[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How are the Steelers still alive?

BA Baracus

Assume that the Pittsburgh win and that Miami, Baltimore, and San Diego all lose.

Here are the NFL tie breaking rules:

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

I would still think that the Dolphins get the last wildcard based on their superior conference record. What am I missing? It looks to me that the Steelers should already be eliminated.

Miami is the only team mentioned that controls their own destiny , win and they are in

I do not see Miami losing to the JETS in Miami after the last meeting in NY

Miami rolls this weekend , but that is why the play the games

The first thing the Steelers will need to do is beat the Cleveland Browns. That shouldn't be a problem, but then they are also going to have to hope for the Ravens, Dolphins and Chargers to all lose their games

I figured it out...

It's that first rule. When there are multiple teams from the same division vying for a WC spot, the tie is broken between those teams in the division first and only one of them makes the tied pool of teams at the conference level. If the Jets beat the Dolphins, the Jets will have the tie-breaker on division record. Under the scenario I assumed above, the tied teams at the conference level for the last WC spot would be the Chargers, Steelers, and Jets, with the Steelers having the superior conference record and thus taking the #6 seed.

not so fast my friend

I believe they need a Ravens loss or Chargers win also

oops

Miami Dolphins (8-7) would clinch with:

• A win plus either a loss by Baltimore or win by San Diego.

• A tie plus losses by Baltimore and San Diego.

Not one of the quartet in the hunt fully controls its own destiny — a bizarre twist added by the NFL’s tiebreaker scenarios. Miami currently holds the edge on Baltimore because San Diego, a winner Sunday, created a three-team tie at 8-7. In that scenario, the Ravens’ win over Miami is canceled out by Miami’s win over San Diego, pushing the conference-record tiebreaker to the forefront. The Dolphins hold that edge on both the Ravens and Chargers.

:clap: for BA and MOBD, both are spot on.

BA - Breaking the ties within division first is something that is often overlooked.

MOBD - yep all of those 4 teams need some help to get in. When I first heard that it was rather confusing. The playoff machine at ESPN makes it easier to see. Basically if BAL wins MIA need SD to win also to force a 3 way tie (which uses different tie breakers). If BAL wins they need MIA or SD to lose to avoid the 3 way tie. And if SD wins they need both BAL/MIA to lose. PIT gets in with a win and all 3 (BAL, MIA, SD) lose. Not figuring ties, they basically do the same as a loss in most scenarios.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

Miami is the only team mentioned that controls their own destiny , win and they are in

I do not see Miami losing to the JETS in Miami after the last meeting in NY

Miami rolls this weekend , but that is why the play the games

The first thing the Steelers will need to do is beat the Cleveland Browns. That shouldn't be a problem, but then they are also going to have to hope for the Ravens, Dolphins and Chargers to all lose their games

Miami doesn't control their own destiny. If the Ravens win and Miami wins, and SD loses, the Ravens are in. If all three win then Miami is in. If Miami wins and Ravens lose they are in...but they don't control their own destiny...they like many others...need help.

Miami doesn't control their own destiny. If the Ravens win and Miami wins, and SD loses, the Ravens are in. If all three win then Miami is in. If Miami wins and Ravens lose they are in...but they don't control their own destiny...they like many others...need help.

He corrected that statement 2 posts after. :wink: