[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wow! Megatron's HUGE 2016 Cap #

the outlaw

$24M!!! Will he restructure, or be released? I could be wrong, but I just don't see any NFL team paying a 31 y/o position player (even one of Megatron's pedigree) that much against their cap...what does everyone else think?

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4153/calvin-johnson

P.S. - if he does go elsewhere, potential suitors?

Edited by the outlaw

Can you say restructured contract? This was a 7 year $113 million deal signed in 2012.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/calvin-johnson/

Not sure who has the right contract info, some of the numbers in the link I provided don't align with the contract details shown on Rotoworld.

Potential suitors, anybody that needs a good WR to help them win and is wiling to spend big $. I don't think that would include NE (not going to spend), SEA (can win without even decent WR), or PIT (stacked at WR). Maybe GB if Cobb/Nelson are not both back.

Can you say restructured contract? This was a 7 year $113 million deal signed in 2012.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/calvin-johnson/

Not sure who has the right contract info, some of the numbers in the link I provided don't align with the contract details shown on Rotoworld.

Potential suitors, anybody that needs a good WR to help them win and is wiling to spend big $. I don't think that would include NE (not going to spend), SEA (can win without even decent WR), or PIT (stacked at WR). Maybe GB if Cobb/Nelson are not both back.

Detroit is in trouble if they lose Calvin and Stafford. They may not have a winning season for a decade at least.

I think if Calvin does leave, the best spot for him would be Carolina. Not sure what their cap room looks like, but they could use him. Other teams with a big need would be Baltimore, Washington, San Francisco, and as much as I would hate it, Dallas.

Slightly off topic, but since Joe Johnson is the 2nd highest paid NBA player at $24,894,863, it will take a LOT for me to consider elite athletes as being overpaid! At least Megatron has done something for Detroit, a potential hall of famer and he has helped fill some of those seats in that stadium.

Slightly off topic, but since Joe Johnson is the 2nd highest paid NBA player at $24,894,863, it will take a LOT for me to consider elite athletes as being overpaid! At least Megatron has done something for Detroit, a potential hall of famer and he has helped fill some of those seats in that stadium.

Couldn't agree more. As a Lions fan, we need something to put butts in the seats and sell jerseys and generate revenue. I respect Calvin very much for coming out and saying he wants to stay a Lion, because he didn't have to say that. I love Stafford, but Calvin has been the face of the franchise. He obviously is on the downward side of the hill, but there are still far more #81 jerseys in the stands at Ford Field than the rest of the numbers combined. (I always sport my #20 throwback, but I'm old). Pay the man, and make sure he retires a Lion. What else do we have?

• Like 1

NBA contracts are insane, because there is less of a cap. Cavs are paying a backup PF Tristan Thompson something like $16.5M a year.

Couldn't agree more. As a Lions fan, we need something to put butts in the seats and sell jerseys and generate revenue. I respect Calvin very much for coming out and saying he wants to stay a Lion, because he didn't have to say that. I love Stafford, but Calvin has been the face of the franchise. He obviously is on the downward side of the hill, but there are still far more #81 jerseys in the stands at Ford Field than the rest of the numbers combined. (I always sport my #20 throwback, but I'm old). Pay the man, and make sure he retires a Lion. What else do we have?

Barney, Sims or are you one of the kids with the Sanders jersey?

NBA contracts are insane, because there is less of a cap. Cavs are paying a backup PF Tristan Thompson something like $16.5M a year.

True and obviously there are less players to pay, but my point is there are players like Joe Johnson who don't do a dam thing worthy of the money.

Regardless of his cap number, his base salary is $16 million and $9 million of that is guaranteed. $16 million isn't a crazy amount for an elite receiver. And since $9 million is guaranteed, cutting him would only save $7 million. Cutting or trading him would create a much greater cap number.

I'm certainly not a "cap whiz" and, based upon stevegrab's post, I'm not sure what the correct #s are, but was simply basing my OP on rotoworld's blurb, which says if they cut him in 2016 they'll take a $12.9M "dead money" cap hit instead of $7M, but again not sure if I'm reading and/or interpreting it correctly...also, not disputing the fact that he's an elite receiver at all, but he will be 31 y/o next season, which isn't as old by WR standards as it is by RB standards, but in the waning years, nonetheless...anyway, my guess is, if he's not willing to restructure, they'll either try to trade him or outright cut him before the deadline...as much as the Lions fans would love to see him stay, lets not kid ourselves, the NFL is first and foremost a business...it will be interesting to monitor this situation, though...

I'm certainly not a "cap whiz" and, based upon stevegrab's post, I'm not sure what the correct #s are, but was simply basing my OP on rotoworld's blurb, which says if they cut him in 2016 they'll take a $12.9M "dead money" cap hit instead of $7M, but again not sure if I'm reading and/or interpreting it correctly...also, not disputing the fact that he's an elite receiver at all, but he will be 31 y/o next season, which isn't as old by WR standards as it is by RB standards, but in the waning years, nonetheless...anyway, my guess is, if he's not willing to restructure, they'll either try to trade him or outright cut him before the deadline...as much as the Lions fans would love to see him stay, lets not kid ourselves, the NFL is first and foremost a business...it will be interesting to monitor this situation, though...

And a smart business move would be keeping him just to bring the fans in. He's the biggest star there since Barry Sanders. Not too many WRs are the face of a franchise. I'm actually struggling to think of another one besides Larry Fitz. His 1,500 yard seasons maybe behind him, but he still has a few 1200 seasons left in the tank. From a business and fan perspective, I hope they keep him.

• Like 1