[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Manny Wright

Duchess Jack

College fans. How good is this kid. I know he has issues - but folk seem to be pretty high on him. Did we get a good deal?

Also - how many times a year - if at all would Saban had played against him? I am just wondering from his own scouting end.

Bueller, Bueller?

Has anyone see this kid play?  Where does the hype come from (the liberal dominated media had him going at 2).  Did Saban have occasion to play against him?

882321[/snapback]

I dont think Saban got to play against him. Basically Wright was a backup with USC but played very well in the Championship game against Oklahoma. I read somewhere that he was next to impossible to block in that game BUT so were the rest of the Trojans. Since Miami needs some help I think it was a good pickup.

For a fifth rounder, not to mention it was Miami's SECOND fifth rounder, a solid pick for a BIG need position. He only had 16 reps at his workout, and that, along with the rest of his workout really hurt him. Hey, I don't have (nor am I inclined) to go get all the links, but the story seems to be this: He is immature, and has to be ridden to work hard. He has the raw skills and athletisism to be a dominant DT down the road. If he had stayed in school, he would have been a 1st or second round pick next year (even that would have been as a junior, eligibilty wise).

Given Miami's condition at DT, he may just see a lot of playing time this year. Miami has Chester (knee injury-BOTH knees) Traylor and Zgonina... all 35 years old. Attempts to convert Hoiliday and or Carter into DT's looks like it's already failed, even before the pads are on. Miami's D is really hurting up the middle, unless one of these 35 year old guys surprise, which opens the door for even a rookie as unpolished as Wright is, to have a chance to start.

For a fifth rounder, not to mention it was Miami's SECOND fifth rounder, a solid pick for a BIG need position. He only had 16 reps at his workout, and that, along with the rest of his workout really hurt him. Hey, I don't have (nor am I inclined) to go get all the links, but the story seems to be this: He is immature, and has to be ridden to work hard. He has the raw skills and athletisism to be a dominant DT down the road. If he had stayed in school, he would have been a 1st or second round pick next year (even that would have been as a junior, eligibilty wise).

Given Miami's condition at DT, he may just see a lot of playing time this year. Miami has Chester (knee injury-BOTH knees) Traylor and Zgonina... all 35 years old. Attempts to convert Hoiliday and or Carter into DT's looks like it's already failed, even before the pads are on. Miami's D is really hurting up the middle, unless one of these 35 year old guys surprise, which opens the door for even a rookie as unpolished as Wright is, to have a chance to start.

882709[/snapback]

Good info Rovers

Thanks Rovers. Agreed, with Tbo and Chester hurting - Tbo retiring - it was a big need position. I hope it will work out, because despite the media predicting him to go for a second - the work ethic and such (numbers, etc) were very disappointing. I just have not seen his value on paper. Thanks for the heads up.