[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Typical ADP length calculation length?

gibbjaso

This may be a dumb question, but what is the typical length of time that ADP calculations are averaged over on most popular fantasy drafting sites (i.e., NFL, ESPN, YAHOO, etc.)?  I'm curious as to how it could affect my draft and my opponents choices.  For example, if Lamar Miller is ranked at an ADP of 25 (averaged over the course of X weeks of mock drafting) prior to my draft, and then all of a sudden something happens to drop his value (e.g., sprained ankle, new hype from another starter, disciplinary problems, etc.) to  an  ADP of 50 ONE WEEK PRIOR to my draft, what would this display as on my online fantasy drafting page?  For example, if ADP was calculated as an average of the past 2 months of draft picks, his ADP may only fall a few points (e.g., to 28 or 29); however, if the site calculates ADP solely based on the past week, his ADP would obviously drop immediately to 50.  How does this typically work?

This is from Fantasy Football Calculator's ADP page:

ADP: Average Draft Position (ADP) is a list of NFL players ordered by their average position taken in fantasy football drafts. The average value of their draft position is taken over a range of many drafts. Computer selections are filtered out, and only human selections are considered. Useful for fantasy draft preparation.

Data from 985 fantasy football mock drafts between August 5, 2017 and August 8, 2017

All drafts are 15 rounds in a snake fomat except for rookie drafts, which are 3 non-snake rounds.

I've used the page below for years to get ADP, and have seen several others like it that allow you to pick what kind of drafts are involved (mock or not) and what time frame to use. We draft after Labor Day (preseason is done) so I'm usually wanting to see only the most recent info.

https://fantasyfootballcalculator.com/adp

I think I used to get one from antsports.com as well but that link isn't showing an ADP page nor do I find one on their site.

The info provided on my fantasy league site (CBS) is usually not very useful, especially if I have a subscription for The Huddle.

Thanks for the responses guys. So it sounds like there are a couple good sites out there to get good ADP rankings from that I could benefit from ahead of time. With regard to the specific ADP displayed (on draft day during online drafts) on websites like ESPN.com, CBS.com, and NFL.com (I'll be using ESPN.com and NFL.com this year), does anyone know how far back these specific sites calculate their ADP? I know each site is different, but knowing the timeline of their ADP calculations could help me out-strategize opponents who are basing some of their calculations off of the immediately observable ADP displayed on the draft page on draft day. For example, if Lamar Miller got injured, Alfred Blue's ADP would drastically improve; however, if this occurred several days before my draft, this may not be evidenced on my site's ADP rankings (depending on the length of time their calculations cover), thus potentially allowing me to put off drafting him for a round or two, something I could not do if his ADP was accurately reflected.

Kind of a complex question, just trying to strategize as effectively as I can.

I really think you're relying way too much on ADPs.  Each site's ADP's are different because each site has different player rankings.  Too many people draft strictly based on a sites ADP even though they may feel another player is better.

I think it's a much better idea to find a site that has player projections that you agree with then apply your league's scoring to those stats.  This will give you the most accurate list of players for your specific draft and also allows you to take advantage of the guys who just like to follow the website's ADP list.

• Like 2

or, put in your league scoring into a site, I don't know, say, thehuddle.com and have it spit out a customized cheat sheet for you...

You want the software to make your picks for you too?

If you know someone's hurt, bump up their replacement in your own rankings.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I really think you're relying way too much on ADPs.  Each site's ADP's are different because each site has different player rankings.  Too many people draft strictly based on a sites ADP even though they may feel another player is better.

I think it's a much better idea to find a site that has player projections that you agree with then apply your league's scoring to those stats.  This will give you the most accurate list of players for your specific draft and also allows you to take advantage of the guys who just like to follow the website's ADP list.

While I agree with this, it is important to be aware of ADP data so you can spot where you are likely to get value and what players you feel are being overvalued in drafts. If you know several owners are going to go off of ADP data, you can leverage that to your advantage so you can identify players you want that you can likely afford to wait on a little bit, and those that you may have to take a little earlier if you want them.

ADP data is just another tool to add to the toolbelt. It should not be the only tool, but it should be in the arsenal. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Big Country said:

While I agree with this, it is important to be aware of ADP data so you can spot where you are likely to get value and what players you feel are being overvalued in drafts. If you know several owners are going to go off of ADP data, you can leverage that to your advantage so you can identify players you want that you can likely afford to wait on a little bit, and those that you may have to take a little earlier if you want them.

ADP data is just another tool to add to the toolbelt. It should not be the only tool, but it should be in the arsenal. 

Completely agree with that.  My point was more about not relying so heavily on ADP.  Some lean on that way too much.  It's important to use your own rankings along with an ADP that your league will most likely be using and comparing them.  This allows you to see where your favorite players are most likely going and allows for great values and tells you not to reach on others.

I currently use a projection site (from fantasy football guys) that estimates 2017 fantasy points for all players. I plan to cross-reference that with specific sites' ADP in order to find out what value players I can wait on to pick in drafts. This is where knowledge of specific sites' ADP calculations can be very beneficial. 

Edited by gibbjaso

3 hours ago, loaf said:

or, put in your league scoring into a site, I don't know, say, thehuddle.com and have it spit out a customized cheat sheet for you...

You want the software to make your picks for you too?

If you know someone's hurt, bump up their replacement in your own rankings.

When I see a new poster with a handful of posts I figure they've stumbled across the forum and are not members of The Huddle, may not even realize the forum is attached to a membership required fantasy site.