[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ESPN/NFL.com STAT changes for Week 15

Oriole33

It seems that ESPN changed Denard Robinson's rushing stats to +13 yards on Dec.25th. That gave most teams an extra 2 points for their playoff game and changed the outcomes of many playoffs. In my league, it totally changed one team who is now in the Championship game. Before the change, they lost their semi-final game. Interesting that EsPN did that AFTER the Thursday OAK-SD game has been played for Week 16.

ESPN claims that they did so as a result of an NFL.com stat change. MY QUESTION IS: When did NFL.com change the stat and how long did it take ESPN to realize the change? ESPN claims (per phonecon) that "we don't have enough stat personnel to keep up with all the changes". Understandable, considering how low-budget ESPN is?! They must be barely eking out an existence on all those $$$billions.

I wonder how a commissioner should handle it

The deadline for stat corrections on espn fantasy leagues is the Saturday following the game in question...I'm sure such a late change is rare, but the availability of such has always been there

Thanks for the reply!

Didn't know that. Wow! That is a long period of leeway. Pretty sure that is enough to push the league out of ESPN onto another site for next year. I looked on NFL.com to see if I could find when the stats changed. Wondering if ESPN was prompt, and the delay was due to the NFL. Seems like such problems could be cleared up by Thursday at noon. Just glad I wasn't one of the 3 teams involved.

It seems that ESPN changed Denard Robinson's rushing stats to +13 yards on Dec.25th. That gave most teams an extra 2 points for their playoff game and changed the outcomes of many playoffs. In my league, it totally changed one team who is now in the Championship game. Before the change, they lost their semi-final game. Interesting that EsPN did that AFTER the Thursday OAK-SD game has been played for Week 16.

ESPN claims that they did so as a result of an NFL.com stat change. MY QUESTION IS: When did NFL.com change the stat and how long did it take ESPN to realize the change? ESPN claims (per phonecon) that "we don't have enough stat personnel to keep up with all the changes". Understandable, considering how low-budget ESPN is?! They must be barely eking out an existence on all those $$$billions.

I wonder how a commissioner should handle it

Yeah for how much you paid to host your league with them you'd expect, oh wait.

This isn't an ESPN problem. Official stats come from Elias Sports Bureau, and they have no official timeframe to finalize stat changes. I don't know what ESPN's options are, but MFL has an option to not automatically calculate stat changes when issued, giving commissioners the ability to set their own weekly deadline.

that sucks about the timing, most of my leagues have rules in place that allow stat changes till kick-off of the first game next week, i also have to add that i hate non-decimal scoring as you wrote that 13 yards added 2 points to the out-come

I agree. Decimal is better. It didn't change this particular outcome: 139.68-137.96 (135-134), but it might have. And ties suck.

Yeah for how much you paid to host your league with them you'd expect, oh wait.

This isn't an ESPN problem. Official stats come from Elias Sports Bureau, and they have no official timeframe to finalize stat changes. I don't know what ESPN's options are, but MFL has an option to not automatically calculate stat changes when issued, giving commissioners the ability to set their own weekly deadline.

Nope. They can actually issue a stat change weeks later. Leagues need a rule for when changes take effect vs don't.

Same thing occurred w/Yahoo! Received the following message on league's main page...

"The NFL is crediting Denard Robinson with a total of 41 rushing yards for his week 15 matchup. Since the first game of week 16 has begun, all matchups are considered final, and no further changes or stat corrections will be made. The commissioner of your league can edit the team points for your league’s matchups."

Same thing occurred w/Yahoo! Received the following message on league's main page...

"The NFL is crediting Denard Robinson with a total of 41 rushing yards for his week 15 matchup. Since the first game of week 16 has begun, all matchups are considered final, and no further changes or stat corrections will be made. The commissioner of your league can edit the team points for your league’s matchups."

RTSports won't change it either because the following week's games had already begun on Thursday. And that affects the $200,000 championship as well.

Every league should have a time cut off for Stat changes. Most leagues use Thursday since the next week's games will begin on Thursday night. Yahoo, RTSports for example. ESPN is the outlier allowing changes to go through up to Saturday. Frankly it makes no sense. What if the change had an effect on who were in the matchups on Thursday night in your league? What a mess. Thursday is the right way to do this IMO.