[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

integrity question

risethewake

So the current standings of the 4 playoff contender teams are 9-2(me), 7-4, team one 6-5, and team two 6-5. The teams on the bubble are team three 6-5, and 5-6. My last two regular season games are against team two and three 6-5. They in my opinion are easier matchups than the 7-4 and team one 6-5. Is it shady to tank my games against team two and three to give them a playoff push and give me easier playoff matchups, or is that strategy too underhanded?

Yes you would be ruining the integrity of the league.

I disagree. If you've put yourself in position to be in the playoffs this early and you can determine your matchups without colluding with other players, then you should do it.

A league's integrity is based on the assumption that every team does what is best for itself at all times: if you can knock out another strong team by losing, then that (supposedly strong) team has put itself in position to lose to begin with.

You have to do the best thing for YOUR TEAM. Not the league, not your opponents, and not your potential opponents.

Failing to do the best thing for your team's success is compromising the integrity of the league.

Edited by bpr103
  • Like 1

I disagree. If you've put yourself in position to be in the playoffs this early and you can determine your matchups without colluding with other players, then you should do it.

A league's integrity is based on the assumption that every team does what is best for itself at all times: if you can knock out another strong team by losing, then that (supposedly strong) team has put itself in position to lose to begin with.

You have to do the best thing for YOUR TEAM. Not the league, not your opponents, and not your potential opponents.

Failing to do the best thing for your team's success is compromising the integrity of the league.

Very well said, I feel much more comfortable with the idea now, it is about my team. This isn't Candy Land, this is football. Strategic, and without mercy. There are no trophies for every team, only one team.

• Like 1

So, I'm not seeing it. How would that give you a better play off lineup? You tank 2, say #2 wins out you're both 9-4. I presume you beat him already, so won't you still be in 1st place playing 4th place the 1st round anyways? I'm sorry, I think I'm missing something...

How can you tank without everyone else knowing it? Regardless of your intentions its still a crap shoot. You can be the 1st place team with a superior lineup and lose your first playoff game against anyone. It's happened to me countless times.

Edited by Finn5033

I've wondered about this strategy myself. The goal of FF is to win the championship, right? Not necessarily each week, but the whole thing. If you see a team on the bubble that has a stud lineup that is really gaining steam and you're already in the playoffs, can you really be seen as w/o integrity by not going for a single week victory over another bubble opponent that you feel has the inferior lineup, and in the process popping the bubble of that better team?

Strategy is key when looking at a championship run and not just this week's matchup. As long as you are acting in concert with only yourself, I currently lean toward seeing this as an acceptable tactic.

And you still run the risk of angering the FF gods by doing so, you can and will lose to the "worst" team at any time

Edited by sksmith

I don't see any integrity issues with your decision, but beware the Fantasy Football gods. They can be fickle beings and smite you down in your matchups

• Like 2