[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Hidden Game of Football

godtomsatan

I found a copy of Thorn, Palmer, and whoever else's "The Hidden Game of Football". A 1988 stats treatment of the game that breaks down the "value" of particular stats and situations.

It's been out of print for awhile, but kind of an interesting read so far. Not sure I think it has much value in terms of analyzing future production, and the game has changed a great deal since originally published. Anyone else have toughts on it?

I found a copy of Thorn, Palmer, and whoever else's "The Hidden Game of Football". A 1988 stats treatment of the game that breaks down the "value" of particular stats and situations.

It's been out of print for awhile, but kind of an interesting read so far. Not sure I think it has much value in terms of analyzing future production, and the game has changed a great deal since originally published. Anyone else have toughts on it?

713248[/snapback]

They came out with another version in '98. It's going for about $100 on amazon, used. :eek: What the hell is in that book? :D

They came out with another version in '98.  It's going for about $100 on amazon, used. :eek: What the hell is in that book? :D

713274[/snapback]

The "Total Football II"? That's just an encyclopedia.....

The "Total Football II"? That's just an encyclopedia.....

713455[/snapback]

It's The Hidden Game of Football: The Next generation.

The original publication of The Hidden Game of Football revolutionized the way fans perceive the sport. Now, after changes in rules, new trends in strategy, and 10 more seasons of statistical footprints, the updated Hidden Game uncovers fresh insights while reinforcing the book's original concepts. You'll find interesting angles on stats and strategy, while learning how to build the best fantasy team and who should (and shouldn't) be in the Hall of Fame. The updated Hidden Game will settle many simmering arguments and start countless new ones. The book is required reading for every fan who seeks a deeper understanding of the sport.

My guess is that its the football equivalent to the sabremetric-type and computer modeled baseball statistics that Bill James started and several baseball GMs follow (and this is where I'll plug Moneyball if you've never read it). Basically this values players on some method other than on traditional statistics. Problem is that while the works for baseball, I doubt it does for football. And this is still just a guess on the book's content. I'll check it out next time I'm in a book store.

My guess is that its the football equivalent to the sabremetric-type and computer modeled baseball statistics that  Bill James started and several baseball GMs follow (and this is where I'll plug Moneyball if you've never read it).  Basically this values players on some method other than on traditional statistics.  Problem is that while the works for baseball, I doubt it does for football.  And this is still just a guess on the book's content.  I'll check it out next time I'm in a book store.

713594[/snapback]

I finished the book. It's more Bill James and less Clay Davenport (formulas vs. computers).

Some decent info regarding evaluating offensive and defensive lines, special teams, and re-evaluating the QB ratings. I'd love to see the 2nd edition to see if they really updated much, since most of what they did in this edition involved straight foward numbers and formulae, though between 1988 and now, there is all kinds of possibilities for new computer analysis.