[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fantasy Baseball

darin3

In my 11-team (yeah, I know, weird number) league, I'm wallowing in third-to-last place. I have 50 roto points, as compared to 83 for first. My pitching is HORRIBLE. All 1's, except saves (5). My offense is excellent: Tejada, Ortiz, M. Young, Wright, Casey, Sheff, Damon, Patterson - to name a few.

I just sent Brian Giles off (I have decent OF replacements: Sizemore, Hidalgo) for Ben Sheets. Sheets has been out for awhile with an ear infection, but should get back to his solid ways... well, hopefully.

How'd I do here? Pretty good, I believe. The other owner desperately needed offense... and specifically an OF. He has a ton of solid SPs. So it made sense for both sides. Thoughts? :D

I have Giles and like him a lot..But when sheets is on hes one of the best..We need to see if sheets turns it around..If he gets back to form its a nice move as long as Hidalgo can keep up the nice pace he has set..

In my 11-team (yeah, I know, weird number) league, I'm wallowing in third-to-last place.  I have 50 roto points, as compared to 83 for first.  My pitching is HORRIBLE.  All 1's, except saves (5).  My offense is excellent:  Tejada, Ortiz, M. Young, Wright, Casey, Sheff, Damon, Patterson - to name a few.

I just sent Brian Giles off (I have decent OF replacements: Sizemore, Hidalgo) for Ben Sheets.  Sheets has been out for awhile with an ear infection, but should get back to his solid ways... well, hopefully.

How'd I do here?  Pretty good, I believe.  The other owner desperately needed offense... and specifically an OF.  He has a ton of solid SPs.  So it made sense for both sides.  Thoughts?  :D

833223[/snapback]

I like it. I made a similar trade (I was stacked on the offensive side and needed SPs) a few weeks back when I moved Giles for Brandon Webb. Of course, this was right as Giles was beginning his hot streak, so I probably could've got more if I had held onto him for a few more weeks - but I'm happy with what I got. I'd be happier if I were able to get Sheets . . .

I have Giles and like him a lot..But when sheets is on hes one of the best..We need to see if sheets turns it around..If he gets back to form its a nice move as long as Hidalgo can keep up the nice pace he has set..

833284[/snapback]

I like it.  I made a similar trade (I was stacked on the offensive side and needed SPs) a few weeks back when I moved Giles for Brandon Webb.  Of course, this was right as Giles was beginning his hot streak, so I probably could've got more if I had held onto him for a few more weeks - but I'm happy with what I got.  I'd be happier if I were able to get Sheets . . .

833304[/snapback]

Thanks for your comments, fellas. Makes me feel better about it. I am a huge Giles fan and being near San Diego, I get to see and hear of him alot. But Sheets could be huge for me. Tons of points to make up in Ks, wins, ERA & WHIP.

I've got Sheets (3rd Round). we all know he's been a disappoint mostly due to the ear infection. I really hope he gets back to '04 form. I think you made a good move...trade from strength and that's what you did...

Hey just anther question is Sizemore a reliable CF,  I know where he stands but he is truly the only flaw in my team Hollins(TB) is also available with a .318 avg.??  Thoughts?

835067[/snapback]

I have Sizemore in the same league as discussed above. We have a HUGE bench and start 5 OFs, so depending on your league's size and starting roster, he is certainly a solid OF choice. He'll get you runs, SBs and a decent average. Take Sizemore over Hollins, every day.

Just pulled the trigger on a deal in my 10 team 5x5 league:

I gave - Crisp, Turnbow & Reitsma

I got - Crawford

I like the deal, as I clearly got the best player in the mix (especially the way he's been playing lately). I really needed the steals and I figured that Crawford would improve on that .270 - in short, I think he'll just get better as the year goes on. I can't imagine Crisp keeping this level of play up and I think Turnbow is about to hit a wall as well - he hasn't looked great lately. Reitsma - who knows.

I'm left with KRod and Street as my closers (picked up Aquino and stashed him on my DL as well - I think he'll end up being the man in Zona before too long - Lyon's health is very suspect and Bruney sucks). Yeah - I gave up 2 closers, but I think they're average at best and I will be able to jump on whoever the next closer du jour is.

Let me know what you think.

Just pulled the trigger on a deal in my 10 team 5x5 league:

I gave - Crisp, Turnbow & Reitsma

I got - Crawford

I like the deal, as I clearly got the best player in the mix (especially the way he's been playing lately).  I really needed the steals and I figured that Crawford would improve on that .270 - in short, I think he'll just get better as the year goes on.  I can't imagine Crisp keeping this level of play up and I think Turnbow is about to hit a wall as well - he hasn't looked great lately.  Reitsma - who knows.

I'm left with KRod and Street as my closers (picked up Aquino and stashed him on my DL as well - I think he'll end up being the man in Zona before too long - Lyon's health is very suspect and Bruney sucks).  Yeah - I gave up 2 closers, but I think they're average at best and I will be able to jump on whoever the next closer du jour is. 

Let me know what you think.

837224[/snapback]

Hey if you're happy with it, then it's a good deal... :D

But in my mind, I think you gave up too much. It would have been better, in my opinion, if you only gave one closer w/ Crisp.

Don't get me wrong: I am a huge Crawford guy. Had him last year and his rookie year. He's a stud. Maybe I haven't paid enough attention lately, but early in the season, he was nowhere near what he was doing the past two seasons. Is Piniella still moving him around in the order? He's far more valuable as a leadoff guy. Sure, the RBIs are nice out of the 3-hole, but heck, he was getting RBIs at the leadoff spot, too!!!

Crisp is the real deal. I made a blunder in a 11-team roto league a month or so back when Crisp was slumping and dropped him outright. Fortunately, I was able to land Crisp-lite (Sizemore) for some speed.

I don't think you did terribly, as you obviously got the best player in the transaction, but I do think two legit closers (at least for now) and a solid OF was maybe a bit too much to give up. Turnbow looks to be locked in. Heck, look what Kolb did last season for the Brew Crew. No reason why Turnbow can't do the same. Speaking of Kolb, he sucks this year; and Reitsma (a solid relief guy over the past few seasons) is making the most of it. The Braves are going to have a ton of save chances and Reitsma could save 25 the rest of the way out.

Just my $.02.

Hey if you're happy with it, then it's a good deal... :D

But in my mind, I think you gave up too much.  It would have been better, in my opinion, if you only gave one closer w/ Crisp. 

Don't get me wrong:  I am a huge Crawford guy.  Had him last year and his rookie year.  He's a stud.  Maybe I haven't paid enough attention lately, but early in the season, he was nowhere near what he was doing the past two seasons.  Is Piniella still moving him around in the order?  He's far more valuable as a leadoff guy.  Sure, the RBIs are nice out of the 3-hole, but heck, he was getting RBIs at the leadoff spot, too!!! 

Crisp is the real deal. I made a blunder in a 11-team roto league a month or so back when Crisp was slumping and dropped him outright.  Fortunately, I was able to land Crisp-lite (Sizemore) for some speed. 

I don't think you did terribly, as you obviously got the best player in the transaction, but I do think two legit closers (at least for now) and a solid OF was maybe a bit too much to give up.  Turnbow looks to be locked in.  Heck, look what Kolb did last season for the Brew Crew.  No reason why Turnbow can't do the same.  Speaking of Kolb, he sucks this year; and Reitsma (a solid relief guy over the past few seasons) is making the most of it.  The Braves are going to have a ton of save chances and Reitsma could save 25 the rest of the way out. 

Just my $.02.

837250[/snapback]

I can see that view, but I really don't think too much of closers outside of the top 10 or so - they come and go with such frequency that I am 100% sure that I will be able to pick up another one soon enough. I had no need for 4 closers anyway.

I'm not so sure that Crisp is the real deal - I was quite sure that he would be excellent all year when I drafted him, then he absolutely sucked for the 1st few months. He's a very streaky player, so I assume that he's about due for slump - I think he'll be ok overall, but not in the same league as Crawford.

Turnbow's ERA and WHIP over the last month are terrible. He started out strong, but I've been watching his games closely and he's been much more hittable of late. While he might stay on as the closer and get some saves, I don't think that his overall ratios will be too great from hereon in. While I marketed him as a top-ten closer, I don't think he's anywhere near that at this point.

I don't see where everyone keeps getting the "solid relief guy" thing when they talk about Reitsma. His ERA has consistently been over 4, his WHIP over 1.30 and he doesn't strike many guys out - what's so solid about that? He's pitching well right now, but history would indicate that he will falter sooner or later.

I'll just cross my fingers that Aquino pans out like I hope he will. Zona produces many save opps and he showed last year that he can do the job.

I can see that view, but I really don't think too much of closers outside of the top 10 or so - they come and go with such frequency that I am 100% sure that I will be able to pick up another one soon enough.  I had no need for 4 closers anyway. 

I'm not so sure that Crisp is the real deal - I was quite sure that he would be excellent all year when I drafted him, then he absolutely sucked for the 1st few months.  He's a very streaky player, so I assume that he's about due for slump - I think he'll be ok overall, but not in the same league as Crawford.

Turnbow's ERA and WHIP over the last month are terrible.  He started out strong, but I've been watching his games closely and he's been much more hittable of late.  While he might stay on as the closer and get some saves, I don't think that his overall ratios will be too great from hereon in.  While I marketed him as a top-ten closer, I don't think he's anywhere near that at this point.

I don't see where everyone keeps getting the "solid relief guy" thing when they talk about Reitsma.  His ERA has consistently been over 4, his WHIP over 1.30 and he doesn't strike many guys out - what's so solid about that?  He's pitching well right now, but history would indicate that he will falter sooner or later. 

I'll just cross my fingers that Aquino pans out like I hope he will.  Zona produces many save opps and he showed last year that he can do the job.

837311[/snapback]

I see all your points... I was just saying you probably could have got away with giving up one of those two closers & Crisp and the Crawford owner probably would have bitten. You could have turned the other closer into another potential deal. :D Especially since you have Aquino, he'll be closing in a week.

Crawford has proved to be just as streaky as Crisp - at least this season.

I've had Reitsma a couple of times over the past 3-4 seasons. He was a win-vulturing machine for the Reds and Braves a couple of seasons. His ERA floated around 3.80 to 4.00, but so what? He only pitched 1-2 innings... he had 9-10 wins in just over a half-season when I had him. Incredible. Sure, maybe he's not ultra-valuable as a closer because he doesn't strike guys out... but for someone really lacking in the saves category, you could have pawned him off.

I see all your points... I was just saying you probably could have got away with giving up one of those two closers & Crisp and the Crawford owner probably would have bitten.  You could have turned the other closer into another potential deal.  :D  Especially since you have Aquino, he'll be closing in a week.

Crawford has proved to be just as streaky as Crisp - at least this season.

I've had Reitsma a couple of times over the past 3-4 seasons.  He was a win-vulturing machine for the Reds and Braves a couple of seasons.  His ERA floated around 3.80 to 4.00, but so what?  He only pitched 1-2 innings... he had 9-10 wins in just over a half-season when I had him.  Incredible.  Sure, maybe he's not ultra-valuable as a closer because he doesn't strike guys out... but for someone really lacking in the saves category, you could have pawned him off.

837324[/snapback]

The trade that went down was the product of much negotiation - there was no biting if less than 2 closers were involved.

My point with Crisp was just that the guy we've seen over the last 2 weeks isn't the real Coco - he's only half of the total package. All things considered, Crawford should have much better overall numbers by year's end. He'll have fewer HR (but I doubt by much - Carl's been no slouch in that department thus far) and a similar BA, but I think he'll take every other category.

Win vultures are always hard to value b/c they're so unpredictable. That said, Reitsma won't be vulturing too many Ws as the closer - I just think that his mediocre ratios will eventually catch up with him. Who knows - Mazzone may be able to fix Kolb (who I hear hasn't been very receptive to constructive criticism) and he'll be back as the closer in a month? I actually hope this happens b/c Kolb is a FA in this league . . .

You really think Aquino will be closing before long? I have my hopes, but Lyon's status is so up in the air right now . . .

Also, what do you think of Doumit? The dude was lighting it up in AAA - you think he gets a real shot in PIT? I could use him as a filler for VMart (who seems to miss a lot of games and has quieted down again).

The trade that went down was the product of much negotiation - there was no biting if less than 2 closers were involved. 

My point with Crisp was just that the guy we've seen over the last 2 weeks isn't the real Coco - he's only half of the total package.  All things considered, Crawford should have much better overall numbers by year's end.  He'll have fewer HR (but I doubt by much - Carl's been no slouch in that department thus far) and a similar BA, but I think he'll take every other category. 

Win vultures are always hard to value b/c they're so unpredictable.  That said, Reitsma won't be vulturing too many Ws as the closer - I just think that his mediocre ratios will eventually catch up with him.  Who knows - Mazzone may be able to fix Kolb (who I hear hasn't been very receptive to constructive criticism) and he'll be back as the closer in a month?  I actually hope this happens b/c Kolb is a FA in this league . . .

837341[/snapback]

Ah, well then it looks like you probably got a good deal then. Crawford, in the long run, will be far better than Crisp. That's for sure. And since you could afford to lose two "fringe" closers, then that's even better.

Kolb went out as a FA in a league of mine, too. I am stocked at pitchers, though, and couldn't afford to drop anyone. He's certainly fixable.

Ah, well then it looks like you probably got a good deal then.  Crawford, in the long run, will be far better than Crisp.  That's for sure.  And since you could afford to lose two "fringe" closers, then that's even better. 

Kolb went out as a FA in a league of mine, too.  I am stocked at pitchers, though, and couldn't afford to drop anyone.  He's certainly fixable.

837349[/snapback]

I should also mention that Crisp was basically a bench player (he and Rowand would share time) for me with the return of Wily Mo Pena (who I am expecting A LOT from). Now that I have Crawford, Rowand earns a permanent seat on the bench (unless/until he heats up).