[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vikings lose their offensive coordinator

bigsnell

KFAN site

Linehan as reportedly signed with Miami. I honestly did not see him resigning with MN because of the money available and Tice's uncertain future.

Does anyone else see this as taking a step backwards. There are definately better coordinators out there, but we have had this system in place for 3 years now and the offense is one of the few areas where we have had some continuity. Plus, how many big name coordinators are going to sign with at team where the coach only has one year left.

Things are not looking real good for Minnesota next year, IMO. There are beginning to be more and more question marks.

KFAN site

Does anyone else see this as taking a step backwards.  There are definately better coordinators out there, but we have had this system in place for 3 years now and the offense is one of the few areas where we have had some continuity.  Plus, how many big name coordinators are going to sign with at team where the coach only has one year left.

661972[/snapback]

How important is an offensive coordinator to a quarterback that is continually improvising on the field? Maybe that's the system that's been in place, but it has always seemed to me that C-Pepp is making it up as he goes out there half the time.

the Vikings hired their offensive line coach, Steve Loney, as the new offensive coordinator. He has been the line coach since 2002.

This is a cheap fix until Red sells the team and the new owner finds a new coaching staff!!

the Vikings hired their offensive line coach, Steve Loney, as the new offensive coordinator.  He has been the line coach since 2002.

This is a cheap fix until Red sells the team and the new owner finds a new coaching staff!!

663482[/snapback]

I have no idea if Loney is experienced enough to call the plays, but I thought Linehan was horrible and I for one am extremely happy that he is gone. As a for instance, with 5 minutes left in the Divisonal PLayoof game against the Eagles, being down by 3 TD's, the Vikings were throwing little screen passes in the middle of the field that gained them close to nothing and ran down the clock.

Linehan did not know how to play to the strengths of the Vikings offense. You've got Culpepper and Moss, so chuck that puppy down field more than once a game. You've got an outstanding stable of RB's so run that sucker down their throats over and over again. You've got a TE and 2 other WR's besides Moss to go over the middle, so get them to sacrifice their bodies and burn those linebackers. But all Linehan knew was the screen pass and variations on the end around. Maddening! :D

I too am happy about Linehan leaving, I am not sure why he was such a "hot" prospect. Let's see what he does in Miami with a bad QB, no Moss and no running game.

Loney was a college OC so I guess he has some experience.

Vikings must have some kind of love affair with O'line coaches..first Tice to HC and now Loney to OC. Guys must be clamoring for the open O Line coaching job!!!