battles remain unsettled where the victor is likely to make a fantasy impact?

By bringing up the Alfred Morris scenario, it seemed that he was talking about position battles that could be settled in Week 1, where the victor would likely have a fantasy impact for the season.

The news today suggests Bilal Powell fits the bill....well, at least the surprise starter part: he was supposed to share with the starter Ivory.

Now, whether or not he can produce in that offense, or is just part of a frustrating time share, remains to be seen.

Word out of Denver is that Moreno may get the bulk of the playing time this week. To be honest, I think the guy who plays the most will be whoever can pass protect the best - you can't play with Peyton if you can't pick up the blitz. So if that's Moreno, then he'll get the playing time.

This>

Word out of Denver is that Moreno may get the bulk of the playing time this week. To be honest, I think the guy who plays the most will be whoever can pass protect the best - you can't play with Peyton if you can't pick up the blitz. So if that's Moreno, then he'll get the playing time.

Some were surprised Jordy Nelson is too.

There really isn't another Alfred Morris scenario this year because there is only one Shanahan. It was literally anyone's guess going into the season last year what would happen. I don't see anything like that anywhere this year. That being said, I like Lamar Miller this year to assert himself, though the competition with Daniel Thomas may have been less about real competition and more about lighting a fire under Miller. Still, that battle has come across as down to the wire...

Out of all the DEN backs, I prefer Moreno, mostly because he is the cheapest guy on draft day. He was a very nice WW pickup last year and hauled a lot of teams into the playoffs.

Joe Flacco. The Broncos DST is hella overrated this year. No Elvis or Von Miller. Where is the pass rush going to come from?

How is Flacco a surprise week 1 starter? He could produce better than some expected if the DEN D isn't as good, but that's hardly a surprise.

I don't think there is a Morris (AlaMo) this year. There are some interesting situations to watch, including starting RB for several teams (ARI, MIA, PIT, DEN). Browns could be interesting too as they brought in a couple of RBs to compete for backup duty, since the backups they were counting on got hurt or didn't pan out. I think the first few weeks Ogbannaya could be the guy, until the new guys can get familiar with the plays.