[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How much more of this needs to go on...

Monsters Of The Midway

Or unless you're a college President or coach.

The bowl system essentially allows mediocre programs to be rewarded and continue to be mediocre. The Badgers crap their pants in the last two regular season games this year? Ah, go to a mid-level bowl, beat up some 6-5 team, and the season can be called "successful". Or insert the name of virtually any program that had a disappointing 8-3/7-4 season.

Whereas in a playoff scenario, only ONE team can claim to have had a "great" season (though I guess I'm one of those that thinks losing a close title game shouldn't bring much shame)while the other 3-7 teams get "also-ran" status and stuff like "coach x can't win the big one" talk all offseason.

583272[/snapback]

You're assuming the playoff would spell an end to the rest of the bowls. If they ran an 8 team playoff, they'd need to use 7 of the current bowls to do so. You know the story, the current big 4 bowls would rotate through the final, semis, and one of the quarters and a group of 2nd tier bowls would rotate through the other quarters. As there are about 25 bowls in all, that still leaves another 36 teams that can go to the Liberty Bowls of the world and have their good time.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're assuming the playoff would spell an end to the rest of the bowls.  If they ran an 8 team playoff, they'd need to use 7 of the current bowls to do so.  You know the story, the current big 4 bowls would rotate through the final, semis, and one of the quarters and a group of 2nd tier bowls would rotate through the other quarters.  As there are about 25 bowls in all, that still leaves another 36 teams that can go to the Liberty Bowls of the world and have their good time.

584711[/snapback]

Making the NIT every year doesn't keep college basketball coaches in jobs. That's what the 2nd tier of bowls would essentially be. I'm certain there'd be a place for them, and it would HOPEFULLY be a nice reward for teams that are good but outside the top 8, but they'd get little to no respect.

Then again, I could be wrong - being the 9th best team in college football should certainly carry a bit more weight than being the 66th best team in college basketball.

Making the NIT every year doesn't keep college basketball coaches in jobs. That's what the 2nd tier of bowls would essentially be. I'm certain there'd be a place for them, and it would HOPEFULLY be a nice reward for teams that are good but outside the top 8, but they'd get little to no respect.

Then again, I could be wrong - being the 9th best team in college football should certainly carry a bit more weight than being the 66th best team in college basketball.

586381[/snapback]

Your logic is falty...because the top 65 teams in the country do not automatically make the NCAA field in basketball. :D

586381[/snapback]

You're assuming that people currently view those lower tier bowls as any more than they are right now. The winner of the Humanitarian Bowl has no false illusions of any stake to supremacy that would be dashed by the knowledge that they never figured into the final 8.

The real effect would be that 9 less teams would qualify for bowls unless more were added (and I hope they wouldn't be).

One of the big arguments against the format I mention is that you'd be asking the fans of the best teams to travel to several sites to follow their team to the title. When you think about it, all the games in the NFL playoffs are at somebody's home field until the final game. And the other major college equivelant is NCAA hoops, but they just need to fill arenas not stadiums. That said, I'd imagine the quarter final games would attract plenty of fans from each school and the final four and NC games would end up being filled with general fans of the game with little or no ties to either team (much like the final 4 in hoops and the SB). You'd have to imagine that it would be a very hot ticket.

I don't think imagining the Championship game in a CFB playoff to be a hot ticket takes much, um, imagination.

A 16 team playoff would make the Final Four look like a Gus Macker tournament.

588580[/snapback]

16 teams could be pretty rough to pull off. Football is way more demanding than hoops and you need to leave December mostly open to continue the sharade that these players have finals.

The biggest snafu comes with squeezing the playoff system between these finals and the next semester. Apparently, most players rely on the Spring Semsester to pull their GPA back up to qualify for the fall since it's likely to slip during the season. Thus, if the play-offs lapsed over into the spring semester, they may not be able to compete based on their fall grades.