[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bengals fire defensive coordinator

The Irish Doggy

Not a hugh surprise IMO. The Bengals don't have a lot to show for the many FA acquisitions they made the last 2 years on the defensive side. People whine about the QBs, but IMO, the #1 thing keeping this team from the playoffs the last 2 years is the rush D.

From Bengals.com

Surprised Frazier moves on

1/5/2005 - 2:25 p.m.

BY GEOFF HOBSON

Frazier: Out as defensive coordinator (Bengals photo)

Head coach Marvin Lewis offered the first surprise of the Bengals offseason Wednesday when he announced that defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier won’t be signed to a new contract.

But no one appeared more surprised than Frazier when he wasn’t re-signed after a two-year stint. His unit stocked with emerging young players moved from No. 28 in the NFL last season to No. 19 this year, forced their most turnovers in eight years with 36 that included a club-tying five defensive touchdowns, and secured the Bengals’ first defensive selection to the Pro Bowl in eight years in cornerback Tory James.

In a situation where Frazier admitted there were some differences in style and philosophy, Lewis said simply that the job is open. The speculation centers solely on current Bengals assistant Chuck Bresnahan as the man to take that core to the next step. Bresnahan, who couldn’t be reached for comment, came to Cincinnati this spring after a four-year run as the Raiders defensive coordinator that included a Super Bowl appearance.

Frazier thought he and Lewis were making headway in melding their different philosophies after Lewis took over the play-calling duties for one game this season. But apparently not enough.

“There were a little differences in philosophy and a little in style, but I feel like I can work with Marvin,” said Frazier, hired by Lewis after a successful four-year run as the secondary coach for the blitz-mad Eagles. “I guess not. We improved in nearly every category, and I think the turnovers really showed how far we’d come even though we were playing with a lot of young players.”

Two days after saying he didn’t anticipate changes at his three coordinator positions, Lewis made a move on which he wouldn’t elaborate beyond a press release.

“We are excited about the potential for our defense in 2005, as we had many young players show the ability to become impact performers,” Lewis said. “We are working to put in place the best possible staff for their continued development.

“I credit Leslie for his part in leading the defense to where it is today. But I see this as the time to move to another stage in our team’s evolution. Leslie has been a credit to our organization in every way.”

Defense makes strides

By the end of the season, Frazier’s leading tackler was a rookie in middle linebacker Landon Johnson, his biggest playmaker was a rookie rush end in Robert Geathers, and his most versatile defensive back was a rookie in Madieu Williams.

“And Tory goes to the Pro Bowl for the first time in his career,” Frazier said. “It’s just one of those things; one of those things. I think our points allowed (21st in the NFL) would have been lower if we didn’t have some of our turnovers returned for (six) touchdowns.”

But Lewis apparently thinks there are some things that need fixing after allowing six 100-yard rushers in the first seven games, 48 points against the lowly Browns, and an average of 163 yards rushing against AFC North foes. The Bengals did drop a slot in NFL rush defense, from No. 25 to 26.

Frazier has always admitted being a defensive coordinator for a defensive head coach is difficult, and the move may not have had much to do with stats.

“There were challenges that people close to the situation knew, but I thought we were moving in the right direction,” Frazier said.

Frazier, 45, is one of the most respected and classiest men in the NFL who made a name for himself as a starting cornerback on the Bears’ legendary defense that rolled to the Super Bowl over the Patriots after the 1985 season. Frazier started the football program at Trinity University in Greater Chicago, where the team now plays at Frazier Field, before moving on to coach the secondary at the University of Illinois and Philadelphia.

It may come down to comfort. Lewis and Frazier certainly have different styles on and off the field. Frazier is low key while Lewis motivates with an up-tempo personality.

Similar styles

Bresnahan

If the choice is the fiery Naval Academy graduate in Bresnahan, that would appear to be a more compatible style. Lewis and Bresnahan have a relationship that dates to the day Lewis’s defensive unit in Baltimore edged the Raiders group Bresnahan coordinated, 16-3, in the 2000 AFC championship game.

Lewis didn’t hesitate hiring the 44-year-old Bresnahan this spring once Bresnahan left the Raiders in a contract dispute that could be settled this week. Oakland wanted to move him from coaching to personnel, but he wanted to stay a coach. With a year left on his Oakland contract when he signed up, Bresnahan said the Raiders picked up the difference in his ’04 salary. He’s a highly-regarded guy around the NFL who is an enticing free agent, and nearly went to Denver back in the spring.

“But this was right,” Bresnahan told bengals.com in May. “I looked at my wife and said, 'We have to do this.' I wanted to force the issue. I wanted to put pressure on Marvin to make it happen. But I didn’t have to do it. He really pushed the issue.”

Asked if there were too many cooks in the kitchen on defense, Frazier said, “I’m not going to comment on that. I wish these guys good luck. I enjoyed the players and coaches. I wish I could be there to see it through.”