[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Colts Re-sign Right Tackle

CaptainHook

The Colts locked up their right tackle for the next seven years by signing Ryan Diem to a seven-year deal worth a little more than $36 million. Included in the deal are signing and option bonuses in excess of $10 million a year.

"This is the best of all worlds," Diem's agent Cliff Brady told The Associated Press. "He got the team he wanted, the deal he wanted and it worked out real well."

The contract will pay Diem $19 million over the first three years of the contract and fill out the base of a solid offensive line.

"All things being equal, he wanted to stay," Brady told the AP. "So it's great he could get a deal done at the place he wanted to play."

With Diem under contract, the Colts are solid at both right and left tackle because left tackle Tarik Glenn is signed through 2007. Jeff Saturday is locked in through 2008 and is on the verge of becoming one of the best centers in the game.

"I think (Diem's signing is) huge because you have your left tackle, center and right tackle set," Brady told the AP. "You have receivers set, and the only thing that's missing is the guards."

The next move comes Tuesday when the Colts are expected to put the non-exclusive franchise tag on halfback Edgerrin James. Though a final decision on what to do with James wasn't made by Monday afternoon, the team pretty much decided by early morning that it couldn't afford to lose him to free agency and get nothing in return.

Front office discussions involving James were to determine whether to give him the exclusive or non-exclusive franchise tag or give him the transition designation. The non-exclusive franchise tag would count against the cap as a one-year contract at $8.08 million. The exclusive franchise tag could come in a little higher depending on free agency.

The Colts are expected to keep kicker Mike Vanderjagt despite a $2.8735 million cap number. The one casualty could be tight end Marcus Pollard. If he's released, Pollard would save the Colts $2.649 million of cap room.

link

Nice job by the Colts getting Diem done. Good player. It looks like the Colts will probably lose G Rick DeMulling now. I doubt they sign both guys. But having the core of their o-line coming back is a good thing. I would think Vandy, Pollard, and Saturday may all rework their contracts with a simple restructuring to give the Colts even more room. That leaves Edgerrin James as the big unknown. I expect the Colts to put the Non-exclusive Franchise Tag on Edge tomorrow. After that, I'm not sure what will happen. I don't think there is going to be much of a market for RB's to trade him, with the glut of available FA's. I'm not sure the Colts want to sign him to a long term deal. I'm sure Edge doesn't want to play for the one year tender.

Edited by CaptainHook

Nice job by the Colts getting Diem done.  Good player.  It looks like the Colts will probably lose G Rick DeMulling now.  I doubt they sign both guys.  But having the core of their o-line coming back is a good thing.  I would think Vandy, Pollard, and Saturday may all rework their contracts with a simple restructuring to give the Colts even more room.  That leaves Edgerrin James as the big unknown.  I expect the Colts to put the Non-exclusive Franchise Tag on Edge tomorrow.  After that, I'm not sure what will happen.  I don't think there is going to be much of a market for RB's to trade him, with the glut of available FA's.  I'm not sure the Colts want to sign him to a long term deal.  I'm sure Edge doesn't want to play for the one year tender.

707132[/snapback]

:D

Considering it was their RT, an important part of the offensive line, I don't think it was a bad idea. 7 years for $36 million isn't exactly a break-the-bank type contract. The Colts are once again, re-signing their own free agents. They wouldn't have been a major player in signing other team's free agents anyway. The one guy I wish they hadn't let get away was LB Marcus Washington last year.

That leaves Edgerrin James as the big unknown.  I expect the Colts to put the Non-exclusive Franchise Tag on Edge tomorrow.  After that, I'm not sure what will happen.  I don't think there is going to be much of a market for RB's to trade him, with the glut of available FA's.  I'm not sure the Colts want to sign him to a long term deal.  I'm sure Edge doesn't want to play for the one year tender.

707132[/snapback]

Tell you what Captain, since I'm a season ticket holder, I feel confident in speaking for the Seahawks. :D I'll trade you Alexander for Edge straight up?

Edited by Bonehand