[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Manning needs to retire...

awesomebench

Are you a professional (let alone Hall of Fame) caliber athlete? These dudes have access to all kinds of pain killers. Gates played damn near a whole season with plantar fasciitis.

Also, fwiw, they say the -itis is more painful than an actual tear.

True, didn't consider that. Pretty crazy that painkillers could make you able to play through plantar fascitis. I could barely put weight on my foot when I had it. Imagine you'd be pretty damn sluggish with that amount of painkillers though. Can't be good for his game all around.

True, didn't consider that. Pretty crazy that painkillers could make you able to play through plantar fascitis. I could barely put weight on my foot when I had it. Imagine you'd be pretty damn sluggish with that amount of painkillers though. Can't be good for his game all around.

Yep, they have some serious cocktails of pain management. It's a joke they ban certain substances because the stuff they give the players to keep them on the field is far more powerful then anything they can get outside of the locker room. Remember the speech Nick Nolte gave in North Dallas Forty?

"You're coming down on me for smoking grass, hell you give me harder $hit then that to keep me on the field each week".......

I remember when Rivers started and finished that playoff game with a torn ACL. Now I have torn both my ACL's and there is NO way, let me say that again, NO WAY, I could have walked across the room on the stuff they gave me let alone play a football game. How he did that was beyond comprehension. What they shot that knee up with had to be something so powerful it's mind boggling.

Edited by Cowboyz1

Yep, they have some serious cocktails of pain management. It's a joke they ban certain substances because the stuff they give the players to keep them on the field is far more powerful then anything they can get outside of the locker room. Remember the speech Nick Nolte gave in North Dallas Forty?

"You're coming down on me for smoking grass, hell you give me harder $hit then that to keep me on the field each week".......

I remember when Rivers started and finished that playoff game with a torn ACL. Now I have torn both my ACL's and there is NO way, let me say that again, NO WAY, I could have walked across the room on the stuff they gave me let alone play a football game. How he did that was beyond comprehension. What they shot that knee up with had to be something so powerful it's mind boggling.

Nah, it's just cortisone, right? :whistle:

Speaking from someone who has run quite a bit (25 miles a week), he should be able get through plantar fasciitis. This is something different. If what they say is true he has ruptured plantar fascia, a more rarer condition and VERY PAINFUL. It could take up to 3 months to heal on its own. He might be done. :(

Understanding from what? Things he has actually or just the usual media speculation?

I still say a good part of the regression this year is Kubiak's offense and play calling. But now it seems the injuries may be a very large part as well. (Unless you're one of the people thinking its just an excuse to save his ego).

Probably mostly media speculation. But as far as what Manning himself has said regarding retirement, when asked last year before restructuring his contract was something to the effect of "when I feel like I'm not playing the game the way I want to be able to play it, and am no longer able to help a team win, I will retire." Sounds like I description of this season of you ask me. The broncos made it to 7-0 in spite of him not because of him. We can't pin the Indy loss just on Peyton. But the KC loss was pretty much all on him.

So Basicly you could say that he is no longer playing the way he wants to play, and is no longer helping the team win.

Probably mostly media speculation. But as far as what Manning himself has said regarding retirement, when asked last year before restructuring his contract was something to the effect of "when I feel like I'm not playing the game the way I want to be able to play it, and am no longer able to help a team win, I will retire." Sounds like I description of this season of you ask me. The broncos made it to 7-0 in spite of him not because of him. We can't pin the Indy loss just on Peyton. But the KC loss was pretty much all on him.

So Basicly you could say that he is no longer playing the way he wants to play, and is no longer helping the team win.

Fair enough. Just a lot of people these days interpret media speculation to be some kind of fact. Even him making that statement and now playing poorly doesn't mean he will retire. I could see it happening, but its far from a certainty. I bet if he doesn't retire, somebody will start saying he's pulling a Favre and saying he'd retire then not doing it, based on this kind of speculation.

Fair enough. Just a lot of people these days interpret media speculation to be some kind of fact. Even him making that statement and now playing poorly doesn't mean he will retire. I could see it happening, but its far from a certainty. I bet if he doesn't retire, somebody will start saying he's pulling a Favre and saying he'd retire then not doing it, based on this kind of speculation.

I agree there's no certainty he will retire based off one bad year. But watching him this year, EVERYTHING has just seemed off about him. And I think it's because he's not really in it physically or mentaly.

Physically: it's no longer up for debate, that arm has already retired and is just waiting for the rest of his body to join it in key west or some place. Also hes got a plethora of injuries.

Mentally: you can tell he is 100% over this Kubiak offense. He can't play or even practice the way he has for 17 years and you can tell from his press confrences that he's really not content with it. Also now he's got to wonder if he's about to lose his job to a prototypical Kubiak style QB.

Business: the broncos gave him a $4 million dollar paycut, And then they set him up for failure. They let his security blankets (Julius thomas and wes welker) walk. They dealt away 2 o-line starters. They hired a run first style coach with no proven RB on the roster. And they altered his whole system of preparation. He also has a no trade clause in the restructured deal so his options are Denver for another frustrating year or the couch.

• Like 1

I agree there's no certainty he will retire based off one bad year. But watching him this year, EVERYTHING has just seemed off about him. And I think it's because he's not really in it physically or mentaly.

Physically: it's no longer up for debate, that arm has already retired and is just waiting for the rest of his body to join it in key west or some place. Also hes got a plethora of injuries.

Mentally: you can tell he is 100% over this Kubiak offense. He can't play or even practice the way he has for 17 years and you can tell from his press confrences that he's really not content with it. Also now he's got to wonder if he's about to lose his job to a prototypical Kubiak style QB.

Business: the broncos gave him a $4 million dollar paycut, And then they set him up for failure. They let his security blankets (Julius thomas and wes welker) walk. They dealt away 2 o-line starters. They hired a run first style coach with no proven RB on the roster. And they altered his whole system of preparation. He also has a no trade clause in the restructured deal so his options are Denver for another frustrating year or the couch.

Good info, is that no trade clause really an absolute or that he has approval? I don't understand why any player would have a absolute no trade clause limiting their options.

I agree it seems like the Broncos set him up to fail, or if he wasn't 100% and adapting to Kubiak's offense they could at least push him out (get him to retire or cut him saying he can no longer play).